Carolina Gold

This may be a two part question, but I was looking at the DCA schedule the other day and noticed that Carolina Gold is not attending any DCA South shows. I have a few questions about that. 1) Have they ever attended a DCA South sanctioned show (since the South Region has existed) and 2) Are they even a DCA South corps?

My next topic is, does every corps that attends Championships belong to a region? I know we group corps mentally into a region, but are they automatically members, or do they have to attend shows to be members. I understand the purpose of competing up North... generally the comeptition is better up there and the judges get a better read of where you stand in the rankings. Peronsally though, I would think it would be beneficially to a corps like Caronlina Gold to take advantage of closer shows. In addition to the shorter distance, it would make them eligible to contend for the DCA South Championship (which I think they would be good contenders... especially in Class A).

I guess this goes back to me be an advocate for regions (particularly the South). I think it is what will keep the most corps around for longer periods of time. Plus, when regions become stronger, it may attract Northern or Midwestern corps to travel to our neck of the woods every now and then.

What are your opinions on all of this?

I think I remember a discussion a couple years ago about this, specifically about Gold heading "up north" for shows. They quoted distances, and it was actually a significantly shorter trip to NJ and PA for them than to GA and FL.

Works out well for me, since that means I get to see 'em at Wildwood.

I think I remember a discussion a couple years ago about this, specifically about Gold heading "up north" for shows. They quoted distances, and it was actually a significantly shorter trip to NJ and PA for them than to GA and FL.

Works out well for me, since that means I get to see 'em at Wildwood.

Even TN? Sometimes I forget that the southern states (especially GA) are fairly large.

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons, but if I were to venture a guess (and remember this is purely speculation), I'd say it probably has something to do with $$$. Most shows in the South barely break even (if that) and can't afford to pay the corps yet. Someday maybe, but not just yet. DCA has existed a lot longer up here and most of the shows have been running successfully (for decades in some cases) and can afford to pony up the dough, so-to-speak. It takes money to run a drum corps. Plus there is always the "being adjudicated against the NorthEast corps" thing too. That may play a part as well.

Even TN? Sometimes I forget that the southern states (especially GA) are fairly large.

Beats me - I'm just one of those provincial northeastern guys who are the root of all of DCA's "problems" All I know are MA, CT, NJ, NY, PA, and, previously, MD :thumbup:

No....Renegades and SoCal Dream do not, as there IS no DCA-West region yet.

Isn't the west one corps shy of forming a DCA region?

To answer one part of the OP's question. Yes, Carolina Gold was a DCA South corps, I think for the first two years when DCAS started. I remember going up to NC for one of the competitions and Gold coming to ATL. I think that was one of the marathon show weekends here... Rockmart one night, Raleigh area the next day.

Isn't the west one corps shy of forming a DCA region?

With Kingsmen passing their eval, one of the major hurdles HAS been jumped....don't know when the region would be sanctioned, however...given the time frame, 2010 at the earliest. i don't know what else needs to be done TO sanction the region aside from sufficient sr corps.