1961 Floyd Bennett Golden Eagles

Who were the soloists? Did they go on to play elsewhere? Sky?

What is the name of the tune where the sop and the french/bari go back and forth?

Any info much appreciated.

I found this on corps reps.com for 1961 - Apparently they were pretty good.

Albany NY New York State American Legion Championships

Position Corps Score

1 St. Catherine's Queensmen 85.200

2 Floyd Bennet Golden Eagles 77.500

3 Irondequoit Statesmen 76.600

4 St. Joseph's of Batavia 75.260

5 St. Roccos 74.250

6 Bronx Kingsmen 73.840

7 St Catherine's Marionettes 72.960

8 Magnificent Yankees 70.000

9 Starlighters 65.350

10 Emerald Cadets (NY) 65.080

11 Valiant Crusaders 61.250

Songs:

From This Moment On (from Kiss Me Kate)

I Believe

Golden Eagles

Penthouse Serenade

Let Yourself Go

If this Isn't Love

Sonny

St. Louis Blues March

When Your Lover Has Gone

Puppet

What is the name of the tune where the sop and the french/bari go back and forth?

Steve Buglino was the FH soloist ... he went on to play with the Sunrisers through the 60's and then became invloved with CG's and instructing M&M (did the Cavies for a few years) ... according to Steve, Floyd Bennett almost merged with Loretto at the end of 61 ... but, it never came about ... I remember them from the old Penn-Jersey circuit in 61 and 62 ...

:-)

Steve Buglino was the FH soloist ... he went on to play with the Sunrisers through the 60's and then became invloved with CG's and instructing M&M (did the Cavies for a few years) ... according to Steve, Floyd Bennett almost merged with Loretto at the end of 61 ... but, it never came about ... I remember them from the old Penn-Jersey circuit in 61 and 62 ...

---------------------

He now plays with the Bridgemen Alumni and Park City Pride.....

Blondie

The soprano soloist in the concert of Penthouse Serenade/ Let Yourself Go was none other than Tommy Shields. No bari solos in these tunes, all FH/Sop. Tommy was on the far side of 10 years old. He went on to St Patrick's Cadets after Floyd went inactive. He never marched senior corps. but he never stopped playing. He now plays with The Hawthorne Cabs Alumni, and St. Rita's Brassmen. (Puppet may get a kick out of that) Me? I was on the near side of 18 at season end. :rolleyes:

Paul Calcagno and Gerry Shields (Tommy's older brother) were other and excellent sop soloists. Paul marched with The Sunrisers for a few years, then later played with a group from Minnesota. Gerry went on to other things, but he still plays as well.

Yes, Andy, we did. Loretto came over to the Floyd Bennett A.L. Post 1060 in late '60 or early '61. I erred if I said late '61. Joe Genero (R.I.P. Joe) came as well. In the basement of the post we learned "The Man I Love", with Paul or Gerry on the opening solo. A whole lotta horns that first day, and for a few months after. They reorganized and put out a terrific corps in '61. Was along time ago. Thanks for remembering.

Someone mentioned not having any albums of the corps. Fleetwood's CD of "Brass By Night" would be one place to get one. There's a story here:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=2480384

concerning the recording of the corps that day.

Another place is Stetson Richmond's recordings at Drum Corps World. "The Beat goes On" has the corps at Randall's Island in NY. There are others.

Edited by Mellofello01