SCV's new Pearl carriers

MikeN

SCV's Behind the Star #4 on Fan Network has some rehearsal footage of the drumline with what looks like some space-age Pearl drum carriers. Kind of / sort of like the current tube carriers, but it looks like they're a lot more open (and in black for once). Has anyone heard anything about these - what the details are on them?

Checked the SCV site - you can baaareeely make them out in their dress rehearsal pics. They've got the old carriers in their 5/30 pics, so they've come in in the last two weeks?

Mike

I've not heard anything but I did notice their carriers being different. The tube design looks interestingly a step back from the mono/duo-post design they've come out with in the past two years. Going back to j-bars seems like an odd move.

I have heard from a very reliable source that Randall May is working on an entirely new tenor mounting system so I would think Vanguard could be prototyping that as well. I was ecstatic to hear about the tenor system redesign because the current one is less than wonderful.

Randall May prototypes .. I believe another corps is prototyping also.. so I have heard thru some Yamaha folks.

Yes Scott... new tenor carriers are being egonomically redesigned.. (and there were cheers!)

Well, I was referring to the way the tenor drums are mounted to the backbar system. Randall May is the only one right now that does the old school way of connecting only drums 3 and 4 to the backbar, which always results in uneven, droopy drums.

Actually, XL's sextet Omnirail still does that too - we had those with WGM had no end of droopy-tenor problems. Finally, they told us that they now make a reinforcement plate that goes inside the shells of 3 and 4 to try to shore up the bolts there.

That is one advantage our Dynasty's have right now - those things aren't ever coming off the rail.

Mike

Yeah, the newer XL OmniRail system provides for a much more solid system now. And you're right, I forgot XL still only does the direct mounting to drums 3 and 4.

Well, I was referring to the way the tenor drums are mounted to the backbar system. Randall May is the only one right now that does the old school way of connecting only drums 3 and 4 to the backbar, which always results in uneven, droopy drums.

i dunno, i've never really had much of a problem with "sagging" or uneven drums on either of the may systems (yamaha/pearl)

if you do a little maintenance every few weeks and tighten up the bolts, or use locktite on the nuts and bolts, there's not problem at all

I've not heard anything but I did notice their carriers being different. The tube design looks interestingly a step back from the mono/duo-post design they've come out with in the past two years. Going back to j-bars seems like an odd move.

I have heard from a very reliable source that Randall May is working on an entirely new tenor mounting system so I would think Vanguard could be prototyping that as well. I was ecstatic to hear about the tenor system redesign because the current one is less than wonderful.

So if they don't use J-bars, what do they use?