OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

Darn... and I thought my Magic Wand would work.

[is this thing on???]

Hah. Just took the kids to see Harry Potter and the HBP.

Talk about a swing and a miss. oof.

Speaking of great divides, the difference in acting ability between the younger (Radcliff, Watson, Grint) and older (Gambon, Rickman, Smith) British thespians is astonishing. Jim Broadbent is incredible.

"Wands out!" Oy.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah. Just took the kids to see Harry Potter and the HBP.

Talk about a swing and a miss. oof.

Speaking of great divides, the difference in acting ability between the younger (Radcliff, Watson, Grint) and older (Gambon, Rickman, Smith) British thespians is astonishing. Jim Broadbent is incredible.

"Wands out!" Oy.

Wrong show... that quote was from Wicked, not Harry Potter.

I can has BYBO?

There's a "wands out" in HP, trust me.

I was referring to the "Is this thing on?" quote... that's from Wicked.

I never suggested they quit working to improve. That's not manly or honorable. But some people here have been ignoring the reality that Madison just isn't very good this year when compared to the competition and the trend line is not pointing up.

I'm talking about maintaining realistic expectations and recognizing that all is not rosy in the land of Cheese. Asking or expecting Madison to surpass the corps in front of them now is like expecting to bench 400 in a meet when your max to date is 290. No one would realistically suggest that that was possible.

My other complaint is with the limited people who seem to think squeaking into semis is special. "IT'S NOT FOR MADISON", I would shout front the highest mountain. But that's because I have a memory of the '75 corps, and '81, and '88, and '94, and '96. My memory doesn't begin in 2007.

If enough people subscribe to the philosophy that placement doesn't matter, and mediocrity is acceptable, I fear that support for Madison will dwindle in these economically hard times and Madison as we know them may seek to exist. While I'm not in a position to know, I wonder who has sold a higher dollar amount of souvies; Blue Stars or Madison. Income comes with competitive success.

I am doing something I said I would not do , so I must tell everyone that I am sorry for going back on my word !!!!!

For the record, I was on the road with the souvies for about 20 days. The Madison Scouts out sold everyone on most of those nights . I know because all the people that work souvies for all corps get along great and we all talk sales .

Bill Leslie

Long time fans yearn for the day when Madison will be tenacious and scary again. Taking nothing away from any corps that's ahead of Madison, but the universe just seems out of whack when Madison isn't a shoe-in for performing "under the lights on Saturday night". Newer fans may be ok with mediocrity, and alumni may be p_ssed at my post, but I'm just relating my view as a left coast Madison fan hoping for their return to glory...to me placement matters. As does entertaining the crowd and doing drum corps in a respectful and proper manner. Two things Madison has never failed to do.

pow

Could you clerify what you mean by mediacrity?

I have traveled with these guys this year - watched them rehearse, work out, bond - they are not mediocre. I have talked with the staff - they are not mediocre. I have talked with the countless volunteers who give many hours and the donors who give their money - they are not mediocre. We "new fans" if you must label us, do not accept mediacrity.

I told some of the MEN about the cool story MAD75 told about the 75 corp being in Southie and the call "Madison Rumble" going out and the brotherhood responding - the 2009 corp says that attitude still exists, and has been evident throughout various situations this year. So.... that is not mediacre.

The event last night with SCV was a move to reinitiate a long time tradition. Is that mediocre?

So Mr. Machiavelli - please clerify your use of the term mediacrity?

Oh ya-

POW!

Superb: marked to the highest degree by grandeur, excellence, brilliance, or competence

Excellent: very good of its kind : eminently good

Average: a ratio expressing the average performance

Mediocre: of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance

Poor: inferior in quality or value

I guess you could apply these definitions to the positions of the corps...1 - 22. I guess I was mistaken.

I have traveled with these guys this year - watched them rehearse, work out, bond - they are not mediocre. I have talked with the staff - they are not mediocre. I have talked with the countless volunteers who give many hours and the donors who give their money - they are not mediocre. We "new fans" if you must label us, do not accept mediacrity.

I told some of the MEN about the cool story MAD75 told about the 75 corp being in Southie and the call "Madison Rumble" going out and the brotherhood responding - the 2009 corp says that attitude still exists, and has been evident throughout various situations this year. So.... that is not mediacre.

The event last night with SCV was a move to reinitiate a long time tradition. Is that mediocre?

Oh ya-

POW!

In support of "Machiavelli",......not saying I can speak for him (or her?), but I think he was referring to some recent mentions here of those that might "settle" for something other then what Madison's history demands.

On another note, I'm glad the men enjoyed my story from the "vault" regarding "Madison Rumble".........and there's a whole lot more where that came from.

Oh, and by the way........Clean men, clean........and then max the sucker out!