Madison Scouts Announce 2009 Program

Ah, of course, I knew good ol' ad hominem would sneak into this thread.

You're absolutely right. Contrajedi must be motivated by deep, unresolved issues from childhood. That's why he doesn't like this announcement. . . Riiiiiiiiiiight.

:smile:

enough said...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no better way to tell people your trying to not be abstract and pretentious than tell them your trying to not be abstract and pretentious.

It's like telling people you don't care when you really do.

Wow. Malaga. Again. It's been since, what, 2004. I understand that corps are allowed to repeat tunes, but the 2nd time in 5 years is a little excessive.

Since when? There was a time when it wasn't that uncommon for a corps to do close to the exact same show for two years running.

Ah, of course, I knew good ol' ad hominem would sneak into this thread.

You're absolutely right. Contrajedi must be motivated by deep, unresolved issues from childhood. That's why he doesn't like this announcement. . . Riiiiiiiiiiight.

AND THERE YOU ARE TSRTS13.... stay on topic would you. PM your rants to me and keep them off scout threads.....

Now back to the topic at hand....... go hijack elsewhere..

Scouts music selection were announced and the complaint about a song being overplayed is just a fanfare, is that right? Interesting...

Edited by Cop

Contrajedi is one of a handful of people who have a bug up their but about Scouts. No point in denying it. Witness the hilariously fussy criticism of their show announcement. It is without loftiness and pretension, particularly when you compare it to their previous show announcements over the past few years and many of DCI corps current ones.

As for playing Malaga again, as previously said, it is not the full piece just hints, apparently the 90% brand new material is not enough to offset somefolks unchangeable belief that Madison repeats musical selctions and especially funny considering our current DCI champion won with a show concept they performed already. (Still thought it was great BTW.)

Clearly the spanish music done by Scouts in 08 and this year is nothing like the spanish previously done by them. Some folks however are never satisfied.

As for the show announcement and its pretension for lack of pretension ... Sorry, if you want to be without pretense or affect, you can't say you're lacking pretense and affect. Saying you're not pretentious is as pretentious as it gets.
There's no better way to tell people your trying to not be abstract and pretentious than tell them your trying to not be abstract and pretentious. It's like telling people you don't care when you really do.

Wow - you guys seem determined to read something into "We'll keep it simple". In case you didn't figure it out from the graphic in the announcement, Relampago is a Mexican comic book hero. "POW!" pretty much sums it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relampago

Edited by Willie85

(There is a chance that we may only hear a taste of Malaga)

Found some of the music on YOUTUBE, nice.

FYI: just in 2008 a few tunes we heard "Again"

Spartacus.Sweeney Todd.Candide.Toccata and Fugue in D minor.Barber of Seville.Ode to Joy.Mid Summer Night’s Dream.Claire De Lune.One Hand One Heart.Somewhere.Hungarian Rhapsody.Festive Overture.1812 Overture.Appalachian Spring.On The Waterfront.Rocky.The Chairman Dances.La Vie en Rose.Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun.2001: A Space Odyssey.Moondance.

where did you find the music on youtube?

Edited by Kyasprin

Since when? There was a time when it wasn't that uncommon for a corps to do close to the exact same show for two years running.

Yeah, in the 70's.

My bad guys. I forgot in Scouts threads that if you don't think the Scouts eat coal and #### diamonds, you aren't allowed to comment. My bad.

I don't harbor any ill-will for the Scouts. I think there was a time that in which they were entertaining. I have been continually underwhelmed by them since about 2003. And this general attitude that the Scouts are above criticism is exactly what got them in competitive trouble in the first place. The "We think we're awesome so screw what everybody else thinks!" line.

I keep waiting for the Scouts to deliver. For me, they don't. If they do for you, great.

I know this post is just going to continue to get me flamed by Scouts honks, so I'm not sure why I'm bothering.

Edited by contrajedi8

Can they re-create the experience everyone had with '95? Only time will tell...

I hope they can replicate the feeling of the show at DCM on 1995. By the time I got to Buffalo, I did not like the changes and the whole guard thing became downright distracting. And not in a good way. It clearly cost them at least one placement in my mind. The DCM show was so much more in the machismo area.

Wow. Malaga. Again. It's been since, what, 2004. I understand that corps are allowed to repeat tunes, but the 2nd time in 5 years is a little excessive.

And the fourth time in the last 15 years that the Scouts have done Malaga. I honestly think there should be a 10-year moratorium on Malaga and Malaguena (and not just the Scouts). They are both great pieces of music for drum corps, but they have both been beat to death.

Also, at the risk of inciting the Scouts fans who are already somewhat defensive into this thread (I love the emotion of Scouts’ fans!), put me in the column of those who thought the announcement was a bit pompous. Drop the preface, which takes pot shots at other corps’ announcements and just issue a brief statement… we will get it. To be honest, aside from the cheap shot at other announcements, the first thing I thought was that they must not have had have enough time to put together a “lofty and abstract” announcement of their own and wanted to quickly get the show information out there.

With this said, I like the Scouts doing Latin music and think it suits them extremely well. I suspect by having only hints of Malaga in the show they are attempting to regain some of the emotion (and fan support) from the 1994 and 1995 shows. I hope they succeed. Good luck Scouts

Edited by jcn8