Electronics related rules

I dug up a lot of info about recent rule passages.

With all of the questions/speculation, I think it deserves it's own thread.

A little searching turned up this:

DCI Annual Meeting

Electronics

There was a clarification made regarding the use of electronics, a rule passed in 2008 for implementation in 2009. The following is the entire new section in the rule book:.

4.8 Use of Electronic Equipment

4.8.1 Terminology:

• “Music” (or “Musical”) shall be defined as the organization of melodic, harmonic and/or rhythmic sound through time.

• An “Electronic Instrument shall be defined as any pieces of electronic equipment that produces “Musical” sound.

• A “Sequence” or “Loop” shall be defined as “Music” that is pre-recorded or programmed during a performance.

• ”Human Voice” shall be defined as spoken word.

4.8.2 Music from Electronic Instruments is allowed given that the Music is being performed live, in real time during the performance.

4.8.3 Sequenced Music will not be allowed.

4.8.4 Musical Loops will not be allowed.

4.8.5 Pre-recorded Sound Effects and Human Voice can be used without penalty.

Permission must be obtained for all copyrighted material.

Monterastelli explains, “The Judges Advisory Committee and the instructors decided clarification of the electronics rules was necessary. We are allowing for electronic musical instruments and pre-recorded sounds. We are allowing for pre-recorded voice as well, but not for singing. For example, a corps could use the Martin Luther King Jr. ‘I Have a Dream’ speech, or bird sounds, or the sounds of a waterfall.

“However, a corps can’t have someone on a recording sing by just hitting a key. One single keystroke can only result in a single event. A single keystroke can’t result in multiple musical tones.”

“For further clarification, corps staff members have been instructed to send their questions to judge administrator John Phillips between now and the beginning of the season,” said Monterastelli. “He will publish the answers for everybody after discussing with the Judges Advisory Committee if necessary.”

Here's the proposal that failed in 2007 with a 10-10 vote:

Electronics proposal PDF

All I can find from the proposal that passed in 2008:

TITLE OF PROPOSED CHANGE: USE OF ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTS (2009 Implementation)

DESCRIPTION:

Use of Electronic Instruments Music from instruments such as electronic keyboards, synthesizers, electronic drum sets, and all other electronic instruments are allowed given that the instrument’s performer(s) are present and

performing live and in real time.

The use of melodic, harmonic and rhythmic (musical) sampled (pre-recorded/sequenced) sounds of human voices, wind instruments, and percussion instruments will not be allowed.

Sounds other than music (such as sound effects, and non-musical human voice) that are prerecorded and/or sequenced (sampled) can be used without penalty. Any pre-recorded sounds used that are copyrighted require all necessary and proper permissions be obtained for their use.

Note: For performance purposes, music (or musical) shall be defined as the organization of melodic, harmonic and rhythmic sound through time and should only be performed live and in real time by performers that are present and participating in the performance. Sampled sounds will be defined as sounds that are pre-recorded and/or sequenced, and triggered by the use of an electronic instrument(s) during a performance. Music (as defined above) cannot be sampled. All other sounds are considered sound effects and therefore can be sampled.

Proposal to allow amplification of brass instruments: Did this pass?

DCI Link

Amp brass proposal

And Finally, the synth proposal that passed for 2009 usage:

DCI Link

Synth rule PDF

"Music from instruments such as electronic keyboards, synthesizers, electronic drum sets, and all

other electronic instruments are allowed given that the instrument’s performer(s) are present and

performing live and in real time."

When you put the phrase "all other electronic instruments are allowed" into a rule it opens up loads of interpretation.

What qualifies as electronic?

I can't believe that this rule passed with that wording in it.

Edited by jblamb1401

I still don't see where it says that an electric bass is allowed. An electric bass is electric, not elecTRONic. There is a difference. Synths are electronic. Digital pianos and digital drums and malletkats are electronic. Electric basses aren't.

I think we should see if there can be a clarification on an upcoming Field Pass. . .I know Dan Potter used to read and post here, at least years previous he did.

How about it, Dan? Can we get George Oliviero or Gene Monterastelli on an episode to explain what the rules do and don't cover?

I would have to argue that the one in use by Spirit would qualify as an "electronic" instrument. The instrument in question has no sound box or other means of acustically amplifying or making the vibration of the strings audible. The only sound that is heard from that instrument is produced electronically by amplifying the signal from the pick-up.

If a bridge pickup were being used on an acustic string bass, then this might not be true.

"The use of melodic, harmonic and rhythmic (musical) sampled (pre-recorded/sequenced) sounds

of human voices, wind instruments, and percussion instruments will not be allowed."

How is any sound that comes out of an electronic keyboard not a pre-recorded/sequenced sound? The rule contradicts itself.

"The use of melodic, harmonic and rhythmic (musical) sampled (pre-recorded/sequenced) sounds

of human voices, wind instruments, and percussion instruments will not be allowed."

How is any sound that comes out of an electronic keyboard not a pre-recorded/sequenced sound? The rule contradicts itself.

The proposal does, at least, contradict (or vice versa) item 4.8.5, and the paragraph clarifying it as far as human voice goes. Sequencing, I believe refers to a pre-programed sequence of musical sounds, and not the individual sounds them selves.

i think that's referring mainly to the triggering of sequenced sounds that have rhythmic intent. ie breaking the one action/one sound rule.

I would have to argue that the one in use by Spirit would qualify as an "electronic" instrument. The instrument in question has no sound box or other means of acustically amplifying or making the vibration of the strings audible. The only sound that is heard from that instrument is produced electronically by amplifying the signal from the pick-up.

If a bridge pickup were being used on an acustic string bass, then this might not be true.

I disagree. If the electric bass isn't plugged into an amp, and you try and play it, it still will make sound. It will produce the same pitches that it would if you had it plugged in. It would just be extremely soft, and likely inaudible to people in the stands. Electricity does not produce the sounds on the electric bass or electric guitar, it merely amplifies it. The sound comes from the vibrations of the strings, same as on a violin or guitar or sitar or banjo or upright acoustic bass. The latter instruments all are amplified acoustically, while the electric bass is amplified electrically.

An electronic keyboard's sound is produced electronically. If it's not plugged into an amp, or if there's no power going to it, you don't hear squat. No sound is being produced whatsoever. Electricity is needed to PRODUCE the sound, and to amplify it of course.

I think if some corps really wanted to use a woodwind, say a flute or recorder or something, they could point to the precedent that's been set by allowing electric bass, and argue that these woodwind instruments should be allowed too, without any rule change.

I disagree. If the electric bass isn't plugged into an amp, and you try and play it, it still will make sound. It will produce the same pitches that it would if you had it plugged in. It would just be extremely soft, and likely inaudible to people in the stands. Electricity does not produce the sounds on the electric bass or electric guitar, it merely amplifies it. The sound comes from the vibrations of the strings, same as on a violin or guitar or sitar or banjo or upright acoustic bass. The latter instruments all are amplified acoustically, while the electric bass is amplified electrically.

An electronic keyboard's sound is produced electronically. If it's not plugged into an amp, or if there's no power going to it, you don't hear squat. No sound is being produced whatsoever. Electricity is needed to PRODUCE the sound, and to amplify it of course.

I think if some corps really wanted to use a woodwind, say a flute or recorder or something, they could point to the precedent that's been set by allowing electric bass, and argue that these woodwind instruments should be allowed too, without any rule change.

I was wondering that as well, because I agree with your point absolutely. An electric bass is not called an electric bass because it can produce no sound without amplification, but because it has no acoustic resonator...same with an electric violin. If either could produce NO SOUND without amplification, it would then be called an ELECTRONIC bass or ELECTRONIC violin. This definition falls outside of the rule change allowing for electronic instruments.

Edited by BigBadMadMan