Spirit's Scores going down?

Thanks but to tell the whole truth it's 8 seasons Sr and 6 doing the parade/stand still bit. And after 6 in a row of doing Sr (while in HS and college) the burnout was evident.

And living within 10 miles of the Sr corps practice facilities had a LOT to do with being able to do the competative bit all those years. (And within 40 of the parade corps).

Still very impressive.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, you may be correct that they had 10 tubas at a few shows in June--I'm not sure.

I didn't trust my memory either. Turns out the Fan Network on-demand videos from 2008 are still online, including Spirit on June 28th.

Last year at the Spirit winter camps, there were times when they only had 3 or 4. By alldays they had at least 7 solid commitments, but they were going for 12(I think we may have ended up with 11).

Yeah, I think you're right. The 2008 Allentown video is also online, and it shows 11 tubas marching.

Cainan???? Why you be dissin???...Just sayin!.......

How are ya man?....good point, but I don't know that it was necessarily the issue of kids going somewhere else and not buying into the program. There are a number of things hitting the general area where Spirit is out of (Al, GA, TN) besides the economy. It's tougher everywhere for kids to march, but a kid who I went to church with told me that the dues to march were close to $3,000. I don't know if that was true, but I paid $750 in 1989 & 1990. In the Freelancers, 1985, it was $250, then $450 after that.... Having said that, I'm sure it costs almost the same everywhere else.....

See ya man...take care...

Pat... I've got nothing but love for you and Spirit. I was just trying to add a different angle to things. I know as a low brass player, I would seriously wonder why I bothered if a bass guitar was jut gonna mirror my parts and drown me out. I think this could have very well been an issue.

I think they only wrote the drill for 10 contras because of the low numbers in the winter. They must have figured 10 would be a good goal.

Shhhhhhhh, those were the truck drivers... they like the big "hats" :tongue:

Jim, that's pretty **** funny!

Cainan, got nothing but love for ya man....I'm really glad to see you on Facebook and here, and I see your point. Come over to the states and we'll hit the Atlanta show together....

Okay, thanks to audiob I went back to the fan network and watched Spirit from 02 to 09 and with the exception of two years the standard contraline was 10. Last year, they had 11--tried for 12 but only 11. So, I would like to give a shout out to those 10 member contralines for providing all that bottom when compared to corps marching 12 and 14, and even some that marched 16. :tongue:

Edited by SpiritofAtlanta99