The people you meet in church............

I wore my Scouts corps jacket to church one night for chior practice and three members of my church chior came up to me. One man marched in the Cavailers during the late 70s, one lady marched in the Memphis Blues also in the late 70s, and another lady marched in Spirit of Atlanta in 83. Small world isn't it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One time I met a guy at a church service who I worked with but didn't know very well. He mentioned a "band" that he was affiliated with (which was actually a DCA corps) assuming that I didn't know anything about Drum Corps. Needless to say, after we had the confusion all sorted out we became very good friends. :lookaround:

Not a church story, but I got pulled over on the way home from a show back when I was marching. The cop was giving me a really hard time even though I had only been pulled over for my license plate not being properly displayed (it was in the back window). It turns out the cop was my section leader's brother and when he saw our corps jackets in the back of the car he decided to mess with me a bit. We ended up having a good laugh and he let me go. Definitely a small world moment though.

Again, not really church, but I play taps every year Memorial day at our local RC church. I play my old Olds Mellophone and last year after the service, this guy walks up and says: "I remember you, you were a Brassmen." Just about knocked me on my butt. It's over 37 years ago! It's south Florida and he used to march Troopers. I didn't even think any Trooper even paid any attention to a corps from Brooklyn. We talked (and drank) for hours. He knew our rep thought that in '69 we did the company front OTL as well as the Troopers ever did. Told me our Mello line was awesome (we only had 4 in a horn line of 40 in 1972) and said we were very underrated and wished we would have competed in DCI - great praise from a guy who marched in a great corps of all time.

Puppet

I just thought of another incident that happened more recently. A couple of months ago I was driving home from work on 78 after an over night shift. It was about 7:30 a.m. right before traffic. Anyway, I saw a guy beside me who had a Santa Clara Vanguard sticker on his car. I pulled up close enough and he saw my 27th Lancers sticker. We honked at each other and made a point to pull up by each other at the next light. He told me he marched in 91 (I think) soprano. I told him 84-86. We got to the next light, He said, "so you were there when they folded"? I told him yes and that I was close with Denise Bonfiglio etc and run the website for 27. It was an interesting way to have a conversation about drum corps driving down the highway at 7:30 a.m. in the morning! :big hug:

I mentioned this website I think he said he comes on here some times...

Edited by Lancerlady

I was playing in my wife's church this past sunday. There were several Slippery Rock U. music students playing along with our little group.I got talking "trumpet" with one of the trumpet players only to find out he is marching Blue Devils this summer, COOL! Well, except for the fact he kept calling me "SIR". 47 ain't that old. Really though, a very nice guy and hell of a trumpet player. By the way, this was in Butler PA.

Did you catch the student's name? Cause I believe that may be my friend Garrett!

• 2 weeks later...

When I went to see to see Blast at a theater in 2002, I sat next to a girl who marched Pioneer the year after me. I'd never met her before...that was freaky.

Edited by Shamrocker

• 2 weeks later...

Last Thursday there police officers from all over the country here in Pittsburgh for a funeral for 3 policemen gunned down in our city. I was talking to member of the Santa Clara police force ( I noticed his Santa Clara Police patch and had to ask) whose sister marched in corps back in the 70's. He never marched but his sister often mentioned the rivalry between the Vanguard and Madison in the 70's.

Edited by Tupac