Are Finals Recordings in HD yet?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2008 DVDs were issued in widescreen, but the resolution was disappointing to many fans with HDTVs. Of course, standard DVDs will never look as good as BluRay DVDs on an HDTV, but standard DVDs can and do look better than DCI's 2008 DVD set. If you are asking when DCI will release videos in BluRay format, there are no plans that I know of. I'm not optimistic about that happening in the foreseeable future, because doing that would cost DCI extra money that would not clearly be recouped in enhanced sales. CD and DVD sales have been falling generally in the US, and the DCI market and BluRay penetration remain low.

DCI cut its spending on the 2008 video package, apparently trying to save money; it's a 2-disc set compared to the 4-disc set previously, and there are fewer extras. Like nearly all arts organizations, the current economic crisis may impose a survival mode on DCI which makes it even harder to take on extra expenses such as taping and releasing videos in BluRay. I would not assume that DCI is clearly going to even survive in this economy, let alone move up to BluRay.

Edited by Peel Paint

BD has shot it's video exclusively in HD for the last few years.

However,

Sony has made EXORBITANTLY high licensing fees for mastering Blu-Ray DVDs, which has made it pretty much impossible to get out a DVD Blu-Ray of Drum Corps, since there is a relatively low volume of DVD sales.

There is, however, a technical way to burn the Blu-Ray format onto standard DVDs, which are VERY cheap to duplicate, and the Blu-Ray licensing fees do NOT apply to the Blu-Ray format being mastered on standard DVD-5's (Single Layer), or DVD-9's (Dual-Layer). However, since standard DVDs are of limited capacity, you can only get about 15 minutes of HD onto a standard DVD ... enough for 1 corps. So then each year of DCI would have to be on 12 standard DVDs.

IMHO, "rotating media" (i.e., DVDs, CDs, etc.) is very quickly dying, and since I'm "in the business", I'd be happy to not have to duplicate a DVD again! :tongue:

I hope the next move involves DCI selling individual shows online in 720p. Compressed properly (H.264/AVC), we could probably get shows at around 400 megs a pop. It might be too early for this to happen, but I already have a proper setup for this, and I know many others do as well.

I hope they move to some sort of HD solution soon... I'm glad they switched to widescreen, but the overall pciture quality of the 2008 set is ROUGH... I realize that it's a tough activity to capture on the limited storage size of DVD, between the amount of motion and range of color, but I can't help but feel that they could have done better.

Here's hoping either for feasible Blu-ray, or some sort of downloadable, HD quality file, that will play on my PS3 or other media boxes.

Hey thanks for all the responses. I didn't know about about the high fees for authoring Blu-Ray . But I do know the DVD's should atleast come down in price. They are too bloated with Extras (pork, as a pundit would say) - I never care to watch.

I want a finals dvd with corps 1 - 12 in ONE view for $39.99. THAT'S good marketing, and I don't even have Marketing degree!!!

Also the Download-able (Apple TV??) shows in a 720p format is a great idea®.

I want a finals dvd with corps 1 - 12 in ONE view for $39.99. THAT'S good marketing, and I don't even have Marketing degree!!!

You want Top 12 in HD on one BluRay disc for forty bucks?? :rolleyes: I want finals tickets between the 40s for $18, myself. But that wouldn't be marketing for DCI, that would be suicide.

You want Top 12 in HD on one BluRay disc for forty bucks?? :rolleyes: I want finals tickets between the 40s for $18, myself. But that wouldn't be marketing for DCI, that would be suicide.

I think they meant one DVD, full Top 12, no extras, for $40.

That would be cool, kind of like the bare bones movie DVD's, and the Special Edition loaded DVD's (see Lord of the Rings). I would be into that, but I'm sure that might cut into DVD sales