"No thanks, I won't be staying long..."

Sorry to quibble but I get 76% of the titles for BD, Cav & Cadets. But the real reason for the reply is to ask you why you think that a 2nd or 3rd place 2009 Crown would not be a strong contender for a title in 2010 or 11?

Because of" the law of large numbers". If Crown, lets say, comes in 2nd this year, I think it's entirely possible that it will motivate the staffs of Phantom Regiment, Cadets, Cavs, BD (whoever comes in 3rd )to become motivated beyond belief to prepare in the off season a program and a talent level that will overtake Crown. Four Corps will not be successful in such a quest, maybe not even 2 of these 4 Corps. But I believe that if Crown comes in 2nd this year, that one of these 4 Corps will return with a powerhouse Corps in 2010 to thwart Crown. I could be wrong, but it appears to me that The Cadets seem to have a bit of a younger Corps this year age wise. And Phantom Regiment does not seem to have the veteran experience in their ranks as they did with last year's Championship winning Corps. And I'm pretty certain that the Cavs are going to retool staff and member talent should they uncharacteristically fall out of the top 3 or 4. In addition, SCV and Boston have new management at the top of their Corps that seem to have found some of the magic that could propel them forward next year as well. And good grief, Crown has to actually beat BD once to be considered a future contender for next year.

Some of this hype for Crown reminds me of the time not that long ago when the Bluecoats beat the Blue Devils early in the season,... around this time actually. I'm not saying that Crown can't or won't ultimately win this year. They certainly appear here on the 4th of July weekend to be a legitimate contender. But right now, the Scores are in the low 80's. The Corps that finish in the top 3 are all going to have scores come Finals over 95. And we don't even have a Color Guard judge judging yet. And from what I've seen ov video and in person, the Blue Devils seem to have a large and phenomenal Guard this year that is proficient in both dance and equipment utilization. Once we come out of Allentown, we should have a better idea of what's what with ALL these Corps, Crown included. That's all that I'm saying.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Troopers: Didn't march at all in 2006, then along came Fred Morris, the director. New staff, uniforms, horns, drums, transportation, etc. Placed 20th in 2007, 16th last year, and hanging around 12th or so this year. An earlier post

noted that Crown was 16th seven years ago and look at them now. If the current director hangs around a few more

years or someone of his ilk takes over, I could see the Troop breaking into to the top 5 and then who knows....

Troopers: Didn't march at all in 2006, then along came Fred Morris, the director. New staff, uniforms, horns, drums, transportation, etc. Placed 20th in 2007, 16th last year, and hanging around 12th or so this year. An earlier post

noted that Crown was 16th seven years ago and look at them now. If the current director hangs around a few more

years or someone of his ilk takes over, I could see the Troop breaking into to the top 5 and then who knows....

I think Troopers do have one thing going against them:

Casper, Wyoming.

It isn't exactly a hotbed of musician talent. And while South Carolina may not be either, you have a LOT of such hotbeds within easy drive of there (and the quality of the high school programs in the area is much higher than in Wyoming).

I'd say Troopers are the least likely to make the top five again because of this. 4 hours to Denver, 8 hours to Salt Lake....

I will say this, though: If they DO make it back into the top five, then....WOW. I will be rooting hard for them, because that will be an impressive feat.

I see alot of numbers and statistics and arguments over financial solvency and back office strength. That's all fine and good and I'll admit, I'm a numbers guy myself. So what does it really come down to?

Heart, self brainwashing, clicking finals week during silent rehearsals that are so relaxed you can constantly hear pins drop with smiles on every face and a confidence that could pierce titanium. It's an eerie feeling when you know you're that good and the staff has nothing to say other than "again".

So what will happen or what do I want to see win from one of these two programs? I think Crown has the best shot. If they win this year, I'll be happy for them but not with the program. I feel they have stepped away from what has made them great the past 3 years. Some sacrifices have been made in order to get a little high.

I just want to see them win with a show that will never be forgotten, and right now, Crowns show will be forgettable as time marches on. It doesn't suck you in like most championship shows do. It lacks a flow that their past shows have definitely had and I miss that. Love Crown to death and I'm a major honk, I'm just not digging the show yet.

Coats have been a longtime darling, but I think they've lost a step. The uniform change has hurt them visually from up top. The drill design is still written to their old look (which worked tremendously well), but the new darker look doesn't show up and they look small. The brass has had a turnover even though the talented staff is squeezing everything they can out of the members. The development of their shows takes a bit longer and unlike SCV the product is obviously unfinished until finals. SCV looks great and has a wonderful show even though it is missing all the layers thus far.

If anything, I look to SCV to be the dark horse this year. If that show is finished properly - This show will never be forgotten. And that's the point isn't it?

I think Troopers do have one thing going against them:

Casper, Wyoming.

It isn't exactly a hotbed of musician talent. And while South Carolina may not be either, you have a LOT of such hotbeds within easy drive of there (and the quality of the high school programs in the area is much higher than in Wyoming).

I'd say Troopers are the least likely to make the top five again because of this. 4 hours to Denver, 8 hours to Salt Lake....

I will say this, though: If they DO make it back into the top five, then....WOW. I will be rooting hard for them, because that will be an impressive feat.

I understand Casper is not exactly the center of the universe. However, they have audition camps in Texas, Tennessee, and Indiana. Also, Colorado is "just down the road" and has some excellent H.S. talent as well as C.S.U. in Ft Collins and

C.U. in Boulder. (The Blue Knights out of Denver also get their pickings too). Last year the Troopers had (5) kids from Japan! Back in the 1970's, a lot of kids were in fact from Wyoming, but at that time, corps took in younger kids instructed and nurtured them along into their late teens. Nowadays, it's akin to college football. Older kids go from corps to corps

to try and get that ring. Not saying that's bad, it's just different from years ago and makes recruting kids a lot more

difficult if your not a top five, top ten, or top twelve corps. But, as we've seen with Crown, it can be done! Plus, the winters in Casper are balmy, the summers are cool, and the wind NEVER blows......Uhhh, not!

Edited by COUGAR

I understand Casper is not exactly the center of the universe. However, they have audition camps in Texas, Tennessee, and Indiana. Also, Colorado is "just down the road" and has some excellent H.S. talent as well as C.S.U. in Ft Collins and

C.U. in Boulder. (The Blue Knights out of Denver also get their pickings too). Last year the Troopers had (5) kids from Japan! Back in the 1970's, a lot of kids were in fact from Wyoming, but at that time, corps took in younger kids instructed and nurtured them along into their late teens. Nowadays, it's akin to college football. Older kids go from corps to corps

to try and get that ring. Not saying that's bad, it's just different from years ago and makes recruting kids a lot more

difficult if your not a top five, top ten, or top twelve corps. But, as we've seen with Crown, it can be done! Plus, the winters in Casper are balmy, the summers are cool, and the wind NEVER blows......Uhhh, not!

I did not know they had camps in other states. That obviously changes my opinion, and is a terrific idea for them. More corps who have trouble filling out rosters should follow that model (which I know was not started by Troopers....I think Boston was the first corps to do this?).

My apologies.

Although they have audition camps in texas, the majority of camps are still in casper correct? Kids still have to consider that when considering where to march. La Crosse, WI has similar issues, being a few hours from any major airport. The corps has in recent years rehearsed in indianapolis, and prior to this, in minneapolis, giving much easier access to the corps. The hard part for the troopers has to be, where they could have other camps in a reasonable distance. One would think denver would be an ideal place to hold camps, other than that its BK's home turf. Hold everydays up in WY if you want to.

I am wearing out my DVD from replaying the opening few minutes of the Triple Crown show. That first hit in the opener has almost destroyed my audio system more than once. In fact, I was running the show through my car audio system while waiting for my daughter to come out from dance rehearsal recently. She was upset with me because apparently the whole class could hear the show inside the building from the parking lot. She's 15, so I'm sure this won't be the last time I embarass her.

LOL :thumbup: - BaHahahahahha :smile: Now that's funny right there!!!

I did not know they had camps in other states. That obviously changes my opinion, and is a terrific idea for them. More corps who have trouble filling out rosters should follow that model (which I know was not started by Troopers....I think Boston was the first corps to do this?).

My apologies.

No need for apologies. Someone posted after me clarifying that the Troopers have most of their camps in Wyoming (Casper, Laramie, or Cheyenne). That is absolutely true. It's the attempt to recruit nationwide that is of immeasurable benefit. I think Nov. and Dec. are the auditons in other states, and Jan thru May, all of their camps are in Wyoming. They did try (2) camps this year in the Denver area, but one was cancelled due to snow. I don't know if other corps are quite as isolated (i.e. distance from a major travel hub) as the Troopers are, but that's where they started and probably will always remain. As for Boston being the 1st to recruit outside their area, I have no idea. I'm thinking the upper echelon of corps these days don't have to recruit too hars, but I could be wrong.

Nothing says you cant remain in an area and rehearse elsewhere. lets face it, even with camps in wy, most members probably see squat of casper, theyre probably holed up in the school most of the time theyre there. As long as they spend some time in WY in pre-tour, offseason rehearsals in denver would probably help their recruiting more.