Spring PREview is over - how about a REview...anybody?

Didn't get to see anything but a few drumlines in the parking lot, and that was kool, but if anyone cares to give a review of the entier show I wouldn't object ;-)

--Rich

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a great time playing with the Buccaneer Alumni Corps and my old corps, the Steel City Ambassadors. Very cool to stand next to Curt Hawkins again and try to keep up (not a chance!).

Of course, I thought the Reading Buccaneers did a great job, but I will leave a review to some more impartial audience members.

can I review the turkey dinner? cause it was awesome! :lol:

:lol:

Sans stupid

I'm with Jami and Kyle on this.

IMO, that turkey dinner for the show performers is one of the best ideas in the history of drum corps! :lol:

And before I forget.....Tom Moore asked me to mention that ham was added to the menu this year. :lol:

The ham was delicious!!!!!

Fran

Leave it to the Jewish guy to remind you about the ham!

It was a delicious dinner and a great evening of very entertaining music.

I'm with Jami and Kyle on this.

IMO, that turkey dinner for the show performers is one of the best ideas in the history of drum corps! :lol:

And before I forget.....Tom Moore asked me to mention that ham was added to the menu this year. :doh:

The ham was delicious!!!!!

Fran

Agreed! :lol:

(Donna gave me her ham, so it was doubly delicious for me! :lol: )

OK...some quick thoughts on the corps at the Spring Preview.... I saw all of 'em from my side-stage vantage point...except for portions of the Bucs competition corps, which I viewed from the back of the auditorium:

National Anthem: Trumpet player Victor Cummings from the Bucs competition corps really nailed his rendition of the Anthem. Great job.

Bucs Alumni: As usual, a class act...with that trademark full, controlled "Balance in Blue" sound. A well-performed trip down "Buccaneer Memory Lane" with the tunes from the corps' various decades.

Swing House: Geeeeeeeeezzzz can these guys play. Great solo brass work, and John Rozum was smokin' on the drum set. A "stage corps" that is a very nice change of pace from the "standard fare" at a drum corps concert.

Yankee Rebels Alumni: Another solid performance with a balanced sound, playing some terrific charts, especially the time-honored "Requiem for an Era" finale... for my money, on the short list of best drum corps endings ever.

Skyliners Alumni: From my side-stage perspective, two words: SNARE LINE. Holy mackerel. :lol: The horn line is...uhhhh...not very shy, either. This corps is always a lot of fun to watch.

Reilly Raiders: Something for everyone.....a nice blend of Irish, contemporary, and patriotic tunes, delivered with the usual Reilly flair. Excellent "old school" drum line, too.

Steel City Ambassadors Alumni: This was the best performance I've seen/heard from them. Strong horn line, and Dom had to be the best-dressed drum major of the night! :lol: I love the corps' signature swing version of "National Emblem March."

Brassmen Alumni: For the second year in a row, this corps' 15-person horn line delivered a knockout punch at the Preview. Outstanding solo work in "Fistful of Dollars" and "Minnie the Moocher"......baritone virtuoso Ruben Ariola tearin' it up with a solo feature..... and the corps' stirring finale of "West Point Alma Mater"..... what's not to like?

Buccaneers competition corps: WOW!!!!!!!!

Fran

OK, I only watched four corps, not by choice, just too much else to do.

Swing House, what can you say, I would pay good money to see them. From the screaming soloists, to the thumping basses, to the amazing set drummer. I can't wait to see what other charts they may add. (please consider my suggestion of "Everyone Loves the Blues") I think it is great that drum corps can travel down avenues never before thought of.

NY Skyliners Alumni, great hornline, great charts, and WOW, that drumline! I remember being a kid of 13 and hearing tapes of them from back in the day. I would not miss any chance to hear those old tunes again. One of my all time favorite solos to imitate is the mello in Elk's Parade, lip trills and all. Thanks NY for the memories.

St. Ritas Brassmen, 15 rock solid horn players, and I kept saying all evening, what would a corps with 15 Ruben's on bari sound like? Not a weak player on stage. I also would like to say that Ruben is one of the nicest and friendliest guys to meet. I could talk with him for hours. Oh, I did I mention the DM? Being from Pittsburgh, I love that NYC accent. Fran said that Dom from Steel City was the best dressed DM, well, there is no doubt who was the best looking.

Reading Buccaneers competitive, I am amazed at how Sr. corps has progressed from the days when I marched. We had mostly old guys with a handful of youngsters, now it just the opposite. Watching them rehease in the afternoon, I honestly don't think I could handle it these days. As far as the show, not really my taste, I love the in your face drum corps. They did perrform with great balance, however, from my vantage point, the back of the auditourium, the lower brass was a bit hard to hear at times. I was impressed with the drumline, and not being a drummer, it takes alot for me to notice. Very nice show overall and GOOD LUCK this summer!

I would also like to review the turkey dinner. EXCELLENT! Where else can you eat all you want, drink all you want, and all the dessert you can eat for $7. Great choices from mashed potatoes to sweet potatoes, to ham or turkey or both and stuffing, man, that was great!