Asphalt Cocktail

If anyone is in Austin this weekend for the CBNA convention, go check out the Michigan State University Wind Symphony. They are world premiering a piece by John Mackey called Asphalt Cocktail. IT HAS DRUM CORPS WRITTEN ALLLLLLL OVER IT. Someone needs to do this on the field ASAP! There likely will be a recording of the piece on the internet soon. Please look for it.

DW

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone is in Austin this weekend for the CBNA convention, go check out the Michigan State University Wind Symphony. They are world premiering a piece by John Mackey called Asphalt Cocktail. IT HAS DRUM CORPS WRITTEN ALLLLLLL OVER IT. Someone needs to do this on the field ASAP! There likely will be a recording of the piece on the internet soon. Please look for it.

DW

Dude... that needs to be on the field YESTERDAY. I kept laughing during the performance at the sheer awesomeness of the piece. Another excellent piece by Mackey.

EXACTLY.....special note to the Bluecoats and Blue Devils.....two corps that would absolutely devour this piece! PLEASE check it out if you have anything to do with programming a drum corps show!

DW

I wish I could find a recording.... I missed the webcast, and it's not on Mackey's page yet.

I wish I could find a recording.... I missed the webcast, and it's not on Mackey's page yet.

Its my understanding that the recording will be on Mackey's web site this week now that the premiere has occurred. Check for it....will not disappoint.

DW

PS An 'asphault cocktail' is coke and a shot of brandy

while I agree that would make a great drum corps piece, it's not very melodic...just like all the latest music drum corps has played...

powerful...yes

difficult...yes

melodic...not really

i like melody

Cool piece.

Interesting. When I hear it I feel it leans more towards Santa Clara, and maybe to a lesser extent, the Cadets.

Yes. SCV. It reminds me a lot of Eclipse.