Know anything about women in music...drum corps wise?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think though that because they came along later and never went head to head with Audubon that St. Ignatius does not receive serious enough consideration for best of all times.

They were simply fabulous at a time when women and girls could have played anywhere they wished.

For the record, Bon Bons and St. Ignatius came head-to-head many times in the 60's and 70's and were never defeated by them until the 1974 World Open.

The corps was formed in 1938 and went until 1977. The nationals that we lost in 1957 was lost by less than a tenth to a corps (Garfield Cadets) that we had been beating by points the entire year. The only comment from the judges to our instructors was "You didn't expect us to let girls win, did you?" The Bon Bons are in the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame as the best all girl corps of all time.

For the record, Bon Bons and St. Ignatius came head-to-head many times in the 60's and 70's and were never defeated by them until the 1974 World Open.

The corps was formed in 1938 and went until 1977. The nationals that we lost in 1957 was lost by less than a tenth to a corps (Garfield Cadets) that we had been beating by points the entire year. The only comment from the judges to our instructors was "You didn't expect us to let girls win, did you?" The Bon Bons are in the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame as the best all girl corps of all time.

I have been put in my place.... :thumbup::thumbup:

Clearly my Long Island bias, plus the fact that I never got to see Audubon in a show until the mid-70s, colored my judgment. I'll suspend myself from commenting on All-Girl Corps for a period of say, 10 years.

Thanks.