Interesting story

do most states have different all state ensembles for different school sizes? I don't think that's the case in VA

Oklahoma has "All-State" and "All-District" -- Self explanatory. I don't know how many districts there are, but they're for every size, A through 6A.

*edit* Sorry. I didn't read the statement thoroughly. All-State has the Concert Band and Orchestra, with Orchestra being the harder one to get in. The Concert Band isn't necessarily for "smaller schools."

Edited by PhantomRPhan

Tennessee has All-State, All-Midstate, All-Eaststate, All-Weststate, and All-County. All are for all high schools from that area. Things tend to be pretty uniform in this state.

And, basically, if you give an effort, you're bound to make it in SOMEWHERE in Tennessee's All-____ bands.

Edited by OdeToArsenal47

Ah, I read the article again and it looks like I misunderstood the first time. It says the concert band is mostly made up of kids from the smaller schools, but not that the concert band is just for smaller schools.

VA has a Concert Band, Symphonic Band, and Orchestra at the state level, and individual Districts. My district had 2 bands, and you had to make the top one to audition for state.

uhhh... go drum corps!

Oklahoma has "All-State" and "All-District" -- Self explanatory. I don't know how many districts there are, but they're for every size, A through 6A.

*edit* Sorry. I didn't read the statement thoroughly. All-State has the Concert Band and Orchestra, with Orchestra being the harder one to get in. The Concert Band isn't necessarily for "smaller schools."

and it's fully possible for us from smaller schools to get in- I've made the allstate band and orchestra, and I'm from catoosa! we only had 19 kids in band

Massachusetts has five districts, each with its own festival. The kids in the top half scores from each district audition for all-state. At that festival; there is concert band, jazz ensemble, orchestra, & chorus. A couple years ago, ACDA put together a jazz choir to perform just for the other students.