In your opinion...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spartans 04 is simply a great show. I watch it just as much as I watch my own show from that year. It would be hard to argue with anyone who wanted to put that show on this list. At this point, it really is taking the greatest shows we've seen and putting them in order based on preference.

ECJ/Spartans 05 Academy 06 Spartans 07 vanguard 89 star 93 to name a few.

Ya, I' remember those two local 2/3 corps...Vanguard and Star...there's a lot of talent from the smaller corps, Div 1 better watch out :blink:

Whoever said Cascades '01 you are right, and an intelligent person. That was an awesome show. The *most*perfect shows for me are ones that display really well-trained members, and an engaging design comprised of something OTHER than:

Front Ensemble Introduction into First Impact (taking 1.5 minutes to do so)

Song 1 (152-180bpm)

-4 bar transition-

Song 2 (120-140bpm)

-buzz roll transition-

Quiet Song 3 (70-90bpm)

[choose your own adventure]

either

Drum Feature that makes no sense..(no melodic content then snares play bad, tenors play bad, basses play bad, cymbals jump in the air but look mean) into angry Song 4, then happy Song 5

and/or

Loud, Angry Song with anvils and flutter tongue 4/5

and/or

Uplifting Inspirational Song 4/5

Ends with a Triangle, or Chime

I'm poking fun, but it really isn't easy to avoid falling into the above pattern. Thus, I've seen very few *perfect* shows. Magic '02 was technically 2/3. You know, there are some corps that are technically World Class, but their competitors reaaaally aren't competitors.

To everyone who lost to Magic in '02 and really can't get over it...increase your placement by 1 and be happy. Unless you were in Capital Regiment, guess what...you still lost. :worthy:

The guard was quite deserving of that score! It's like they were clones or something. Impeccable performance. Will that carry over into Citations? Their guard was strong last year.

But for the best div 2/3 show ever, the award must go to Magic 02, as reflected in the score and overall outlook of the show. WOW!

hey who is this

I was in Memphis Sound 03 too

This thread really bothers me, not for the content, but because it reminds me that Open Class corps can no longer compete in World Class quarters. Even in the final few years the corps still had to declare it was going D1 the next year. I still can't think of any good reason why it's not allowed. Even looking at these lists, there are plenty of corps that could have done well in World class in recent years. Academy 06 may be the only one that had even the slightest of chances at finals, but I can think of a handful of others (ECJ definitely comes to mind) that could have possibly done some damage in semi's.

This thread really bothers me, not for the content, but because it reminds me that Open Class corps can no longer compete in World Class quarters. Even in the final few years the corps still had to declare it was going D1 the next year. I still can't think of any good reason why it's not allowed. Even looking at these lists, there are plenty of corps that could have done well in World class in recent years. Academy 06 may be the only one that had even the slightest of chances at finals, but I can think of a handful of others (ECJ definitely comes to mind) that could have possibly done some damage in semi's.

Because it's their party. And Open Class is not invited.

I loved the ECJ/Spartans 05, and Spartans 07 shows to name a few. i would not even think of putting Magic in this group, because they were a Division I corps competing in DII ONLY because of a DCI rule that made them "work" by competing in DII before they were alowed to move up to DI (and make DI finals after all....) It was purely a financial issue. Magic had financial troubles and had to sit out a year. Then, when they come back, they have to prove themselves first before they can move in a take performance fees from DI shows.

They were DI. Plain and simple.....(and I loved them, just would not put them in this DII "Best list...)

Mike

Spartans 87

The Foundation Year

They were DI. Plain and simple.....(and I loved them, just would not put them in this DII "Best list...)

Mike

Spartans 87

The Foundation Year

Now here's something, how exactly was a Div 2 defined? Unless I am mistaken, they had the exact same membership cap as Div 1. Div 3 had between 30 and 60 (with the "overlap" implemented later), but Div 2 had no limit. I'm pretty sure the paragraph on DCI's website had Div 2 listed as corps who perform "primarily on weekends" with a shorter tour.

- Were Div 2 corps forbade from a spring training?

- Were Div 2 corps forced to stay local until 1 week before Finals week?

- Were Div 2 corps meant to remain feeder corps for Div 1 and never evolve?

I say the answer to the above questions is "no, we just made them that way."

While we all pretty much "know" Magic '02 was a fluke in the rules based on an archaic "induction" into Div 1, it made me question why Div 2 wasn't more like that anyway. Thus, I stand by what I said before.

--------------------------

Keeping with the topic, I've done more thinking and am gonna state that:

- ECJ '04 was the best Div 2/3 Jazz show I've ever seen. Waaaay better than '98 (sorry mr. rappa, you know you were the man anyway)

- Spartans '99 was very powerful and moving, though most people only have access to the Finals performance...real rough (like '98 and '04).

- Marion Glory Cadets '03...wow...this show had a lot going for it and that drumline was awesome. Not too many people know of it, my favorite Div 3 show.

You mention that Div II corps had the same size rules as Div I, and this is true. However, not until recently did we have multiple corps that were THAT big. I mean, in 1998 there was Tarheel Sun. In the early 2000s there was Capital Regiment and Cascades. Recently, there has been Surf, Teal Sound, and Oregon Crusaders in different years. Most of us had fairly small corps compared to the Div I corps.

As far as 2004 ECJ being better then 1998, I am biased because it was my rookie year with the corps, but I'm going to agree. That was by far the best summer of my life. Although I will say this, the soloist in 2004 was not nearly as good as the one in 1998, and never will be. :worthy:

I'm a firm believer in Viva La Difference... between open and world

My association with these 3 corps in the past - I hope will give credance to what I say... at one time or another - I was with all 3

Magic - yup... it was a fluke of the rules... best world class corps ever to compete in open class

Seattle Cascades - yup... may very well be the best REAL Div II corps

Patriots - the original poster talked about "all around" corps in Div II. The 1999 Patriots won and won big based on the best show with the best performers... but - they were Div II size... full and wonderful color guard but small horn line and a solid percussion line. Having been close to the other 2 corps that seem to be getting the most mention - my vote has to go to patriots.... they found out how to entertain, use the sheets to the max and get a great score without 64 horns (actually they had HALF that number) - their staff got the most out of each performer...

Edited by TomPeashey