Fan Network Rant

I would agree with that. I haven't had any problems with the live streams yet, but the quality is very noticeably inferior to even last year.

I would guess that DCI is having a bit of a money crunch due to the economy (aren't we all), and have had to cut back a little bit in regards to the Fan Network.

A bad economy could be blamed for fewer DCI staffers and a slower turn around in getting the VOD's posted, but it surely doesn't necessitate 16kbps audio...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a side note : Most people have asyncrhonized internet connections, meaning that the download speed is much faster than the upload speed, simply because we generally do more downloading than uploading. Synschronized connections are used mostly by gamers who need faster upload speeds to play interactivly in real time. The trade off is a slower download speed.

I can understand where people are sad about the audio rate, but if you're trying to convert people based off of a high-cam video in June then you're doing it wrong. The point of the Fan Network is to allow the fans to follow the development of the shows over the summer, not provide cheap alternatives for the CD/DVD offerings. I have no problem with the audio quality of the productions so far, but then again I'm not an audiophile. (In fact, audiophile whining is a sure way to lose my support for your cause.) I want to SEE the shows. If I want a high-quality recording mid-season, I'll buy the APD.

If you want quality audio BUY THE APD and SUPPORT THE CORPS!

As for Madison not having a show... it's called rainouts, and Madison could post their own performance video to the site.

Edited by Pinwiz

If you want quality audio BUY THE APD and SUPPORT THE CORPS!

If you want high quality audio, pay for something else, when you're already having issues with the thing you paid a lot more for?

What I'm about to write is NOT from me and it does not make one lick of sense to me, but the guy who does all the computer stuff told me this in the rec room last night when I showed him the quality of videos. I just wrote it down so I could pass it on to you.

This is particularly about the live videos FanNetwork does. Here goes:

The problem with low quality isn't bandwidth so much as server capacity. (he then asked me if I knew how many people watched any given show and I said, 'I don't know. Maybe 1,000? maybe 3,000?). Anyhow, he then said that DCI could use something like one of Amazon's services. You tell Amazon that you want to use their servers and make 500 instances of a particular server for a particular amount of time. Amazon charges rental essentially for their servers.

Apparently each instance (computer) cost between 10 cents and 80 cents per hour, and data transfer is around $170 per 1,000 Gigabytes.

Basically you set up a dedicated server that is always on and then little "drones" that get created as needed.

He said that he knows of a place that does this and the quality of the stream is almost HD quality.

He told me that the only hurdle would be setting it up but once it's set up, then it's a breeze and you have virtually unlimited server capacity at your disposal.

So for all of you smart computer type people, does that make any sense?

Oops. Here is the link he gave me: http://aws.amazon.com/

I'm mad at the fact that I can no longer watch the old shows anymore. Now I have to purchase them to watch them.

When I renewed for $59, I thought I was going to get that service again. I was really looking forward to it. But then when I go and try to watch a show from 1995, all I get is audio options or that I can purchase the VPD. Lame...

And of course they are not going to have the finals performance from last year. Only the on demand shows that I've watched a million times lol.

I'm mad at the fact that I can no longer watch the old shows anymore. Now I have to purchase them to watch them.

When I renewed for $59, I thought I was going to get that service again. I was really looking forward to it. But then when I go and try to watch a show from 1995, all I get is audio options or that I can purchase the VPD. Lame...

And of course they are not going to have the finals performance from last year. Only the on demand shows that I've watched a million times lol.

I'm thinking you need to update some supporting software for your browser. Got the latest Java? Quicktime? all that good stuff?

I can pull it up with Past performances in video .. paid the same as you .. and it works on Firefox and IExplorer

I just checked.. all the 1995 videos are on there.