Short to the point Walnut

first point: I didn't see one straight line or good diagonal dress out of any of the corps and think not having field judges did boost the scores)

SoCal Dream 58.250 (agree) This is the best I've seen SoCal this early, good show early season issues Good Soloists

Impulse 54.700 (Agree) Bigger than this time last year, think they needed another week to prepare, they should do well later in the season

Incognito 55.400 (Agree) Good sound for them, was a enjoyable show only thing I questioned was the pre-show and the huge incognito banner they ran over the corps

Velvet Knights 58.600 (thought they should of been closer to Mystical) The Coat tails are back, the red reboks are back, and they definetly have that VK fun feel and gags going.....very good show for them miles ahead of last year for a first show, if they fill in the holes this year will be a great step on their road back to world class

Mystical 61.9 (Agree) They finally have a "Drum Corps" show, very enjoyable and they continue to progress. oh and there was a Helmet casualty poor horn player lost a helmet early in the show then rest of the show we had the added GE of the kids kicking, marching on it, feathers flying etc.... :) They did run out of show and gas

Gold 63.300 (Agree) Gold they also finally found a "Drum Corps" show, they finally don't feel like a "band" good impacts, drum work and the show flowed nicely.

Pacific Crest 63.2 (Agree) As others have said they look great in their new threads, show is dirty top to bottom. Its entertaining and they should be able to clean it up and make some noise on the way to Indy

Mandrians 63.8 (agree) This show is going to be one of the Fan Favorites of the year....totally enjoyable, recognizable music and fun to watch. They have lots of power this year and once clean they should be in the top 17

Academy 66.00 (not sure) As others have state they have a show that they should be able to clean. Its managable and will end up being one of their best shows that will allow the performers to reach their potential

Vanguard 74.2 (should of been a little lower) Very enjoyable show and definetly some flashes of that old SCV field presence. the company front at the end was one of the highlights, good guard and drums seem their strong section. Down side was drill wasn't anything that memorable. (New uni's are great)

Blue Devils 76.1 (Disagree should of been closer to vanguard about a 73) Okay I give BD props on the playing and drumming but it looked like a cluttered mess with the chairs for most of the show, it has its moments with extending the playing and color guards vertical, but when it comes down to it their whole show just seems to be made up of snippets no emotion just power.

Overall It was a great enjoyable evening, I think that unless theres some major rewrites for both BD and SCV they could be surprised on where they finish Good enjoyable shows but not feeling it yet

Edited by blueorginal

Great to see you back, BlueOriginal!!!!

Geez, I didn't get that impression at all will SCV and BD! I thought both shows were very enjoyable. Although, I found the only thing memorable in SCV was the company front section. BD on the other hand, has a show that had a lot of innovative elements. Some will appreciate it, and some will find it distracting. I am excited to see how the closer is going to be.

Geez, I didn't get that impression at all will SCV and BD! I thought both shows were very enjoyable. Although, I found the only thing memorable in SCV was the company front section. BD on the other hand, has a show that had a lot of innovative elements. Some will appreciate it, and some will find it distracting. I am excited to see how the closer is going to be.

...I was taking pics on the track, so my thoughts are "ground level" only...SCV was the nostalgia-kings and cleaner than I've seen them, ever, in June; neat show and finally they'll be able to get the drill clean enough to represent grass-roots drumcorps in a manner to warrant a top 5 finish (probably an overreaction, tho, to previous uncleanable efforts...very human!) BD rocked my world (that *never* happens, folks ;0)...and there's another minute to go in the program. Sheesh. Chairs are effective, but, yes, can be a distraction...guard is on steroids and a *very* heavy component in a high skill-set program. They're in it to win. Arizona is capable of breaking into finals. Manderins are pretty dang cool and will give larger groups trouble...as Pacific Crest can attest. PC is huge, puts out a great sound when not challenged by learning curve, and just kinda leaves me shrugging my shoulders...

cg

I think my problem with BD show is that its so cluttered also I'm a brass man and just the loud cords here and there are great for warm ups but I'm somewhat a traditionalist in I really like hearing some melody, but they have the formula but I just don't know, its a championship design show, but will it hold up when the field judges hit the field and I wonder how the judges are going to manuver the chairs etc.... and does that affect their scoring.....

Side note, I remember les chantelanies(sp) using chairs think it was 1980, was enjoyable but at the time not well received until championships when the girls had it together with the closing clacks of the chairs to the standing and playing on them (they had great "hats" that year too

Having not actually seeing the California shows yet, I make a very general comment based only on a few vid snips and the audio I downloaded of 1930. Also, I bow to the much more experienced observations of Newseditor44 & BlueOriginal who (in addition to seeing the shows first hand - I'm envious) clearly understand the architecture of corps performance much better than me. Having said that, I see the design of BD this year and last as a effort to expand the activity; To punch you in the face, shock your senses, make it memorable, fun and in some way reach a more expanded audience. Such an effort some times is received with awe, and sometimes with aw ****! Afterall, awe is in the eye (and ear) of the beholder. I would guess that BD understands that they lost last year by a fraction to a "Story" told by an accomplished and talent corps; a story that fully developed at the end and connected to a mass audience starving for the connection. In that way, last year, BD and PR had shared goals with their shows and had nearly similar successes. In fact, it appears PR is once again opting for the "story" with hopes they will connect again. Hoppy, similarly, tried (and tried again) a "new" idea that we were not quite ready for (and may never be!). I also think that DCP and DCI audiences will continue to square-off, armed with their expectation of tradition vs new ideas and pepper the field with their opinions and applause (or lack there of).

So....I applaud the design staff of BD and look forward to being punched around a lot this year!

I also think that DCP and DCI audiences will continue to square-off, armed with their expectation of tradition vs new ideas and pepper the field with their opinions and applause (or lack there of).

So....I applaud the design staff of BD and look forward to being punched around a lot this year!

Well stated! I guess that is what I was trying to say.

All in all, after my first live viewing of the show last night, I am excited for the show in Riverside tonight! Unfortunately, I won't see any more shows in person until Dallas, TX. I am looking forward to see all the groups back to back!

first point: I didn't see one straight line or good diagonal dress out of any of the corps and think not having field judges did boost the scores)

SoCal Dream 58.250 (agree) This is the best I've seen SoCal this early, good show early season issues Good Soloists

Impulse 54.700 (Agree) Bigger than this time last year, think they needed another week to prepare, they should do well later in the season

Incognito 55.400 (Agree) Good sound for them, was a enjoyable show only thing I questioned was the pre-show and the huge incognito banner they ran over the corps

Velvet Knights 58.600 (thought they should of been closer to Mystical) The Coat tails are back, the red reboks are back, and they definetly have that VK fun feel and gags going.....very good show for them miles ahead of last year for a first show, if they fill in the holes this year will be a great step on their road back to world class

Mystical 61.9 (Agree) They finally have a "Drum Corps" show, very enjoyable and they continue to progress. oh and there was a Helmet casualty poor horn player lost a helmet early in the show then rest of the show we had the added GE of the kids kicking, marching on it, feathers flying etc.... :) They did run out of show and gas

Gold 63.300 (Agree) Gold they also finally found a "Drum Corps" show, they finally don't feel like a "band" good impacts, drum work and the show flowed nicely.

Pacific Crest 63.2 (Agree) As others have said they look great in their new threads, show is dirty top to bottom. Its entertaining and they should be able to clean it up and make some noise on the way to Indy

Mandrians 63.8 (agree) This show is going to be one of the Fan Favorites of the year....totally enjoyable, recognizable music and fun to watch. They have lots of power this year and once clean they should be in the top 17

Academy 66.00 (not sure) As others have state they have a show that they should be able to clean. Its managable and will end up being one of their best shows that will allow the performers to reach their potential

Vanguard 74.2 (should of been a little lower) Very enjoyable show and definetly some flashes of that old SCV field presence. the company front at the end was one of the highlights, good guard and drums seem their strong section. Down side was drill wasn't anything that memorable. (New uni's are great)

Blue Devils 76.1 (Disagree should of been closer to vanguard about a 73) Okay I give BD props on the playing and drumming but it looked like a cluttered mess with the chairs for most of the show, it has its moments with extending the playing and color guards vertical, but when it comes down to it their whole show just seems to be made up of snippets no emotion just power.

Overall It was a great enjoyable evening, I think that unless theres some major rewrites for both BD and SCV they could be surprised on where they finish Good enjoyable shows but not feeling it yet

these scores have not changed in 30 years. people are condition to the placement. time for a change.

these scores have not changed in 30 years. people are condition to the placement. time for a change.

Hear, Hear! :sad:

SoCal Dream 63.300

Impulse 54.700

Incognito 66.00

Velvet Knights 58.600

Mystical 76.1

Gold 58.250

Pacific Crest 63.2

Mandrians 74.2

Academy 55.400

Vanguard 63.8

Blue Devils 61.9

There ya go! Done!

Actually after watching the video I think it's a tale of 2 seating perspectives, from the top of the stadium the Blue Devils didn't look as cluttered as they did from my seat on the 45 row 10.....think that is why I didn't get that "ooooooh" feeling saw lots of nice stuff but still will wait for closer and necessary rewrites of certain areas