WHO has the most room to GROW

Phantom always comes on hard the last part of July through August- how on earth is everyone counting them out of a top 3 finish?

Cadets have a very difficult book and are attempting a lot- it's 'classic' drum corps, no talking, no singing or beat-boxing... seems like lots of room to grow- you know Hop works those kids harder than any other corps out there (that's coming from an alum of another corps.. it's just common knowledge) and they can clean with the best of them...

honorable mention to Bluecoats- not saying they are top 3 or going for a ring or anything- but I've seen several prediction polls with them NOT in the top 7... are you serious? Have you actually seen the show?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

whoever is in last place has the most room. will it happen no.

I think you are answering the question "who has the biggest point difference between their current score and 100"... which wasn't what I was asking

I'm talking about who is going to surge late because of the high potential in their show that perhaps doesn't come out until later in the season (i.e. phantom several years in recent memory- would be a correct answer to that question)

hey, i think pioneer is going surge all the way to finals :worthy::cool:

but in all serious, my vote is phantom to surge late, may be slightly biased :worthy: but they have done it alot in the past years :smile::cool:

i also think bluecoats have a great chance to move up :smile:

HNC and cavies both have lots of room to grow too :smile: should be an intense finals night :cool:

Cavaliers. People are bashing them now but from what that guy mentioned about them adding louder louds and new visuals I think they will continually grow in scores once they keep building up their show towards finals. Dunno if it'll be championship worthy but I'm quite confident once it's done that it'll be able to compete with crown or BD.

If we're strictly talking top 7 ... wow

All of them.

Crown came in more prepared, but they're not even closed to being done.

Blue Devils ..... they've reloaded. Right where they want to be. Nuff said.

SCV is going to scare the crap out of everyone come finals week. Check my review in their Official Thread.

Cadets are diiirrrrrrrrrrrrrty and they know it. I think they will grow more by hosing than any other contributing factor. (Barring some huge rewrites to the unusually sub par brass book this year ... sorry just not convinced this will get fixed in time with the short season)

Phantom, because of their lighter than normal schedule I haven't had the privilege of viewing their product yet. Hence, I can not yet comment on their current situation but they need to start knocking on the door very quickly.

Blue Coats have a nice show. I'm still having problems with clarity up top on the visual due to their uniform design. I truly think this will continue to hold them back no matter how good they get.

Cavies seem a bit off to me this year and on par with last year heading down the stretch. I had them 5th last year and think that's where they'll actually land this year knotted up with Bluecoats and Phantom. Maybe it was "Competitive Inertia" that got them 3rd last year :worthy:

Cadets are diiirrrrrrrrrrrrrty and they know it. I think they will grow more by hosing than any other contributing factor. (Barring some huge rewrites to the unusually sub par brass book this year ... sorry just not convinced this will get fixed in time with the short season)

And this isn't necessarily for HNC, but everyone who's in contention has massive rewrites. The thing that then comes into play is the maturity and talent of the members and staff. And while the upper-tier corps may attract more well-rounded performers, it really depends on the corps chemistry and consistency. Its just that some corps' are better with acclimating to changes than others.

So is it possible for anybody to break the impenetrable 7? Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Boston?

And this isn't necessarily for HNC, but everyone who's in contention has massive rewrites. The thing that then comes into play is the maturity and talent of the members and staff. And while the upper-tier corps may attract more well-rounded performers, it really depends on the corps chemistry and consistency. Its just that some corps' are better with acclimating to changes than others.

Saw this coming a mile away. Ok I'll write the 3 page response for every corps that brought me to my conclusions right here and now. Ok maybe not :worthy: so I'll be somewhat brief and compare points between some of the top corps directly with Cadets.

1. Cadets have a harder show than most and are dirtier than most because of the demand

2. Cadets Lose steam 2/3 of the way through the show and don't regain it until the final push. No other corps is having stamina issues at this point in the season comparatively.

3. There is NEVER a doubt in my mind that Cadets members can and will perform the #### out of what they are given to perform

4. I think the vehicle they have been assigned to perform has more problems ( at this point ) than any of the top 7 corps.

4a) Due to the way the music was cut and edited at inception, there are probably 5 times more transitions in this show than anyone else and 5 times more than there should be.

4b) "A Boy Like That" is probably in the wrong key or register to be pulled off. Either that or the choice of instruments for voicing isn't working ... or maybe all of the above.

4c) Staging of Bari's and the writing of their book makes them virtually inaudible on the field at this point in the season. That's a BIG problem, especially since I witnessed live and in person my face melting during their sectionals in Ypsi. By themselves, awesome. On the field with all contributing factors .... not even noticable and the cause of a topheavy hornline.

Point 4's laundry list can go on for a while ... but I'm stopping there. These are problems I'm not seeing with any of the other contenders. This isn't a membership issue because I know they're about two weeks away from being in top shape physically. What's being exposed are design flaws. Some big ones .. and lots of little tiny ones that add up to BIG ONES.

I have faith the staff will make every effort to fix as much as humanly possible and still give the members time to perfect it. I have faith the performers will tear up whatever is put in front of them. I have faith that the season ends in 35 days ......... yah! :worthy:

While Maturity, Talent, Consistency and Chemistry are all VERY important factors in a drumcorps season, they don't fix design flaws. Flaws can be fixed but the clock is ticking. As of right now .... that's how I see it. Let's see what they do between now and SA ... then we can talk about me eating my words (which I'll happily do if they can get this show right on the design end).

Oh wait .. there's more.

Massive rewrites for everyone? Nuh uh.

BD needs tweaks (even though I would prefer some massive rewrites)

Crown needs one good rewrite in the opener

SCV needs 84 seconds or so worth of attention (again see SCV Official Thread for details)

Cavies .. I always expect Massive Rewrites

Phantom ... DITTO

Blue Coats .... yup lots but that's why I have them down around 7th.