Got a question about SCV's 1997 show, "Fog City Sketches." My question is directed at the second part of the opener. According to corpsreps, it's called "The Cities Edge" from On The Waterfront. It's the one that starts with the timpani and battery. Hopefully I've made this clear enough.

Anyway, my question is - how the hell is this piece conducted? I can't figure it out. The more I listen to it, the more it's becoming one of my favorite drum corps excerpts ever...I just wish I could figure out what meters it's in. Thanks!

Got a question about SCV's 1997 show, "Fog City Sketches." My question is directed at the second part of the opener. According to corpsreps, it's called "The Cities Edge" from On The Waterfront. It's the one that starts with the timpani and battery. Hopefully I've made this clear enough.

Anyway, my question is - how the hell is this piece conducted? I can't figure it out. The more I listen to it, the more it's becoming one of my favorite drum corps excerpts ever...I just wish I could figure out what meters it's in. Thanks!

it's in 7, 4+3

Its in 7/4. 4/4 + 3/4.

Thanks for the help, guys. However, I tried listening to it with the 7/4 rhythm in mind, and there are definitely some extra meter changes in there, because I keep losing time. It happens first right before the mellophone solo, but it definitely happens a few more times after that.

It's in 7/4: 2/4 + 1/4 + 3/4 + 3/16 + 2/32

:blink:

At Lake Erie Thunder, we are currently playing that piece. Almost the whole thing is written in 4/4 3/4 4/4 3/4 (which could be 7/4 i guess, but we conduct it 4-3-4-3-4 etc)

Great song!

The score i was looking at notated it in 7/4. either way is fine.

Thanks for the help, guys. However, I tried listening to it with the 7/4 rhythm in mind, and there are definitely some extra meter changes in there, because I keep losing time. It happens first right before the mellophone solo, but it definitely happens a few more times after that.

nah, it's in 7.