A solution?

I thoroughly enjoy the "DCA schedule" thread. This is all VERY helpful knowledge. With this new thread, I want to propose a remedy. It's not perfect, not original, but certainly worthy of further thought and discussion. If any of it makes sense, it will be at least next year until it is attempted by a sponsor.

I propose sponsors (like Amy) and the participating corps, consider staging TWO (2) shows on the same day. One at, say 2pm, the other at 8pm.

There are several plus and minus factors but maybe, in the end, our beloved activity can benefit. Here's the deal for each component:

For the corps-

Two paying shows on one bus bill.

Less practice time but, that "disadvantage" is on ALL competitors.

For the sponsor-

Two chances to attract an audience (if anyone has a standing obligation elsewhere that night, they can attend the day show).

Twice the number of "prime" seats. Seats that satisfy, and generate new fans.

Same advertising budget.

Almost the same volunteer requirements.

Minimal addition facility expense.

Chance that media coverage during the day show aids in sales for the night show.

For the fans-

Flexibility.

Chance to see your favorite corps twice the same day in competitive form.

One travel bill, two shows.

One day show, plus one night show under the lights (there IS a difference).

BOTH shows are rain or shine, even if both become concerts.

Any thoughts?

Note to Liz: pardon all typos, etc.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about a saturday/sunday combo as opposed to 2 in one day? especially if the shows are within reasonable driving distance?

true on the bills. however, given how anal stadium people can be about the field, they may not allow that much on the field in one day that isnt a sport. cause you know, those darned marching shoes do so much more damage than cleats

Note to Liz: pardon all typos, etc.

What? We're not time traveling anymore? :sad:

And here I was looking for more fun trips today. :biggrin:

I love the idea and think it is a good one. BUT will the corps complain for losing valuable practice time by having 2 shows in one day?

uh i can answer that Liz.

yes

I feel like something similar to two day show happened in Georgia last year. There were two shows 1 hour apart that happened on Saturday, then the other on Sunday. On show was full, but the Sunday show was not. I think a lot of this had to do with the fact that many people didn't feel like seeing the same shows one day later (when they most likely weren't going to be any better).

here's a serious question:

excluding prelims, do day shows usually draw as well as night shows?

I feel like something similar to two day show happened in Georgia last year. There were two shows 1 hour apart that happened on Saturday, then the other on Sunday. On show was full, but the Sunday show was not. I think a lot of this had to do with the fact that many people didn't feel like seeing the same shows one day later (when they most likely weren't going to be any better).

A pity, too, cause I know Sun Devils were MUCH better in Alpharetta than we were in Douglasville.