Food Donation

Thanks again....:)

Keep those ideas coming... they are great!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could always do a granola type bar. Go to Costco/Sam's and buy a variety and they can use them as part of breakfast/snack or just plain...a member/staff/volunteer/driver walks on the food truck and says..what do you have to eat...i'm hungry!

If you made a bunch and I mean a bunch of spaghetti sauce with meatballs and brought that and some bread that would be a hit! That way all the food truck would have to do would make the pasta and salad. This is something I would coordinate with the corps ahead of time.

Jars of Fluff!

I worked the food truck a couple years ago and someone stopped by the housing site with a bunch of those little wooden crates of clementines. I thought that was a great idea! Fresh fruit that doesn't need to be cut by an already overworked kitchen staff and is very easily stored. Kids can take one with them and save to eat later too. Perfect for any time of the day.

What was really awesome was the woman who donated the clementines had no affiliation with the corp. She simply heard the music each day as she lived nearby and decided to donate in appreciation. That was refreshing since neighbors close to practice sites sometimes complain to local authorities about the "noise."

I am the food rep for the Scouts. I think a great item would chicken breasts. The Scouts go through a TON of chicken. The nice thing about chicken is they can use it for many things. Salads, sandwiches, mexican...etc. Its nutritious, relatively inexpensive and low in fat. Also, it really depends on your budget. Fruit can be very pricey so keep that in mind. I also like the idea of others about spaghetti and meatballs. You can buy some very good canned marinara sauces that required little labor. The spaghetti is dirt cheap and easy to make as well. That and some garlic bread and you have a meal EVERYONE would like.

Very nice gesture, have fun and good luck.

Do a regional flavor. If you're in Mississippi, do Gumbo. If you're in Philly, do make your own cheesesteak or something like that.

Make it memorable for the members.

"Do you remember when those random nice people brought like a THOUSAND pounds of Spaghetti, They put a lot of time and effort into it, it was amazing!"

Something like that.

For several years when the corps come into central Ohio my wife and I have picked a corps to treat to a local favorite around here...Velvet Ice Cream. I make arrangements with the corps in advance to let them know so they can plan it as part of their lunch, dinner or after show snack.

I borrow several coolers then make arrangements with Velvet to stop by and pick up a couple hundred of the individual 4oz cups. I also pick up a few boxes of plastic spoons.

One year when treating the Scouts to ice cream I was actually able to get a flavor called SUPERMAN.

One year we also treated a corps to fresh donuts for their breakfast meal. That's actually easier to do than the ice cream.

Last year, while attending an out of state show, we picked up 20 bags of apples and oranges and 20 boxes of fudge brownies for one of the corps. It was actually quite fun to go through the line at the store. I told the girl at the register that my wife had me on a new diet. She started laughing and actually called some of the other employees over to see the 2 carts filled with the "fruit and brownies diet."

The kids have always appreciated it.

My wife and I would like to donate some food items to our fav corps in July when they come to our area.

I need suggestions on what would be good to take to their food truck the day before the show.

Thanks for any help...:)

Bananas! We took some to a show recently and they were a great hit with the kids. Also, Gatorade. They love that!

I am the food rep for the Scouts. I think a great item would chicken breasts. The Scouts go through a TON of chicken. The nice thing about chicken is they can use it for many things. Salads, sandwiches, mexican...etc. Its nutritious, relatively inexpensive and low in fat. Also, it really depends on your budget. Fruit can be very pricey so keep that in mind. I also like the idea of others about spaghetti and meatballs. You can buy some very good canned marinara sauces that required little labor. The spaghetti is dirt cheap and easy to make as well. That and some garlic bread and you have a meal EVERYONE would like.

Very nice gesture, have fun and good luck.

How much product would it take to provide spaghetti and meatballs to a corps like the Scouts? How much pasta, how many cans of sauce (brand?), how much garlic bread, and how much meat for meatballs? Also, just wondering if there are Vons stores or similar near where the Scouts will be housed that could deliver all this. We have the store delivery services in CA, but not sure about other states. Sounds like it would be a fun project, even if we were to handle it from a non-local standpoint.

Fruit! Cartons of fruit- whatever you can get that doesn't require slicing.

Or watermelon if you can arrive at 8am with a carload of them & then cut them yourself at the site.

Email the corps before you do anything though! Find out what is the best thing for them at the point in tour that you will see them.

Quote Drumcorpsfan471 "Fresh fruit is a good one. I think cereal is also a good choice. We used to go through cereal like crazy".

Yeah, and along with Cereal goes "milk", and lots of it to boot. OH! and maybe some BIG packets of Drink mix. My favorite is Red... Did I also mention Ice? :biggrin:

Edited by MsBusDriver