Next Corps to move out of this thread and into WC thread

Teal Sound has more work to do. The organization has gotten slightly better but needs to work on keeping a percussion staff, and before they move up need to win in my opinion 2 championships. Also, before the bashing begins, Im a 3 year alumni of the corps and due to possible future corps connections (being on staff with a different corps) and not wanting to offend anyone I will stay anonymous except to those involved with Teal who wish to know who I am and why I feel this way. I am not posting to bash my former corps, but simply expressing an opinion, and since I carry the corps with me everyday and for the rest of my life (hint for those involved with Teal for more than 3 years) I feel I have earned that right.

Winning 2 championships is not needed to move up, just ask Surf, Academy, Blue Stars, etc.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question - is it the goal of the Open Class corps to eventually move up to World? Obviously the B and C corps would never move up (or would they?), but corps that are independent organizations, are they all trying to make it to World somewhere down the line?

Honest question that this thread got me thinking about.

Question - is it the goal of the Open Class corps to eventually move up to World? Obviously the B and C corps would never move up (or would they?), but corps that are independent organizations, are they all trying to make it to World somewhere down the line?

Honest question that this thread got me thinking about.

I would guess that if you were currently performing night after night for zero revenue from DCI and the next category up you get $1,000 - $6,000 a night in revenue...I'm thinking for most corps...the answer is...YES.

But, that's the knee jerk reaction. That money comes with strings (money seldom comes for nothing). So, is it worth the strings? In some regards yes. In some cases, no thanks.

I stand by what I said before, I believe Teal and Cap. Reg. are looking to get into WC. For Cap, Reg. it would be a readmission.

Those corps could be our best resource as to the whys of wanting to be in World Class as opposed to Open Class.

From my dealings with Academy, it was made apparent to me the organizations goal from very early on was to compete at the World Class level in DCI. The org built it as one of its long term goals when it began. Looks like so far, it's been a decent choice for them.

thanks sweet pea

well actually sweet pea is a good friend of mine....

to answer the other question...i think it is the goal of most corps to put a quality product on the field and to provide a positive experience for young adults. the want to go world class may be in the back of the mind, but i doubt it is the immediate goal of any new corps to become a world class corps off the bat.

Winning 2 championships is not needed to move up, just ask Surf, Academy, Blue Stars, etc.

Blue stars is a bad example to use here, they had a long history of being very competitve in Division 2 and 3 and won several titles before moving back up to Division 1. If you look at Cap Reg and Mandarins, niether have been very successful in Division 1 since niether have made finals. The only Open class (2/3) corps to have made finals since moving up are the Cascades and Blue Stars and the Cascades had to take a year off and merge with Spoakne Thunder this year to come back. The only corps that have moved up to World Classand not folded are Blue Stars, Mandarins, and Capital Regiment and all three hada very long and very successful 2/3 career. You cant really observe Academy yet due to their limited time of existence, although they seem to be doing well.

The reason I said you need to win two is that by showing you can win and win more than once you show DCI and other people that you are a top notch corps and are a consistently top notch corps. Teal has proven that they can compete in Open Class, and thats it. I do not want to see my corps move up to World Class just to be another corps that makes semis every year and occasionally peaks in at 13 or makes finals once every 3-4 years. It seems when corps do not establish themselves in the lower division when they move up to world class they do OK but never make it to that elite level. I know Teal has the dream and the desire to be an elite level World Class corps but based on history I wish they would stay in Open Class for long enough to show they can dominate their and do it consisently.

Blue stars is a bad example to use here, they had a long history of being very competitve in Division 2 and 3 and won several titles before moving back up to Division 1. If you look at Cap Reg and Mandarins, niether have been very successful in Division 1 since niether have made finals. The only Open class (2/3) corps to have made finals since moving up are the Cascades and Blue Stars and the Cascades had to take a year off and merge with Spoakne Thunder this year to come back. The only corps that have moved up to World Classand not folded are Blue Stars, Mandarins, and Capital Regiment and all three hada very long and very successful 2/3 career. You cant really observe Academy yet due to their limited time of existence, although they seem to be doing well.

The reason I said you need to win two is that by showing you can win and win more than once you show DCI and other people that you are a top notch corps and are a consistently top notch corps. Teal has proven that they can compete in Open Class, and thats it. I do not want to see my corps move up to World Class just to be another corps that makes semis every year and occasionally peaks in at 13 or makes finals once every 3-4 years. It seems when corps do not establish themselves in the lower division when they move up to world class they do OK but never make it to that elite level. I know Teal has the dream and the desire to be an elite level World Class corps but based on history I wish they would stay in Open Class for long enough to show they can dominate their and do it consisently.

What exactly is your argument? Let me help attempt to refine your points. Did you know that some Top 12 corps weren't always in Div. 1? I think it was Crown who briefly took a step back after their first year in Div. I. Maybe it was Glassmen...I forget now, but come on.

Academy, Blue Stars, Cascades, Mandarins, Pioneer and Capital Regiment have spent time in Div. II/III of DCI. None of them were ever Open Class corps because it did not exist back then.

And if your argument is salient, how do you explain Magic of Orlando?

The secret isn't finishing first, it's having quality competent management. Someone has to finish second, third, etc. It's only one number out of several.

The most important thing a World Class corps can do is to compete in every show...give the members the maximum number of possible performance opportunties. And...right along with that...is to be fiscally sound year in and year out.

The corps who manage those two things year in and out end up being the top corps because of those two principles.

What exactly is your argument? Let me help attempt to refine your points. Did you know that some Top 12 corps weren't always in Div. 1? I think it was Crown who briefly took a step back after their first year in Div. I. Maybe it was Glassmen...I forget now, but come on.

Academy, Blue Stars, Cascades, Mandarins, Pioneer and Capital Regiment have spent time in Div. II/III of DCI. None of them were ever Open Class corps because it did not exist back then.

And if your argument is salient, how do you explain Magic of Orlando?

The secret isn't finishing first, it's having quality competent management. Someone has to finish second, third, etc. It's only one number out of several.

The most important thing a World Class corps can do is to compete in every show...give the members the maximum number of possible performance opportunties. And...right along with that...is to be fiscally sound year in and year out.

The corps who manage those two things year in and out end up being the top corps because of those two principles.

First let me start by saying Open Class is the same as Div 2/3. Say what you want. It's the same. Not arguing that anymore.

Academy spent one full year in DIV 2.. they start a strong organization from year one so they a huge plus on their side.

Magic or Orlando in my mind was never Div 2... they had to compete in Div 2 because they were inactive for more than 2 years. This might/might not be the case with Cap Regiment.

Blue Stars never dominated Div 2 before going up to Div 1. 2004 and 2005 they were bigger in numbers but competitively the same as the years they were small with 50 kids on the field.

Just my $0.02, take it or leave it.