Madison Scouts Announce 2009 Program

And the fourth time in the last 15 years that the Scouts have done Malaga. I honestly think there should be a 10-year moratorium on Malaga and Malaguena (and not just the Scouts). They are both great pieces of music for drum corps, but they have both been beat to death.

I agree...what we need are more Whitacre songs! More Equus...more Tryptich (however you spell it...) Yeah..more whitacre...and tichelli...yeah...more abstract music that seems to be 4 minutes of transition followed by a batch of chord stingers! Screw real music! ATTICA! ATTICA!!

oops...sorry... :smile:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those of you with a beef with Malaga:

(Assuming they haven't changed the arrangement since I heard it in December...)

Think of how Bluecoats used "Caravan" in their 05 show, except more recognizable. It's more like a short throwback statement than anything.

See this thread for more details on what I mean...because it's not like the first time this has ever been done: QUOTING CORPS

Does anyone else feel the legacy of the Madison Scouts is getting more and more wrapped around their brass line?

It seems like so many of the shows they have produced recently (last 15 years or so) have been brass first and everything else second place...

Honestly I've always thought they put Brass and Visual(feet) "first". It's probably just more noticeable right now.

If it makes you feel any better I thought the percussion section is getting back up there. They had a surge in 03-06 (with 05 being a 4th place line I think?). Then 07 hit... but last year I thought they rebounded really nicely.

The organization is making a huge effort to get the guard back to where it was, but it's so much harder to get back on top of the guard world nowadays especially when you're an all-male corps who hasn't had a recent tradition of amazing success. You also have to consider that only a few corps are NOT fielding partly-male colorguards in today's world, so it's probably harder to find possible members. Actually I think Pioneer is the only corps left with all-female guard, but I could be wrong.

This entertainment is great

I love this thread, I really do. A show announcement that just gets hijacked by people who have a beef with a show before they've heard simply because they are told an INCREDIBLE piece of music is PART of their opener-not their whole opener, but part, and from the sound of things, not a very big one.

Where are you people whining about the Blue Devils, do I have to hear Channel One Suite again, oh wait, they never use that piece over and over.

Or in the visual department, do I have to look at a wedge with a leg kicked out again this year? No, good. because that hasn't been done enough.

But because some people need to just complain for the sake of seeing their screen name on this site, they need to come in here and complain.

Where are those of you that want to complain about a specific caption talking about the Blue Devils hornline being a focus, or the Cavaliers guard, or the Cadets visual program-wait, the Cadets do get enough bad press from the morons.

Keep it up though people, you definately know what your talking about. I'm very glad for those of you that have historical knowledge, or current knowledge, or just haven't been into the corps since '03, your really making great cases based on your prestine ACTUAL knowledge of the 2009 corps. Keep being what I strive to be each day!

Keep designing the shows for the corps that you are part of, or doing something positive for the activity!

This is great!!!

In the era of lofty and abstract show announcements, we’ll keep it simple. The Scouts 2009 show is titled Relámpago. It’s good, it’s loud, it’s fun, it’s POW!
That's gonna look so cool on a t-shirt...

This thread is a carbon copy of what happened in the Blue Stars show announcement thread. Scouts just happen to be the latest whipping post to announce their show.

Where are you people whining about the Blue Devils, do I have to hear Channel One Suite again, oh wait, they never use that piece over and over.

Or in the visual department, do I have to look at a wedge with a leg kicked out again this year? No, good. because that hasn't been done enough.

I'd be happy if BD never played Channel One again, and I'd be really happy if Phantom never did the wedge again.

For what it's worth, BD has played Channel One four times in the last 33 years, once since 1986. Madison's played Malaga four times in the last 15 years.

So let me get this straight:

If the Scouts were trying something completely different, everyone will complain about them straying away from their tradition and not being the Scouts.

If the Scouts do something they have had success with in the past, people will complain about them beating a dead horse.

So...what are they supposed to do?

And if what you guys are saying about it just being a short quote is true, here is my $.02:

No one complained about the Malaguena quote in the 05 show.