Essay Discussion-STAR 93

In my aplang class, we were assigned a pretty broad essay asking us to "evaluate" something. Basically, I get to choose anything in the world and tell about its effects on things related to it and also good things and bad things relating to that topic.

Since the topic is so broad, I've sort of narrowed down what I want to Star 93 and its effects on the drum corps community and how it was ahead of its time and how it got booed and #### alot blah blah blah etc etc.

While I certainly have my own perceptions of that show to draw from, I think it would help a lot if some of you could post your perceptions and opinions of the show so maybe I can better get a grip on what I want to write about... It would especially help if some of you guys who were not infants in 93 to contribute :thumbdown:

Thanks for the help!

Well, I would probably be careful not to get too detailed and remember that you are writing for an audience that generally doesn't know about drum corps. On that little note, lets get into the details shall we? The percussive playing in that line is absolutely absurd. One of my favorite lines, I think they are under appreciated because of the amount that they played. Unfortunately because of the design of the show, they barely played, but when they did, man did they play. They squeezed out some serious ####, mostly below the mf level. Extremely dynamic. One of the best lines I have known, thanks to Thomas P. Hannum.

moved to historical forum

I would definitely include something about body movement. They were some of the first people to really use that element throughout the show. Many other organizations have built on what Star began in 93.

I really love that show...

Well, I would probably be careful not to get too detailed and remember that you are writing for an audience that generally doesn't know about drum corps. On that little note, lets get into the details shall we? The percussive playing in that line is absolutely absurd. One of my favorite lines, I think they are under appreciated because of the amount that they played. Unfortunately because of the design of the show, they barely played, but when they did, man did they play. They squeezed out some serious ####, mostly below the mf level. Extremely dynamic. One of the best lines I have known, thanks to Thomas P. Hannum.

Yeah, definitely not going for super detail here, but since they're really aren't alot of secondary sources on drum corps in the world besides that link to the Star history page that was kindly posted, I figured that this would be a pretty good place to gather that sort of information. Also, sorry about posting to the wrong forum, I don't think I was aware there was a historical forum... :angry:

• 1 month later...
In my aplang class, we were assigned a pretty broad essay asking us to "evaluate" something. Basically, I get to choose anything in the world and tell about its effects on things related to it and also good things and bad things relating to that topic.

Since the topic is so broad, I've sort of narrowed down what I want to Star 93 and its effects on the drum corps community and how it was ahead of its time and how it got booed and #### alot blah blah blah etc etc.

While I certainly have my own perceptions of that show to draw from, I think it would help a lot if some of you could post your perceptions and opinions of the show so maybe I can better get a grip on what I want to write about... It would especially help if some of you guys who were not infants in 93 to contribute :thumbup:

Thanks for the help!

Here's the take from a pretty prehistoric perspective ( my two Rupees as it were):

By 1993 Star of India was pretty much the only drum corps in the finals who had year after year "thrown the baby out with the bath water." While other corps were dipping their toes into the frigid waters, they went full Polar Bear. To an old fart, that show was breathtaking in it's newness, innovation, startling visual aspects and most important overall the stunning ability to play "against the grain."

It was truly the first time I didn't feel the music was in some way 'bent' to fit the visual show. The new uniforms seemed to enhance the movements of the participants and never got in the way of the performance at any time - a testament to the designers and staff.

And here's something else to consider: When you play music by both Bartok and Barber with all the intensity and dissonances involved and required by those two composers with verve and the unabashed anger that they did, you're doing something awesome!

And that show, they did!

In fact, the pieces from Barber's Medea; Dance of Vengence, Kantikos Agonias and Parados weren't even attempted by any other Drum Corp during the rest of the 20th Century.

[EDITORIAL ALERT] I believe Crown played a fairly lame (albeit very loud version of Dance of Vengence, in '02 or '03. Crossmen did a little better last year but still didn't bring the fire exhibited by Star Of India a decade and a half earlier. [RETURN TO POST]

We look every year for another corps to take the activity to that level of pure entertainment and fearlessness. Garfield that night looked like they were performing on eggshells by comparison - the phrase "Milk toast" comes to mind. 1993 Star was the complete epitome of what modern drum corps should be and still hasn't achieved.

When it comes to being Polar Bears, we're still not even up to our ankles, yet.

I'm glad I don't (read that 'can't!) march any more ... brrrr! that water must be cold!

Puppet

Edited by Puppet