Spectacular! Spectacular!

:worthy: If they weren't judging the line up then what were they judging?

they were judging the marcher:hot or not

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cap Reg is in Open class

Hence the ROFL. I'm quite aware that CR is in open class. Refer to my credentials and avatar!

I was there when CR debuted in Pittsburgh. Looks like the show is doing well!

Hence the ROFL. I'm quite aware that CR is in open class. Refer to my credentials and avatar!

I was there when CR debuted in Pittsburgh. Looks like the show is doing well!

Speaking of Cap Reg, that they are out there at all is a testament to someones hard work. They could have easily gone away forever.

As has been the case for several seasons, the 10-17 race has been incredibly fun to watch. This year seems to be no different and last night's show in Milwaukee shows us that not only is his race gonna be fun, but that some real surprises could be unfolding. I am specifically talking about Spirit. I thought they clearly deserved the win and feel their potential is scary good. Though Madison had more punch in places and Colts were the cleanest of the three by far, Spirit' show is new, unique, exciting (very exciting), and has tons of depth for scoring well in all captions, especially those captions that many of us tend to easily over look, visual ensemble and visual GE (beyond just having a few big moves). Their visual book is so intricate and chock full of variety and intrigue, that cleaning should continue to shoot those captions up toward box 5, even over some of the top 8 groups from last season. My art training has me always looking for depth of visual construction (it is almost a disease) and this show has it in spades. Congrats Spirit. Well done.

I was at the Spectacle tonight and was a bit surprised since I had Scouts up a point or two over Spirit and Colts. Obviously I cant negate my own bias but Scouts hornlime came out sounding much more full and mature and they played hard stuff when they were moving. Colts has a great line but not the most complimentary show for it and most of their hardest stuff is played while standing still. I just got back from a vacation at DisneyWorld and Spirits microphone heavy start is very reminiscent of that.

Although the bass and keyboard didnt make me completely bonkers.

Colts do have a great line and they do stand still a lot at the big moments.

1. The Colts jazz ran many of their impacts last year and weren't being recognized and awarded for the difficulty. This year they have decided to start simple.

2. Drill is in the process of becoming more demanding and effective without going too extreme like in 08.

I think overall Colts and Spirit have a much more mature sounding hornline. Both corps have a better and darker quality of sound in comparison to Scouts who often sacrifice tone for volume. Colts lack some volume in some impact moments of the show because the drill is so spread out (the ballad in particular), which is definitely a downfall of the drill.

Edited by Matt_S

I think overall Colts and Spirit have a much more mature sounding hornline. Both corps have a better and darker quality of sound in comparison to Scouts who often sacrifice tone for volume.

You can't really say anything intelligent about "tone" unless you take into account key, register, and voicing. for example, Scouts generally write their trumpet parts in brighter keys to give the music a more "latin" feel. A darker tone quality may not be what they are trying to achieve. You can get a more "mature" sound just by writing in lower keys. But that does not always suite the style of music.

Ok...scores/placements aside, my friend dmfootworks who was at the show last night, told me that the Scouts'

sash has been altered, and is now form-fitted to the jacket and looks alot cleaner.

Anyone who was also at the show want to comment on that? What were your impressions?

You can't really say anything intelligent about "tone" unless you take into account key, register, and voicing. for example, Scouts generally write their trumpet parts in brighter keys to give the music a more "latin" feel. A darker tone quality may not be what they are trying to achieve. You can get a more "mature" sound just by writing in lower keys. But that does not always suite the style of music.

I agree with you. I should have been more detailed. I was also taking into consideration that Colts and Spirit have a much better blend. The sound is consistent. Madison has a lot of individual sounds sticking out from the rest of the ensemble. Overall Madison's hornline just isn't as clean as Colts or Spirit. They may sound more exciting, but that also depends on a person's taste or their individual bias towards a particular corps.

Good points, but do you know what keys each of the corps play in this year? I checked them out, and they are very similar across the board. I agree that color of sound is not better either way, but I think with all things consistent, the fact that the sound quality and blend is seemingly more mature from Spirit and Colts says two things: either talent level is higher or better instruction at this point of the season.

I also noticed the poster mentioned Scouts forcing and overblowing a bit. That for sure will give an impression of a brighter sound and more controlled often comes across as darker. Cavies don't necessarily play dark based on key, but their control gives that impression alot of the time. I personally think of a corps like Phantom as brighter but fuller, not dark. And their keys are written brighter at times as JD keeps original keys often, even if they are more difficult for the corps to play, because the emotional connection of the original stays intact.

The keys and registers do make a huge difference and I am looking forward to hearing all 3 to make my own opinions later on in the season. :worthy:

Edited by trumpetcam

Ok...scores/placements aside, my friend dmfootworks who was at the show last night, told me that the Scouts'

sash has been altered, and is now form-fitted to the jacket and looks alot cleaner.

Anyone who was also at the show want to comment on that? What were your impressions?

It does appear that it is better fit now. I thought they had changed the color as well to a more subdued red, but Scouts staff told me it was simply looking different under the lights compared to the direct sunlight of East Troy..

photos