Early season peak

By definition, a Corps that " has peaked " is a Corps whose scores are either flat lined for the year, or will go down from here on in. I don't see any evidence that ANY Corps is in this mode. Corps are getting feedback on their shows from judges and are engaged in various amounts of changes, rewrites, and so forth. Some Corps ultimately will be seen to have peaked before Indianapolis, while others will hit their stride in Indianapolis. But I just think it's still way to early to know which Corps might peak too soon and which Corps will peak just at the right time which will be in Indianapolis.

One could also say that a corps has peaked in terms of score progression relative to other corps. The score growth rate decreases relative to other nearby corps, scorewise. You can see Cadets and Crown doing that now and I'd say 2004 Cavies/Blue Devils late season is another example.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the topic should be who has the most room to grow between now and August. At the top, I like the Cavaliers chances. I will say again I find their the most interesting of the title contenders. As a someone who grew up on 70s drum corps, I hope Santa Clara finishes strong as well.

A little lower down, I like where the Blue Stars sit. I was in Columbia and was not surprised that Boston beat them this weekend. Boston, to me, is performing their show better than the Blue Stars right now. I think the Blue Stars has the potential for more points in August than Boston's. It is all about cleaning (by the way, I really enjoyed Boston). My guess is Blue Knights are in a similar position as the Blue Stars with a show that has room to greatly improve.

I have not seen enough corps in the 11-17 range to give a well though out opinion on who will finish fast, but I will offer one anyway. Last year, Madison was in bad shape in early July. This year, they are behind, but ahead of 2008. I would be willing to bet the Scouts are the corps closing fast come the first week of August.

I will also say that it looks to be a heck of a fight for what I believe is the final Saturday night spot. I think the top 11 are almost set. I am assuming the top 11 from last year are all in the top 11 in 2009 (different places, but there). There are potentially six or seven corps fighting for the last spot. Realistically, it will probably come down to two or three by the time semi-finals rolls around.

With all being said, this is turning out to be a great year. I think at least nine of last years top 11 corps are improved this year. Corps fighting for the 12th spot, like Madison, Colts, Troopers are better.

If I have not mentioned your corps as one that has improved, take no offense. I am sure everyone is better, I just not have taken the time to watch them on-line or in person.