Auto-Tune and its potential impact on DCI

I recently discovered something called Auto-Tune. (Wikipedia article)

Basically, it can change the pitch of a vocal or instrumental live performance.

With all the new rules in DCI, it didn't take long till I thought about its implementation in DCI.

Maybe not the hornline (for now), but vocal and pit instruments could be guaranteed perfect pitch.

Is it legal with current rules? How long before we could have "real time" tuning of brass instruments? It doesn't seem too hard to accomplish with tiny electric motors and tiny computers. Would that be legal?

Edited by jblamb1401

Is it legal with current rules? How long before we could have "real time" tuning of brass instruments? It doesn't seem too hard to accomplish with tiny electric motors and tiny computers. Would that be legal?

Not sure about the legality under current rules, but many vocal artists have been using it for some time for artistic effect. I'm thinking particularly of Cher's comeback hit a few years ago and pretty much the entirety of Jay-Z's latest album.

Interesting idea, whether you're thinking about it in terms of "cheating" on pitch or in terms of effects.

Auto tune is both good and evil. I would hate to see it come to drum corps. Too many bad singers are out there making #### tons of money with the help of auto tune. Like I have said before. The test of a true musician is if they can perform well live. This is why I love DC.

The fact of the matter is that Auto-Tune will not be used in corps whatsoever beyond a (rather expensive) effect. It can be used throughout the recording process if you engineer has time to 'chart out' the pitches, which makes it sound (arguably) realistic. Without having that kind of time during a live show, it can only be used as an audio effect, where it serves the same purpose of a vocoder without having to have somebody on a keyboard.

When you use auto-tune on its 'automatic mode' it takes out the tiny wobble and differences in pitch that create the real richness of an instrument's sound.

Long story short, if they want auto-tune during a real show, they can probably save money and have their keyboardist use a vocoder.

Not to mention that auto tune can be disastrous in a live situation since it auto tunes to the closest pitch. It can create a neat effect, no doubt...but if you're TOO flat or sharp, it can auto tune you to the next lower or higher whole or semitone. Big potential for disaster, if I understand the technology correctly.