National Squad....... Which Corps first?

GABA

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will probably be a future Drum Corps International Corps from the continent of Asia, or possibly Europe. And the Cadets will be the first Corps in the spirit of globalization to fly the flag of France. And the Troopers will be the first to fly the flag of Mexico. And SCV will be the first to again fly the flag of Bolshevism. Jubal will fly the flag of Canada. And the American Civil Lliberties Union will successfully sue to have the US Marine Drum and Bugle Corps lose their US Gov't funding for flying " Old Glory ", but not multi national flags as well at US taxpayor funded ceremonies around the world.

bravo, bravo, BRAVO !

I don't think you'll ever see a DCI corps rocking an honor guard again. It's just evolved away from that.

Whether you think it's for better or for worse, drum corps long ago started moving away from being ceremonial units rooted in nationalism. I respect the tradition of the activity, but personally I'm quite okay with that. I like the overall direction of the activity over the last 25 years or so.

Not to pee on your parade, but in reality, DCI actually has no direction

I would like to see it. It's my favorite part of senior corps and retreat. However, I doubt it would ever return. Modern costuming of the colorguard, body movement, and drill design would make the National Emblem seem out of place.

Check out Blue Stars at retreat last year. They had an honor guard, and they were dressed in the old uniform.

Personally, I like Jim's idea of using the DCA model and not counting the honor guard in the 150 member limit. Given drum corps' evolution, there's nothing wrong with patriotism. Just do what corps were doing before the elimination of A-Squads. March them out during the entry and park them in the corner of the field. Bring them out at retreat, or have them front the corps for the few parades still on the corps' schedule.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Because typical patriotic music is boring, and so are shows that try to play it.

Not to pee on your parade, but in reality, DCI actually has no direction

There's clearly variety within it, but you really don't see a linear shift in design that all DCI corps have made over the history of the organization? Whether you like it or not is obviously up to you, but there are obvious trends in programming, pacing, theme, demand, etc. that have moved pretty congruously throughout the activity.

Elimination of the honor guard is a relative drop in the bucket compared to evolution that the activity has experienced.

Check out Blue Stars at retreat last year. They had an honor guard, and they were dressed in the old uniform.

Being from that era....there was nothing better to an 17/18-year-old than seeing the Blue Stars guard in those short shorts back then! :smile:

Elimination of the honor guard is a relative drop in the bucket compared to evolution that the activity has experienced.

Esp when you realize that some corps had done away with a REAL honor guard even before DCI started, to eliminate the possibility of flag violations. Our color pre in 1971 (Battle Hymn) was done using faux American and British flags as part of the Revolutionaery War themed show, and we were not the only corps to do that sort of thing.

I think right now is the best time to show some pride in our nation. Lack of pride in our nation is what got us in the 2nd depression, and lack of pride in the drum corps activity is what got us these overly blown-out "supercorps" that march Bb band instruments. Whats wrong with a little tradition? Would you refuse to audition for a corps if you found out it was marching an honor guard this year? Would you get up and leave the stadium if the next corps on brought out an honor guard for their entry onto the field?.............I didnt think so....quit whining....bring back honor guards!

Edited by ussglassman

I think right now is the best time to show some pride in our nation. Lack of pride in our nation is what got us in the 2nd depression, and lack of pride in the drum corps activity is what got us these overly blown-out "supercorps" that march Bb band instruments. Whats wrong with a little tradition? Would you refuse to audition for a corps if you found out it was marching an honor guard this year? Would you get up and leave the stadium if the next corps on brought out an honor guard for their entry onto the field?.............I didnt think so....quit whining....bring back honor guards!

I don't think that plopping an American section in the corner of the endzone is doing all that much to show "pride in our nation". Also, do you think many members would want to spend the $$$ and time to just standing there all summer long?

As for the dig at today's corps...an abundance of pride is what has created and continues to exist in what you call "overly blown-out supercorps".

Regarding the "whining"...it's not being done by those who think the days of yore are best left in the days of yore...quite the contrary, IMO.