Drum Line on the Oscars?

I agree!!! The over-indulgence of the Oscars is almost as bad as these "marching bands" driving around the country all summer spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, using up precious natural resources (fuel), adding expenses to local governments (using school showers running up the water bill), and killing the grass on every public school field....

...and they have the the NERVE to crown their own champion without letting the people decide! Geez :thumbup:

Hehe - I was thinking the same thing. And the corps spend months working on their glittery, fancy-schmancy outfits in hopes of generating that all-important audience buzz too. At least the Oscar films like Slumdog and Milk promote socially responsible causes, whereas drum corps tour the country promoting gambling (Triple Crown, The Boxer), violence (Spartacus, Samurai), and crime and corruption (Godfather Part Blue, My Kind of Town). :smile:

It was a nice surprise to see the drums step up and about as good an integration of a drum line into a 'standard' production as I've seen.

Edited by Willie85

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:begin slight bit of sarcasm:

IMHO, the Oscars is the biggest piece of self-regurgitated show business crap ever produced. Why do we really care what any of these over-paid, self-indulgent, holier-than-thou celebrities are "wearing" when Joe American and his neighbor are losing their jobs and trying to figure out how to buy clothes for their kids, much less for an awards show? Yeah its all in fun, but all I could think about while my wife was watching to the four hour long pre-pre-preshow for the red carpet pre-show was how sickened I was that these people were showing off their bling in the face of the worst recession to hit this country since the 1930's. There was ZERO sensitivity to anyone going through rough times. "Look at me, I'm a super star with millions of dollars and you love me!" All that while the guy at home checks his wallet one last time, trying to decide how to make Top Ramen stretch one more week. Sickening.

And while I'm at it, I have to ask, is an Academy Award REALLY an award? Not really. Seeing as though the general public does not get to choose the nominees or vote for the winners, the "Oscar" is really nothing more than a yearly Hollywood popularity contest with a not-so-rare excuse for industry wing-dingers to overspend on booze and Broads and put it on their expense report. This so everyone in the biz can one-up each other in the tabloids the next day.

Oh and in case you're wondering, I'm wearing Target Pajamas and Haines boxers. Really? Not interested? I didn't think so.

(I'm not bitter or anything... lol!)

:sarcasm off:

Bitter much?

About the red carpet, glame, etc., the answer is as old as the hills: Bread & Circuses. People want and need to live vicariously through the rich and famous (as appauling as I find that to be.)

As for "the general public", as much as the Oscars have turned into a public event, it is about Hollywood honoring its own. The public gets to "vote" by plunking down their cash at the box office. Oscar night is for the people in the business.

I personally find the evening rewarding, especially when something that I've worked on is being recognized by the industry. If you're not interested don't watch, nobody will be offended.

Oh and in case you're wondering, I'm wearing Target Pajamas and Haines boxers. Really? Not interested? I didn't think so.

That's still a better get-up than the do-rag Philip Seymour Hoffman was sporting.

:begin slight bit of sarcasm:

IMHO, the Oscars is the biggest piece of self-regurgitated show business crap ever produced. Why do we really care what any of these over-paid, self-indulgent, holier-than-thou celebrities are "wearing" when Joe American and his neighbor are losing their jobs and trying to figure out how to buy clothes for their kids, much less for an awards show? Yeah its all in fun, but all I could think about while my wife was watching to the four hour long pre-pre-preshow for the red carpet pre-show was how sickened I was that these people were showing off their bling in the face of the worst recession to hit this country since the 1930's. There was ZERO sensitivity to anyone going through rough times. "Look at me, I'm a super star with millions of dollars and you love me!" All that while the guy at home checks his wallet one last time, trying to decide how to make Top Ramen stretch one more week. Sickening.

And while I'm at it, I have to ask, is an Academy Award REALLY an award? Not really. Seeing as though the general public does not get to choose the nominees or vote for the winners, the "Oscar" is really nothing more than a yearly Hollywood popularity contest with a not-so-rare excuse for industry wing-dingers to overspend on booze and Broads and put it on their expense report. This so everyone in the biz can one-up each other in the tabloids the next day.

(I'm not bitter or anything... lol!)

:sarcasm off:

Oh yeah of course you are are right. How dare hollywood celebrate itself? you know Drum corps would never do something like use music from hollywood movies, maybe even ones that have come from oscar movies. I don't know maybe Spartucus, west side story, star wars. how dare the activity pull its inspiration from such a self-indulgent group of people. Because DCI doesn't have any of those kind of people. :thumbup:

Man-o-Man that Penelope Cruz what a hottie did anyone check that necklace & earings out ?

Oh yeah the drumline was ok . :thumbup:

That's still a better get-up than the do-rag Philip Seymour Hoffman was sporting.
Whats that guy thinking of he's not the best looking guy and toput whatever that thing

is on his head he kind of reminded me of JABBA THE HUT ! :thumbup:

Bitter much?

About the red carpet, glame, etc., the answer is as old as the hills: Bread & Circuses. People want and need to live vicariously through the rich and famous (as appauling as I find that to be.)

As for "the general public", as much as the Oscars have turned into a public event, it is about Hollywood honoring its own. The public gets to "vote" by plunking down their cash at the box office. Oscar night is for the people in the business.

I personally find the evening rewarding, especially when something that I've worked on is being recognized by the industry. If you're not interested don't watch, nobody will be offended.

Did you work on a movie nominated for an Oscar?! If so, congratulations!

There was ZERO sensitivity to anyone going through rough times. "Look at me, I'm a super star with millions of dollars and you love me!" All that while the guy at home checks his wallet one last time, trying to decide how to make Top Ramen stretch one more week.

Actually, wasn't the recession the whole idea behind Hugh Jackman's opening number with the cardboard sets?

Actually, that seemed to be a popular look for the Slumdog Millionaire contingent, and, as far as I could tell, Mickey Rourke. And, as political as the Oscars seem to be, I think the Oscar success of Slumdog says alot about the current state of affairs. Hope things pick up for you out there NE44.