Is it just me?

I really miss the G lines, as I haven't had a brass line tear my face off with volume since they went away. I've heard many say there was no difference in volume, but I sure heard one, unless I'm just going deaf in my old age... yeah, I really miss the G's!

No, you're not going deaf. The sound of the B-flat lines, even the finest ones, has a tendency to "spread" at fortissimo volumes. The G horns had the ability to project sound with a brilliance and depth that I have never heard in a B-flat line.

A better example of this is the Blue Devils, since the quality of their staff and players has NOT declined, and a great demonstration is their 1999 show (incidentally, the last year they used G horns). At one moment in the show, the horns are moving all the way backfield while playing at full volume--and the entire time there is NO discernible decrease in volume. IT WAS INCREDIBLE. You won't see BD trying this trick with B-flats.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Madison had that great "Madison" sound in 2005 with their Carmen show. It seems like everyone has forgotten that year because all you hear on this forum is how Madison was so great in the 90s and they need to re-capture some of that spirit and "hot" playing that they haven't had for 10 or more years. In my opinion, that 2005 corps, and the arrangements they played, were classic, in your face, "hot latin" Madison. That corps was every bit as good as the 90s ones too... If you remember, there was a time (in early to mid July) where it looked like the Scouts were eyeing a top 3 finish. They were scoring close to the Blue Devils and beating Phantom and Bluecoats up until the Indy show.

Awesome show. Didn't Boerma arrange that one? I think the only one of his shows that I didn't care for, ever, is 2004.

Plus, it's not like the G bugle is dead forever. I'm sure once drum corps becomes so unrecognizable and people miss the art form that used to exist, someone with money will start a new circuit using that instrumentation and start new corps from scratch. It would have to take a concerned, dedicated group of people, much like the original founders of DCI.

Edited by Hrothgar15

to further dispel this line of thought, take phantom regiment for example. they switched to dynasty horns last year, but they still sound like the phantom regiment from 2007 and before. technique, composition, and experience are far larger factors in the way a brass line sounds.

I thought they only switched to dynasty drums and pit equipment last year? It wouldn't make much sense to go King '07, Dynasty '08, then Quantum '09.

They are bands. No bugles. Tubas and trumpets.

exactly

exactly

Technically you could argue that sopranos weren't actually true bugles but just trumpets pitched in G, and just had the "bugle" name honorarily, which we can still apply to today's instruments.

Plus, it's not like the G bugle is dead forever. I'm sure once drum corps becomes so unrecognizable and people miss the art form that used to exist, someone with money will start a new circuit using that instrumentation and start new corps from scratch. It would have to take a concerned, dedicated group of people, much like the original founders of DCI.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. Not coming down on one side or the other of the G horn/multi-key debate, just a practical observation.

peace,

Fred O.

I would also have to agree that losing Scott Boema has hurt Madison's sound. You would also have to say that drill design can hurt too. If the players are either not comfortable with the drill or they are in a position that doesn't allow for a big sound (ex. too spread out), that can hurt. This year's drill design could also be hurting Madison's sound.

They are bands. No bugles. Tubas and trumpets.

And this is WHY drum corps has an identity crisis today. Are we Drum Corps, Marching Musical Ensembles, or BANDS etc? I've noticed that alot of the comments on DCP for awhile now all call out sops as "trumpets" and contras as "tubas" and the corps as "groups", "ensembles" and even (gasp) BANDS. It seems that if you repeat something long enough (even if not true) it becomes truth. I know all about the B flat stance and the fact that we're not playing "bugles" any longer but it's just another nail in the coffin to drum corps "tradition" and the slide to Marching Musical Ensembles International.

Denverjohn,

You marched in three of the best "drum and bugle corps" of all time and I think that your comment was more of dislike of current status than one of clarification. (I hope)

In honor of 73 Kilts...WWBD.