Dan Walker passes away

Dan was a huge proponent of DC in the NY Southern tier/N Penn area. He put together many shows from Jamestown to Johnsonberg. RIP Dan. Our prayers are out to his family.

Just got word

RIP Cookie

Gary, I believe you may have these 2 guys mixed up. Dan Walker & Don Walker were both in Hamburg back in the day. Cookie is Don Walker from Farnum "The Farnum Flash alias Cookie". Dan was a Jamestown guy with sight problems as lomg as as 10+ years ago. I believe I am correct here. Don Walker is still in a nursing home following a major stroke a few years ago. Anyone who can confirm this please do. Thanks, Doug

Gary, I believe you may have these 2 guys mixed up. Dan Walker & Don Walker were both in Hamburg back in the day. Cookie is Don Walker from Farnum "The Farnum Flash alias Cookie". Dan was a Jamestown guy with sight problems as lomg as as 10+ years ago. I believe I am correct here. Don Walker is still in a nursing home following a major stroke a few years ago. Anyone who can confirm this please do. Thanks, Doug

Now I'm really confused. Who was the Big Guy (truck driver) that took care of "Murph" ? I knew him as Cookie.

Dan Walker from Salamanca and his wife were huge in the Bi State Color Guard Circuit (later the Northeast Color Guard Circuit). A really great guy... I had been warned at WGI that he was very sick... still, he's not much older than I and he was a good friend... two of his proteges are well known color guard instructor/Director Karen Watt and judge Mike Pavlock who judged WGI world class finals 2 weeks ago... my best to Dan's family - he will be missed...

Now I'm really confused. Who was the Big Guy (truck driver) that took care of "Murph" ? I knew him as Cookie.

Melliegene .... that is indeed "The Farnum Flash" .... Cookie ..... DON Walker not Dan (DON was the Truck Driver from Farnum, played third sop in Hamburg). We see him on the gurney every year at the Buffalo DCI show. He is in a nursing home in South Buffalo following a major stroke that left him paralyzed about 5 years ago. Jack Gaylord makes sure he gets there every year....he was also in MSJ for a couple years.

DAN Walker was also involved with Hamburg back in the day late 60's early 70's ... he came up with the Jamestown crew. Played 1st sop @ the time, Dan is our passed friend, not Cookie.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Melliegene .... that is indeed "The Farnum Flash" .... Cookie ..... DON Walker not Dan (DON was the Truck Driver from Farnum, played third sop in Hamburg). We see him on the gurney every year at the Buffalo DCI show. He is in a nursing home in South Buffalo following a major stroke that left him paralyzed about 5 years ago. Jack Gaylord makes sure he gets there every year....he was also in MSJ for a couple years.

DAN Walker was also involved with Hamburg back in the day late 60's early 70's ... he came up with the Jamestown crew. Played 1st sop @ the time, Dan is our passed friend, not Cookie.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Thanks Doug,...............I sent up a donation to get Don to that show,..............

RIP Dan

Dan Walker from Salamanca and his wife were huge in the Bi State Color Guard Circuit (later the Northeast Color Guard Circuit). A really great guy... I had been warned at WGI that he was very sick... still, he's not much older than I and he was a good friend... two of his proteges are well known color guard instructor/Director Karen Watt and judge Mike Pavlock who judged WGI world class finals 2 weeks ago... my best to Dan's family - he will be missed...

I echo your sentiments, Tom. I first met Dan in 1967 when I joined the Interstate Ambassadors from Warren and Salamanca NY for the summer. He was the business manager for the corps and we both played lead soprano. When I joined the Hamburg Kingsmen in 1972, Dan was there again as business manager. He and his wife Kay were two of the nicest, most positive people that I have ever been associated with in drum corps. The last time I saw Dan was at a DCI show in Buffalo several years ago. He was walking with the use of a cane, but still had a big smile when we spoke. I was wondering how old he was - I am guessing he was at least 10 or 15 years older than me, making him in his 70's as of his passing??

Rest in Peace Dan. Our thoughts and prayers to Kay and the rest of his family. He and Kay were such wonderful people and I remember them well. Last I saw them was here in Erie for the American Salute show we held. They just never change; Ablsolutely timeless. Even though I was a little girl the last time I had seen them, I easily recognized them both at the show. His round face just beaming. That is how I will always remember him. In a sense I had grown up with them. From the Hamburg Kingsmen years thru the Johnsonburg Diplomats and so on. As a little girl I always looked forward to seeing them at the shows. Just great people they were.

God speed to you Dan. May you go swiftly on on the wings of angles. :thumbup: