OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

Seriously guys, the fact that the drill is dirty is actually good news - this means they do in fact have a snowballs' chance. Madison CAN make a 3 point jump in a week, they've done it before, and cleaning drill is the most efficient way to do it at this point.

Man, I love the Scouts organization like brothers, but I gotta say that I'm not sure it's possible to change the mindset of the judging community at this stage in the game. I'm concerned that most of them have decided this is a 15th place corps at best, and that short of really pulling something out of hat and going into Quarters with a performance that isn't "a lot" better, but "orders of magnitude" better than anything lately, that the die has been cast. Just watched Troopers from Allentown, and though I think they're a lock for Finals at this point, I also see that with some better execution in the visual department, Scouts could have been in that same spot - but they would have had to force the judges to give them the number by being so much cleaner than the other 12-15th corps that the difference is obvious even to a blind guy over in the next state.

That being said, like a baseball team that knows it's out of the running in September, this is a good time to lay the groundwork for improvement next year and give the young guys a reason to stay on top of their game over the winter. One way to do that is to spend the next few days trying to clean the most obvious problem areas and looking to add some small, stupid GE'ish elements to the show that would make the guys in the corps laugh and look forward to showing them off. It's always interesting to see at what one or two little additional bits can do to get performers hyped up again about doing another run.

And then, for future reference, Scouts staff - don't do 'camp', if that's what this show was supposed to be. It's not that interesting, it usually ceases being funny a few minutes into the joke, and it boxes you in from a style standpoint. Go big, go ballsy, and for God's sake stop ####### around with the uniform. It's fine. Put your energy into musical selections that define how it is you see your organization. Program for the personality of the corps as you want the audiences to see you, and your members' enthusiasm for that portrayal will buy you the energy and focus from them that you need to improve the numbers.

Edited by mobrien

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I love the Scouts organization like brothers, but I gotta say that I'm not sure it's possible to change the mindset of the judging community at this stage in the game. I'm concerned that most of them have decided this is a 15th place corps at best, and that short of really pulling something out of hat and going into Quarters with a performance that isn't "a lot" better, but "orders of magnitude" better than anything lately, that the die has been cast. Just watched Troopers from Allentown, and though I think they're a lock for Finals at this point, I also see that with some better execution in the visual department, Scouts could have been in that same spot - but they would have had to force the judges to give them the number by being so much cleaner than the other 12-15th corps that the difference is obvious even to a blind guy over in the next state.

That being said, like a baseball team that knows it's out of the running in September, this is a good time to lay the groundwork for improvement next year and give the young guys a reason to stay on top of their game over the winter. One way to do that is to spend the next few days trying to clean the most obvious problem areas and looking to add some small, stupid GE'ish elements to the show that would make the guys in the corps laugh and look forward to showing them off. It's always interesting to see at what one or two little additional bits can do to get performers hyped up again about doing another run.

And then, for future reference, Scouts staff - don't do 'camp', if that's what this show was supposed to be. It's not that interesting, it usually ceases being funny a few minutes into the joke, and it boxes you in from a style standpoint. Go big, go ballsy, and for God's sake stop ####### around with the uniform. It's fine. Put your energy into musical selections that define how it is you see your organization. Program for the personality of the corps as you want the audiences to see you, and your members' enthusiasm for that portrayal will buy you the energy and focus from them that you need to improve the numbers.

Great post, mobrien.

Being a corps director must be the easiest job in the world. Just go on the internet and take advice from all the experts. :shutup:

I booked a cheap room about 10 miles out. I live in NY, don't need to go to Indy for NY prices :shutup:

Looking into that as well... have an ultra-cheap Motel 6 room 5 miles away as a backup, but not sure I want to go that cheesy. Would be nice to have the convenience of the downtown activities instead of being isolated at the No-Name Motel, but may decide to stay near the airport in something a bit nicer than Motel 6 instead.

Trade-off is either to share and be close-in for $85/each per night, or to get my own room farther out for about the same nightly rate (assuming I upgrade from Motel 6).

Linda

I wish that everyone would just relax. The Scouts are going to be fine. OK, so it's not their year, and I never marched with them (although I wish I had) but I can honestly say that I've never met a Scout who wasn't proud of where he came from, no matter what year he marched. Honor is something that can't be bought or sold. It's the only thing in life that you ever really truly own, and the Scouts have an abundance of it.

Piper......Man, wouldn't it be great if we could all just chill? Ahhhh I feel so much better now knowing that the Scouts "are going to be just fine". I think I'll also alert the Board of Directors, the Directors of the corps, the thousands of alumni and the hundreds of thousands of die-hard Madison fans that have been patiently waiting for Madison to re-emerge from their over-extended hiatus to re-claim their mantel of awe, power, finesse, swagger and dominance, I.E., Madison being Madison! While I'm at it, I think I'll also alert all those that are afraid if the current version persists much longer, there wont be anyone left in the activity that remembers "what the Scouts are and what to expect when they come through the gate". So, a tip of the hat to you "Piper" for doing yo-mans work and figuring out the answers to all of Madison's challenges. Simply Relax........

You see, you said something very revealing, "you never marched Madison". If one truly "knows" this corps, there are a few expectations and there's and understanding of where this corps has come from and what they've attained. There's also a healthy understanding of the heights from which this corps has fallen and the pains encountered to reemerge in classic Madison form. After the bar was set this season, watching what has unfolded has been a pretty brutal pill to swallow.

Furthermore, I don't recall anyone posting here calling into question marching member "pride" or "honor"........to the contrary.

Again, I appreciate your attempt at a simplistic resolution, but in this case, I contend that you're a tad out of your league and your response lacks proper depth. And as a suggestion, next time, maybe give a little more credence and benefit of doubt to those who know of what they speak......especially those that have experienced Madison in the most intimate way possible.

It's to bad blind faith and a snap of the finger don't solve more problems.......right????

Now........lets see if Madison can work some cleaning and performance magic! (no pun intended.......maybe)

Edited by Mad75

Piper......Man, wouldn't it be great if we could all just chill? Ahhhh I feel so much better now knowing that the Scouts "are going to be just fine". I think I'll also alert the Board of Directors, the Directors of the corps, the thousands of alumni and the hundreds of thousands of die-hard Madison fans that have been patiently waiting for Madison to re-emerge from their over-extended hiatus to re-claim their mantel of awe, power, finesse, swagger and dominance, I.E., Madison being Madison! While I'm at it, I think I'll also alert all those that are afraid if the current version persists much longer, there wont be anyone left in the activity that remembers "what the Scouts are and what to expect when they come through the gate". So, a tip of the hat to you "Piper" for doing yo-mans work and figuring out the answers to all of Madison's challenges. Simply Relax........

You see, you said something very revealing, "you never marched Madison". If one truly "knows" this corps, there are a few expectations and there's and understanding of where this corps has come from and what they've attained. There's also a healthy understanding of the heights from which this corps has fallen and the pains encountered to reemerge in classic Madison form. After the bar was set this season, watching what has unfolded has been a pretty brutal pill to swallow.

Furthermore, I don't recall anyone posting here calling into question marching member "pride" or "honor"........to the contrary.

Again, I appreciate your attempt at a simplistic resolution, but in this case, I contend that you're a tad out of your league and your response lacks proper depth. And as a suggestion, next time, maybe give a little more credence and benefit of doubt to those who know of what they speak......especially those that have experienced Madison in the most intimate way possible.

It's to bad blind faith and a snap of the finger don't solve more problems.......right????

Now........lets see if Madison can work some cleaning and performance magic!

Funny, your response just proved Piper's point.

Now........lets see if Madison can work some cleaning and performance magic!

Darn... and I thought my Magic Wand would work.

[is this thing on???]

...Ferdinand Foch should have had the good sense to say “Men…it’s hopeless…von Moltke’s got our number! We may have once been a force to be reckoned with but the truth is guy’s, we just suck and all that is left is for us to put up our hands and learn to love sauerkraut.” ...

I never suggested they quit working to improve. That's not manly or honorable. But some people here have been ignoring the reality that Madison just isn't very good this year when compared to the competition and the trend line is not pointing up.

I'm talking about maintaining realistic expectations and recognizing that all is not rosy in the land of Cheese. Asking or expecting Madison to surpass the corps in front of them now is like expecting to bench 400 in a meet when your max to date is 290. No one would realistically suggest that that was possible.

My other complaint is with the limited people who seem to think squeaking into semis is special. "IT'S NOT FOR MADISON", I would shout front the highest mountain. But that's because I have a memory of the '75 corps, and '81, and '88, and '94, and '96. My memory doesn't begin in 2007.

If enough people subscribe to the philosophy that placement doesn't matter, and mediocrity is acceptable, I fear that support for Madison will dwindle in these economically hard times and Madison as we know them may seek to exist. While I'm not in a position to know, I wonder who has sold a higher dollar amount of souvies; Blue Stars or Madison. Income comes with competitive success.