OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

Necessary if you want a robotic outcome without any meaning. The heart does not get in the way . . . the heart guides the way.

I disagree -

My heart says I love the Scouts/I want them to be top 6 again/that in 3 weeks they can reach top 9 or above

My head says I love the Scouts/there are some very disappointing things about this year/top 9 is a pipe dream

My head also says that I can still be a huge supporter of the Scouts while still being a little realistic about what is going on.

Of course I don't want a robotic outcome without any meaning, who would?

There can be a real seperation of head and heart while being a Scouts supporter.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Elvord's post was obviously targeted for the "heart" of members, staff, alums, and fans. So lets appreciate it for that, and let it inspire.

agreed :blink:

Go Scouts!!!

30+ years later and I am still inspired by Mr. Elvord.

Thanks Jimmy.

Dear Madison Supporters and Interested Site Attendees:

I can understand those who question my belief that our gentlemen will come through. We have a history of taking the difficult route from A to B. To paraphrase and then quote Dr. Seuss --”We are in a SLUMP,” “ And when you’re in a Slump you’re not in for much fun. Un-slumping yourself is not easily done.” I have been a part of causing slumps and the agonizing wait time it takes to come out of a slump. What I’ve learned is that the only game we can’t win is when we play against ourselves. All other games we can win because we are smarter. We just have to be ourselves, because that is the standard by which we are being adjudicated by. If you see the best of competitors as the tops of mountains, then true Madison is the ocean surrounding them. The 2009 edition is now starting to be who it really is--Mystic Madison. These men will do what ever is necessary to climb those mountains. Having put our men in similar situations, I know what the corps is capable achieving when against a wall. What they need from us right now is faith in them to do their job. They won’t let themselves down! If you still have trouble understanding where I am going, try this: gather 12 small sticks or pencils or tooth pics. Lay them into two piles, one with 10 sticks and one with two sticks. Take a stick from the two pile and break it. Do it again. Now take all the sticks in the ten pile and try to break them. Now you know what we have to do as the back stop for this edition. Go to training and look for the excellence. We always perform at our best in front of a crowd!

James Elvord

Lifer

Wow - The Men of Madison have done an AMAZING job of cleaning the show since Denver. It was really exciting to see! Congrats on this fabulous improvement - much cleaner figures and lines!! WOW!! Lots of cool additions!

Anyone know about the holes? One snare and one brass at least?

Keep up the great work, guys!! And GO PLATES!!!

We just have to be ourselves, because that is the standard by which we are being adjudicated by. If you see the best of competitors as the tops of mountains, then true Madison is the ocean surrounding them. The 2009 edition is now starting to be who it really is--Mystic Madison. These men will do what ever is necessary to climb those mountains.

James Elvord

Lifer

:blink:

NICE!!

From what I have read, tonight's show was tons better than last week at DATR - so good to hear!!

Mr. Elvord,

I'm new to the Scout organization this year, so not familiar with who you are, but thank you for your words of wisdom on our Men of Madison. They are pouring their heart into their program this year. I sure wish you could give them a pep talk before one of their perfomances.

I believe. I believe.

Thank you.

A rookie Madison mom.

Dear Madison Supporters and Interested Site Attendees:

I can understand those who question my belief that our gentlemen will come through.

We always perform at our best in front of a crowd!

James Elvord

Lifer

I truly hope that the Scouts will make finals, if anyone were to go back and look at any of my posts they would be 99% positive of the Scouts. I'm an admitted homer.

And while I may not agree with some of your initial post, I agree 100% with your last statement.

GO SCOUTS!!!

POW!!!