My aching back....

Please do. I'm still happily marching at 60... without back problems, either. The heaviest drums in 2nd Wind are Dynasty 'squint' triple tenors at 17 pounds. Yeah, only half the number of drums as a six pack... and only half the weight! :thumbup:

I guess that would be the thing to have if you were starting a corps with young kids (or really really old kids!).

What is the lightest line of drums that would still be OK for outdoor, field use?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have ruptured (or herniated-can't remember which one) discs, Sciatica (Burning pain from the back through the butt and down the leg) like you can't believe and sometimes have trouble walking or standing. I've had several cortisone shots, that have relieved the pain, but only temporarily. Anyone else having these problems? Any other solutions-did surgery do any good? I've heard mixed reviews regarding the surgery.

Anybody else having this trouble? I would guess I'm not alone. I'm pretty sure it comes from playing tenors for about five years straight all summer long. Started with some mongo "timp-toms" lol, back in hs and finished my career on special gold plated Slingerlands that weighed a ton. Plus back in the day, we didn't have stands, so I wore them all of the time through drum and baton corps, drum corps, and during off season, high school marching band, and college marching band all at 5'10 and about 120. Although I'm playing snare in my profile, I actually only marched snare one year (83).

Anyhow,-anyone with any advice-mutual stories of percocet?

Sounds like everyone has similar stories. I know people that have no problems many years later, some that had surgery and are ok and some that surgery did not help. The ones that have to take drugs every day seem the happiest, but I account the drugs for that. :thumbup: my back is wiped out but I also fell off a roof. That didn't help. Each is different. Surgery is a crap shoot when it comes to back problems. I agree with the others, get a real good doctor if you need it!

So I have ruptured (or herniated-can't remember which one) discs, Sciatica (Burning pain from the back through the butt and down the leg) like you can't believe and sometimes have trouble walking or standing. I've had several cortisone shots, that have relieved the pain, but only temporarily. Anyone else having these problems? Any other solutions-did surgery do any good? I've heard mixed reviews regarding the surgery.

Anybody else having this trouble? I would guess I'm not alone. I'm pretty sure it comes from playing tenors for about five years straight all summer long. Started with some mongo "timp-toms" lol, back in hs and finished my career on special gold plated Slingerlands that weighed a ton. Plus back in the day, we didn't have stands, so I wore them all of the time through drum and baton corps, drum corps, and during off season, high school marching band, and college marching band all at 5'10 and about 120. Although I'm playing snare in my profile, I actually only marched snare one year (83).

Anyhow,-anyone with any advice-mutual stories of percocet?

I marched snare for 6 years , then blew a disc in boot camp in 1989. Back then surgery was hammer and chisel stuff and I said "No thanks!" Learned to live with the pain and take as much as 8 Nuprin four times a day. I built my own house with my own hands, built a career, and learned to scuba dive but the pain was always one wrong move away.

Then, in 1999, a normal twist getting out of bed put me on my knees. The surgeon found a total of three discs blown: L5-S1, L4-L5, and L2-L3. I had the surgery and it was a miracle cure. He only took out the center of each disc and I'm about 1/2" shorter now than in school. But the pain is gone and my left foot hasn't been numb in 10 years. However, I would never consider strapping on a drum now.

I say go for the surgery. The technologies today are amazing and I'd bet on a complete success (assuming a skilled surgeon, of course).

What is the lightest line of drums that would still be OK for outdoor, field use?

In their compressed, weight-bearing world, vertebrae and intervertebral discs don't care about which group is playing which brand of drums. So, for me, Dynasty's lightweight Wedge snares & Squint tenors [the latter of which, very oddly, they don't actively advertise] win by a landslide. I'd heartily recommend them for all age groups.

Edited by Jim Nevermann

• 3 months later...