Lean back?

josh161

Myself and a couple of corps friends have been having a bit of an argument on the effects of trumpet players that lean back when they play higher notes. We have all seen the scream sops that practically break their backs and rest their heads on the field when playing. Is there anyone who has any knowledge of the effects good or bad of "leaning back"?

This is what Maynard has to say about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXHuxqCfvMQ

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to chime in here on this whole lean back thing. A) it's all about "the show." B) it's all about "the show."

If you're in doubt about "B" please see "A." The stand and blow format which means leaning and swaying and all that is all about "the show."

Horns are designed with the bells the way they are so that the sound emitted flows out in a conical 'shape.' There is no reason to lean back to reach the top of the stands.

Soloists back in my day "performed" by exaggerating their movements and hyper extending, leaning and so forth because during their solos they were "the show."

As for louder and higher I dare say that just about any 36 - 40 horn line from BITD had as much power and control as any current 36 - 40 handpicked similar players of today. And with lines hitting the field estimated in the high seventies low eighties, how loud do you have to be as individual players?

I have a theory that goes like this: When asked to play really soft, today's horn lines are playing with only half the line otherwise all they could possibly play is loud and louder.

There was nothing more satisfying than to play a very soft passage and segue into a very loud one and watch the crowd go nuts.

And back then, thatwas "the show."

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

• 3 weeks later...
The rational i have heard for leaning back is that it puts tension in your abs and diaphragm that allows you to push air better. Is this accurate?

yes. It's more mental, but whenever I hold out high notes on trumpet I find myself doing the bd lean to push the air out after a while

Blue Devils do it the best. In Crown, we had to do push ups if we leaned back.

Blue Devils do it the best. In Crown, we had to do push ups if we leaned back.

A fitting reprimand, I daresay!

Puppet

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if anyone in drum corps history has fallen over backwards while soloing like that?

Kody, I know of people passing out during shows playing high notes. So... that kinda counts as falling backwards, right? LOL

Medical AntiShock Trousers (MAST) or Pneumatic AntiShock Garments (PASG), and from a muscial performance standpoint, nothing. they use air bladders to press the legs and lower abdomen to theoretically 'autotransfuse' blood from the lower limbs back to vital organs in the event of shock. Not enough pressure to really affect/assist playing performance, but probably enough to give you a bad head buzz.

Plus they are darned hard to jazz run in...... :thumbdown:

Yeah but you could jazz run in them and not have to worry about going into shock:):):)