WGI surprises and breakdowns

about corona, aren't they giving people what they want? in a recent thread here, to quote this exactly

rhetorical question?why do people scream inapplicably and shreik with approval after world class soloist perform the most banal A class skills? :smile:

Well, in that thread there has been a lot of bashing of the technical difficulty of IW work. But when someone pushes their performers, even if it is rocky... they aren't getting so much approval. Maybe they are trying to raise the standard. Has the standard gone down? Heck, maybe they are messy and they had some butterfingers before the show... but i don't really care. I'll always choose the show pushing the envelope of the sport/activity over a safe same ol' same ol' show. (also, just a note here, but..... that last statement does not mean i rather a show that is overwritten to the performers abilities, I simply mean colorguard in general being pushed to new heights)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

about corona, aren't they giving people what they want? in a recent thread here, to quote this exactly

Well, in that thread there has been a lot of bashing of the technical difficulty of IW work. But when someone pushes their performers, even if it is rocky... they aren't getting so much approval. Maybe they are trying to raise the standard. Has the standard gone down? Heck, maybe they are messy and they had some butterfingers before the show... but i don't really care. I'll always choose the show pushing the envelope of the sport/activity over a safe same ol' same ol' show. (also, just a note here, but..... that last statement does not mean i rather a show that is overwritten to the performers abilities, I simply mean colorguard in general being pushed to new heights)

as far as them giving the people what they want. I am sure the people want them to catch the toss.

Also, are you REALLY pushing towards new heights if you are doing the same tricks?

Edited by TKYR_FA1986

If they're world class and they can't do it, then they shouldn't do it. Even an experienced A class designer knows if your kid can't do it, re-write it so it's achievable.

No, the standard has not gone down of what we expect in a world class show but the number of guards that can reach that level is more or less destroyed with the absence of guards like Fantasia, Pride, St. Anns, San Jose Raiders, Patriots, and Northern Lights. Save for expert staging from SCV last year and Blessed Sac in general.

Corona is doing the right thing by pushing themselves to attain that level but to me they haven't adequately improved from the bottom up. Same things that perhaps kept them in the middle of the pack in years past is still being seen. Northeast Independent is improving slowly but surely, look at how every year they get progressively better in everything and achieving at the same time, Corona is missing the achievement imo. Maybe this year will be different and they will officially break into that higher level.

Try as hard as they might, I don't see them raising the standard until they address other things, but maybe....just maybe. Depends on how bad they want it.

Edited by Musical_Spinner

so i got to see Americas SW guard this weekend at the Dallas Regional this past weekend and i must say that i am now a big fan of this guard! such a well designed and innovative show.

I wish I could have seen this show from the front. I enjoyed the design, but felt they were limited in their equipment and movement. I also would have liked to see the performance of the members-- it didin't come across in the back stands.

Love the changes Black Gold made and the pastel rainbow silk are lovely against the floor (which reminds me of diff starbucks coffes, in a god way). Code Black's movement worked me out...love to see some expressive arms.

I have to disagree on both counts. Although I enjoy the pastel silks... they are super dirty and add very little to the show overall. I think the new voice-overs helped a lot more than the new flags did. Code Black...uhm...

Desoto was beautifuly feirce and mature..i'd even dare to say they are the alvin ailey of SA in terms of there movement and performace!

FIERCE! From the back, you could totally see them engaging their back muscles whenever they did an arm movement. It was beautiful, and I couldn't even see their faces!

Little Elm stands out to me in the way that their show was very well planed and almost reminded me of Fantasia's show last year with the rocking chair and costuming, the all male sabre line was on their beat!

I enjoyed this show, but didn't really understand the point of the rocking chair, or why the one guy was always sitting in the chair when the story was about a letter a mother writes to her daughter on the daughter's wedding day...

University Of Louisiana delivered such a fun show, usually i'd be over imogen heap used in guard but i haven't heard this song used so it was a breath of fresh peach flavored air..oh and boy does that guard know how to perform or what? they so maxed it out in terms of the quirky aspect of splashing in water

Loved this show! I didn't know that was an Imogene Heap song. I never heard it before.

DeSoto is a great story! Those girls are so humble and have worked so hard.

Kudos to their school district that gave them part of the money to make the trip to Dayton for Championships.

I know from talking with their director that they still have to raise some more funds however.

If you are interested in helping them get to WGI, e-mail their director, Karen Blake at KBlake@desotoisd.org.

Does anyone have any outlook on the ind A and ind Open classes?

Watch Salem Blue in the Independent A class. They should do really well, with a medal being a real possibility.

A small guard with talented performers.

Weapons soloists are strong: The guy rifle marches Cadets in the summer. The little sabre soloist marches with Glassmen.

Watch Salem Blue in the Independent A class. They should do really well, with a medal being a real possibility.

A small guard with talented performers.

Weapons soloists are strong: The guy rifle marches Cadets in the summer. The little sabre soloist marches with Glassmen.

Kewl thx for the info, I will have to check them out.

anymore info out there?

And on the world class talk about setting new standards or being super clean and maybe a little safe, I seem to strugle with this myself. I always argue that we should always try to push the envelope but my problem is where do you draw the line between setting standards and venturing into the unachievable? When do we as fans (students) of the activity decide "well it was dirty but they were trying a much stronger vocab" or "man that was clean, but it should be as it is an A or Open class skill" and then who do you forgive? Wow I think I gave myself a headache. :smile:

I think we need a frank discussion and centralize all our ideas on what we the audience/directors/performers believes what A class etc. is. Wgi has defined it before but I think it varies year to year.