Synthesizers in drum corps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff...after what I heard from Spirit, Boston, Glassmen...the synth is a horrible idea. Some are going way overboard as to make the show sound like a darn Yanni concert. Spirit was the worst of them all tonite.

it seems like the judges didn't like spirit's synth tonight either. . .

This is assuming

A) The wool uniforms cost the same as the new uniforms despite the new uniforms being made by a lot more manufacturers (which gives the ability to shop around), and also with different materials.

B) Not taking into account the cost of dry cleaning 100+ uniforms several times per season

C) A bit of a repeat from A, but from my understanding wool uniforms just aren't offered by very many companies anymore.

Having worn a decade-old wool uniform in the Cadets...what is this "dry cleaning" that you speak of? :tongue:

It also assumes that the old uniforms were wool, and the new ones aren't.

I wore a polyester uniform with a cotton blend blouse in 1973, so I know that all uniforms weren't wool. I don't have any data on the composition of the Cadets uniforms either then or now. This very well could be the cause of the reduced life span, but I am not sure that it is, or if it is that it is only reason.

Then: Cadets were wool.

given my love of percoet at the moment, i'd have no idea where to look, i am just trying to remember what I read on here 4 years ago. 1.4 is still a huge jump, even after a few days off. wonder if thats when the amps went in

Of course, you also have to look at the other corps at the show. Ranking and rating at the show is the primary goal, as you know, I'm sure. Far more relevant than making a linear show-to-show comparison of a single corps across shows.

People on here post about Texas like it is the 8th level of hell or something. Corps have been touring for decades, and rarely spend all of July there. The average temperature in Texas isn't that much hotter than it used to be. Certainly not enough to warrent an additional cost of more than $93,000 over ten years.

All I know is that at the 1971 VFW Nats prelims in the Cotton Bowl, as we were waiting outside the gate to perform, in our wool unis, I overheard one security guard tell another that it was 135 on the field! :tongue:

It still dosn't seem to be an economy drive that causes a cycle of buying new horns every couple of years. Bugles used to last for years, even decades, without needing replacement. Are there really such radical improvements in the designs every year, or is this a need to be percieved as being on or ahead of the curve in having the newest and best?

Having the newest and best is a good thing, IMO. And it's a lot easier to sell horns that are in good shape...and relatively current..than it is to sell very old and worn out obsolete horns.

Having the newest and best is a good thing, IMO. And it's a lot easier to sell horns that are in good shape...and relatively current..than it is to sell very old and worn out obsolete horns.

Having the newest and the best is a good thing, to a certain extent. The problem comes in when the market is driven by the few that are able to continually purchase new items. I'm not trying to say that instruments that are worn out shouldn't be replaced, but do they seriously wear out that quickly? They didn't used to. As to obsolescence, are brass instruments seriously being reinvented every year or two? How much different is this year's trumpet from those of 2007?

Edited by j.morgus

All I know is that at the 1971 VFW Nats prelims in the Cotton Bowl, as we were waiting outside the gate to perform, in our wool unis, I overheard one security guard tell another that it was 135 on the field! :tongue:

Yeah, it can get hot. I seem to remember similar field temperatures at class A prelims in Kansas City in 1988. One kid put his black plastic hat on his snare drum while waiting and the head popped from the heat build up. I'm glad that those unis didn't even have a jacket, just shirts and suspenders.