My aching back....

Drums, especially tenors, are absurdly; unacceptably heavy. In fact, my unwavering insistence on lightweight drums has been one of the driving characteristics of my adult drumline 2nd Wind in the north Seattle area. Our heaviest drums [tenors] weigh-in at a whopping 17 pounds! All our other drums are lighter weight.

In fact, we recently got rid of our unison size 22 lb bass drums for unison size 16 lb bass, just to keep one of our bass drummers, who has a bad back, from having to suffer through practice & especially performances. See, I refuse to ask adults to destroy any part of their backs/bodies merely for the sake of a performing arts group, regardless of their enthusiasm and dedication to it.

Additionally, the very happy financial news is that we don need no steenkin' drum stands, either. No need to buy, transport, store or replace them. Zip.

2nd Wind: Heavyweight drumming. Lightweight drums.

Jim Nevermann

Drum Arranger & Instructor

Edited by Jim Nevermann

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, Bill. I don't know if I'm the exception or the rule. All I know is, Dr. Klein was one fantastic doctor and surgeon. At my first visit and examination, he said, "If it's what I think it is, it should be an easy fix, with surgery." This is not what I was expecting or wanted to hear, but he arranged the tests, and left the decision to me. One week after that first visit, I had the surgery. Thank God I did.

John

Thanks for the good news and info. I think that I'm probably going to go that route. I'm at the point where walking is becoming a chore.

Drums, especially tenors, are absurdly; unacceptably heavy. In fact, my unwavering insistence on lightweight drums has been one of the driving characteristics of my adult drumline 2nd Wind in the north Seattle area. Our heaviest drums [tenors] weigh-in at a whopping 17 pounds! All our other drums are lighter weight.

In fact, we recently got rid of our unison size 22 lb bass drums for unison size 16 lb bass, just to keep one of our bass drummers, who has a bad back, from having to suffer through practice & especially performances. See, I refuse to ask adults to destroy any part of their backs/bodies merely for the sake of a performing arts group, regardless of their enthusiasm and dedication to it. I truly don't care one iota what equipment other lines use: we in 2nd Wind are not and will not be "fashion slaves".

Additionally, the very happy financial news is that we don need no steenkin' drum stands, either. No need to buy, transport, store or replace them. Zip.

2nd Wind: Heavyweight drumming. Lightweight drums.

Jim Nevermann

Drum Arranger & Instructor

You are so right Jim. I know that marching with the baby quints was hard work. I'm going to hate to see these kids marching the MACK DADDY sixpacks in 20 years!!!!

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

Three years ago, we had the late Rick Rogers build lightweight basses for us. Two years ago, we went to him again for lightweight double tenors to replace our old, heavy double congas. (God bless him, and may he rest in peace!) Our (my) concern for the health and well-being of our drummers is very personal, as you might guess.

We also use all-metal vintage Ludwig 12" X 15" snare drums which are lighter than any other drum I've ever used. I don't know the actual weights, but I think they might even give the wedge snares a run for their money!

I'm not a percussionist, but I can definitely sympathize with your situation. I've been playing contra since 1986, and I keep getting bigger and bigger horns (up to a 5/4 size, 4 valve now, 29lbs. Started on a 3/4 size, 2 valve horn at 18lbs.)

Last year I almost couldn't march our home show due to a lower back issue. Had it checked out, sure enough, bulging disc. Went through 2 months of PT, and probably the best thing that they did during the sessions was hook me up to the TENS unit. It runs electricity through the muscles and is supposed to block out the pain pathways or something. Whatever it does, it worked wonders.

About a month after I finished my PT, I ran across this on a shopping site and bought the thing. Whenever I start to have a low level pain start up in my back, I strap on the TENS unit and enjoy. Seems to provide relief for days/weeks.

Most of my PT involved doing Pilates-type core-strengthening exercises. Oddly enough, I found that if my back was hurting to the point where it hurt to walk, I could get some relief by doing all those things I was taught in Drum Corps - pull up from your chest, roll step, tighten your hiney...all those proper marching techniques.

*Insert typical disclaimers here...the above items are things that worked for me, and were started under the advice of a sports medicine Dr... Blah blah blah, YMMV*

PS - the above site lists the unit at $150 - I think I paid $50, and you can find similar things by searching for "TENS unit" through any of your favorite search providers or Amazon-type sites.

Edited by nukeme70

• 5 weeks later...

I have degenerative disc disorder in the lower back, so that's not a whole lot of fun when it's acting up but generally it's not too bad now. More annoying is the constant ringing in my right ear.

I'm going to hate to see these kids marching the MACK DADDY sixpacks in 20 years!!!!

I marched a six pack at 17 years old.

I am marching a six pack again at 27 years old.

I will let you know how 37 feels.

Adam, you are the man! Even though the thought of it gave me a back twinge, I'm still kind of envious! Best of luck!!!

Meantime, I'm hoping to pursue the surgery route-checked on John's doctor last night to see if he is in my health insurance plan. So I'm hoping to get that ball started. Next week some more cortisone shots which have offered some slight relief.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

• 4 weeks later...

Don't worry about 37 or even 47. It's 57 that will kill you! :thumbup:

I am marching a six pack again at 27 years old. I will let you know how 37 feels.

Please do. I'm still happily marching at 60... without back problems, either. The heaviest drums in 2nd Wind are Dynasty 'squint' triple tenors at 17 pounds. Yeah, only half the number of drums as a six pack... and only half the weight! :thumbup: