Natural Progression vs. Forced Change

Now, is it "drum corps"? Not that anyone will ever ask me, but I would be happy to with a limit that allowed for any percussion that could be carried, even if you grounded it to play it. But that still doesn't define whether or not it is "drum corps".

Which makes it kind of difficult to decide what is natural or forced change in "drum corps." That really illustrates my point.

It's all personal preference. We all have different ways of justifying our personal preference. Using a dictionary isn't a very strong one to me. If I'm in the minority for that, then so be it.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. So synths came about because DCI allowed amplification. Amplification came about because of the grounded pit. The grounded pit came about because of the rule allowing timpani to be grounded during the concert number.

Grounded timpani --> Grounded pit --> Amps --> Synths --> ????

I won't go so far as to say that it is that cut and dried, but that does seem to be the progression that has lead to the state of the art. If "A" is OK, then why not "B"? Since "B" is allright, then there is no reason to to allow "C". Etc.

Which makes it kind of difficult to decide what is natural or forced change in "drum corps." That really illustrates my point.

It's all personal preference. We all have different ways of justifying our personal preference. Using a dictionary isn't a very strong one to me. If I'm in the minority for that, then so be it.

Yeah. If there were an "Easy Button" to answer these questions, quite a few of us would have had to find other things to do lately. :tongue:

Interesting. So synths came about because DCI allowed amplification. Amplification came about because of the grounded pit. The grounded pit came about because of the rule allowing timpani to be grounded during the concert number.

Grounded timpani --> Grounded pit --> Amps --> Synths --> ????

You made a very interesting connection, which seems to flow extremely well!

You made a very interesting connection, which seems to flow extremely well!

Does this similar statement flow as well: Before the automobile to get from point A to B was very time consuming because of the distance between. So, in order to get from A to B more effeciently humans started out walking then used horses, then locomotives, then cars and then aeroplanes--what will come next?

Edited by melloflava

Symphony orchestras with synthesizer and narration parts get written all the time, have been for decades. The symphony orchestra used to have a fairly rigid structure, in the 19th century, however in the 20th century composers began adding more and different means of creating sound. Why is drum corps, in your minds, different from a symphony orchestra? Is this for any pure objective reason, or simply, as Lance said, personal preference. If it is just personal preference then the opinion of the individual can't hold water.

Edited by stimmung

Why is drum corps, in your minds, different from a symphony orchestra?

For starters, I don't know of any circuits that exist for symphony orchestra competitions. I am sure, though, that if any ever get started SOI, or whatever they name themselves, will set rules for instrumentation. I also have a hunch that some orchestra fans will disagree with those rules.