Academy 09

Usually there is a few people from the sunny state that go to camps and report on them...

Has anybody this year? It would be interesting to see what they are doing out there after their first 'Down' year.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually there is a few people from the sunny state that go to camps and report on them...

Has anybody this year? It would be interesting to see what they are doing out there after their first 'Down' year.

I guess everyone has a different opinion as to what a down year means....maybe you are referring to placement last year. I guess if the sole criteria was placement...then your opinion holds water.

This year's corps appears to be a bit younger in the horns and especially the drums. Most of the guard from last year is returning from what I've seen so far.

The show this year is called "Ascent" and I've heard portions of the show already. It's a Michael Klesch work and it sounds pretty good already.

As with last year's show, the visual production will make or break this corps. I see some improvement overall from last year and think they will make semis, however, how far up into Friday's schedule I won't hesitate to guess.

I think there was a recent announcement about the City of Tempe adopting the Academy as the official drum corps of Tempe. So they got that going for them for what it's worth.

The most important part of this corps is what they do for the kids in this state. So many HS band programs have had to cease operations because of budget cuts. The drum corps is really providing a ton of opportunities for local kids.

Next camp is the first weekof May and I plan to attend quite a bit of it.

I personally know a member of the snareline, and he says that the brass is sounding pretty good. Granted, that is coming from a percussionist, but take it for what it's worth.

I guess everyone has a different opinion as to what a down year means....maybe you are referring to placement last year. I guess if the sole criteria was placement...then your opinion holds water.

This year's corps appears to be a bit younger in the horns and especially the drums. Most of the guard from last year is returning from what I've seen so far.

The show this year is called "Ascent" and I've heard portions of the show already. It's a Michael Klesch work and it sounds pretty good already.

As with last year's show, the visual production will make or break this corps. I see some improvement overall from last year and think they will make semis, however, how far up into Friday's schedule I won't hesitate to guess.

I think there was a recent announcement about the City of Tempe adopting the Academy as the official drum corps of Tempe. So they got that going for them for what it's worth.

The most important part of this corps is what they do for the kids in this state. So many HS band programs have had to cease operations because of budget cuts. The drum corps is really providing a ton of opportunities for local kids.

Next camp is the first weekof May and I plan to attend quite a bit of it.

A++

THAT is the meaning of success. Just providing the opportunity to perform should be viewed as a huge success in today's environment.

That is exactly what I ment along with the staff problems they had and what happened at the beginning of the year with their show design. Overall they still performed great with the late vehichile they were given. I was more referring to how the membership would respond. Everything that happened last year was out of their hands.

It's no Rosemont, but it's cool.

No, actually it's not cool - It's warm. Sometimes very warm :thumbup:

believe it or not, but the corps members finished out last year with a very upbeat attitude. it was dissaponting, but they did an induvidual best, what else can you ask.

this years staff is different from last year, many new faces, however, in general, the corps is ahead of last years schedule.

I get a feeling that the corps is going to come out on fire, like they did in 2006, only time will tell, many new members, a lot of good talent.

The Academy will visit alot of new cities this year, if they are coming to your city, and you are going, don't show up late or you will miss them, and that would very dissapointing.

I don't where they will place, I am not good at guessing, but I can say for sure, they will give you a great performance and show.

That is exactly what I ment along with the staff problems they had and what happened at the beginning of the year with their show design. Overall they still performed great with the late vehichile they were given. I was more referring to how the membership would respond. Everything that happened last year was out of their hands.
Edited by Suviduvi

Funny...I always heard drum corps was about focusing on what you can control and not worrying about the rest. I think that's what the members had as a focus last season.

And yes, there were muxh discussed (on DCP) staff issues last year.

Also, there was much ballyhoo regarding their June performances at the Tempe Arts Center...which were wonderful last year. People are dead wrong to criticize this. It will be one of the highlights of Tempe's summer this year and will most likely sell out each performance.

The corps is also helping to sponsor a Memorial Day Tempe Family picnic I understand. A real community event.

Wow...a drum corps...digging into offering local performance opportunties and local students...not entirely...but mostly.

Yeah..I'm digging on this corps and I'm glad I found them when I moved to Tempe.