Searching for a Mello in 'G' ....

Tapper7

What brand do you want?

I don't have a whole lot of familiarity with brands, so I really don't know what's the "best" sounding horn. It would just be nice to own a 3-valve if I could find one that I could afford.

I've played on a 3-valve Dynasty and I'm currently playing a 2-valve King with Shenandoah.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a whole lot of familiarity with brands, so I really don't know what's the "best" sounding horn. It would just be nice to own a 3-valve if I could find one that I could afford.

I've played on a 3-valve Dynasty and I'm currently playing a 2-valve King with Shenandoah.

In G you don't have much choice for 3V's. Kanstul and Dynasty. Don't sell that 2V King short.

• 2 months later...

Special thanks to Traveler - BD Alum (and marching buddy from 2004) who has located the mello I've been looking for.

And thanks to everyone on DCP for the help, advice, suggestion etc ...

You DO realize that your plan will send chills down the spine of a few K-50 drivers....

Yah ! You did that !!!!!!!!!!

Mike D.

Please note:

I AM still looking for a Kanstul mellophone in G.

Hopefully in good condition.

If anyone has one available please PM me or post here.

I put this search on hold because I'm still poor, but my Mom wanted to get

me one for my 30th birthday (which was about 2 weeks ago)

and obviously that didnt work out.

So if you got the horn I'm looking for hit me up.

The search is on again!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks but I'm not interested in buying a Dynasty.

If anyone has a 3v Kanstul mellophone in G pleeeasse!!! PM me!

I hate to say this the individual who was supposed to sell me his has disappeared

(~4 unanswered emails and 2 unanswred PM's)

My mom is acttually considering asking the factory to build a custom one, but I hate to see her spend that kind of $$$ - they dont do production runs of G bugles anymore, so it would be custom and would run $1200,

$1000 at best.

If anyone can help please PM me or post thanx

Don't count the DEGs out. They're a respectable horn. The Kanstul has the better build and tone, but the degs are very serviceable. It is a mello, so it's kind of a mutt horn anyway. You're more likely to play in a line of DEGs than Kanstuls. But only because of the financing side of things. And no one wants to sell their Kanstuls.

You can still buy them new if push comes to shove. Switch from soda/bottled water to tap water, from McDs to cup-o-soup and in six months you should have the funds for a new one. Or just go for the 50lbs bags of rice and bags of potatoes. Lots of ways to eak out enough means for a horn. Got a lot of clutter, old game boys and such put them up on junk bay, err eBay. Or craigslist. Where there is a will, there is a way. Got a half dozen trombones you're not using, sell them. The money that you save on a Uhaul the next time that you move will pay for the horn.