Who are the legendary corps still in existance? that still compete in

What makes a corps "legendary" is debatable.

DCI founding corps in 1972:

Blue Stars

Cavaliers

Madison Scouts

Phantom Regiment

Santa Clara Vanguard

Troopers

Corps that came into the DCI fold during the 1970's

Blue Devils

Bluecoats

Blue Knights

Boston Crusaders

Colts

Crossmen

Holy Name Cadets (Garfield Cadets, Cadets of Bergen County, The Cadets)

Seattle Cascades

Spirit (Spirit of Atlanta)

Corps that came around in the 80's or early 90's:

Carolina Crown

Glassmen

Jersey Surf

Mandarins

Newest corps from the late 90's till now:

The Academy

Pacific Crest

Hey thanks

One has read the websites, but ive heard differences of who is and who isnt a "legendary" corps because they never won, or their not old enough, though I only want to know of the ones that are in existance, and what makes them a "legendary" corps, because I mean Phantom could be considered one I guess? but they arnt old enough from what ive been told.

They've been around longer than the Blue Devils.

Some of the "other" corps that I wish were still around (does that make them legendary?) from the 1970s include the 27th Lancers, Kilties (Scottish style corps from Racine, Wisconson), the Bridgemen, Capital Freelancers, the Skyriders, and the Argonne Rebels (there are, I'm sure, many more). If my memory serves me, all of these corps made finals at least once and most were multiple finalists. I suppose these are "legendary" to me because of style, uniforms, musical themes, etc.

What makes a corps "legendary" is debatable.

DCI founding corps in 1972:

Blue Stars

Cavaliers

Madison Scouts

Phantom Regiment

Santa Clara Vanguard

Troopers

Corps that came into the DCI fold during the 1970's

Blue Devils

Bluecoats

Blue Knights

Boston Crusaders

Colts

Crossmen

Holy Name Cadets (Garfield Cadets, Cadets of Bergen County, The Cadets)

Seattle Cascades

Spirit (Spirit of Atlanta)

Corps that came around in the 80's or early 90's:

Carolina Crown

Glassmen

Jersey Surf

Mandarins

Newest corps from the late 90's till now:

The Academy

Pacific Crest

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Garfield Cadets and Boston Crusaders were founding corps of DCI.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Garfield Cadets and Boston Crusaders were founding corps of DCI.

The six he listed were the Midwest Combine, right?

Some of the oldest corps who are still around:

Racine Scouts - 1927

The Cadets - 1934

Madison Scouts - 1938

The Cavaliers - 1948

And as far as what makes the Cavaliers legendary, well, Wikipedia says it best:

The corps has a long history of success in the competitive ranks of Drum Corps International (DCI) as well as the earlier VFW and American Legion Championship years in the 1950s–1970s. The Cavaliers have won more championships (Drum Corps International, VFW, American Legion, and Winter Guard International championships included) and contests than any other drum and bugle corps in the history of the activity. They are the only junior drum and bugle corps, besides the Blue Devils (1982 and 1994) to experience two undefeated seasons — 1961 and 2002. The Cavaliers also hold the record for the most consecutive victories of any drum and bugle corps with 63 first place finishes in a row over three seasons, breaking the previous record of 51 wins in a row held by the Blue Devils; the Cavaliers' streak was broken by the Blue Devils on July 26, 2003. The Cavaliers also achieved a three-peat in the winter color guard activity, winning the Winter Guard International Championship in 1981, 1982, and 1983. They have played for four Presidents of the United States (Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, and Lyndon Johnson).

Well, by legendary I mean the old guys that have that story behing them...

Every corps has a story behind them, regardless of how competitively successful they've been. Some of those stories are endlessly fascinating in their own right, and for any corps to survive this long and in this day and age, I'd say to an extent they are ALL legendary.

List of World Class Corps and their founding dates......

Academy - 2001

Blue Devils - 1957

Blue Knights - 1958

Blue Stars - 1964

Bluecoats - 1972

Boston Crusaders - 1940

The Cadets - 1934

Carolina Crown - 1990

Cascades - 1957

The Cavaliers - 1948

Colts - 1963

Crossmen - 1975

Glassmen - 1961

Jersey Surf - 1990

Madison Scouts - 1938

Mandarins - 1963

Pacific Crest - 1993

Phantom Regiment - 1956

Pioneer - 1973

Santa Clara Vanguard - 1967

Spirit - 1976

Troopers - 1957

There is one reason I stayed with Troopers and decided not to go somewhere else. Even in our dark days, being apart of corps with true legendary status was better than winning a world championship. Knowing your history is important when talking about modern drum corps.

One day the Troopers got onto a bus and traveled across the country to compete. Nobody had ever done it before. Hence, the beginning of touring drum corps.

If you watch videos from pre-DCI how many of them have curved formations? Probably one. The Troopers Sunburst.

James E. Jones, founder of the Troopers suggests breaking away from the VFW, CYO, World Open, and American Legion to start "our own thing." This led to DCI.

How many Drum Corps Drum Majors hung out with John Wayne in his hotel room? One, Jim McIntyre of the Troopers.

How many corps Drum Majors carry a gun? One, the Troopers DM.

Which corps was the first to march in a Presidential Inaugural Parade? Troopers.

Where did Wayne Downey say "it all started?" Casper, Wyoming. (From "Brass Roots")

For a video history lesson on the Troopers watch this

The six he listed were the Midwest Combine, right?

Some of the oldest corps who are still around:

Racine Scouts - 1927

The Cadets - 1934

Madison Scouts - 1938

The Cavaliers - 1948

And as far as what makes the Cavaliers legendary, well, Wikipedia says it best:

The Boston Crusaders were founded in 1940 as the Most Precious Blood Crusaders. In the mid 60's, before DCI was formed ,the Boston Crusaders were one of the best Corps of that era, and in 1967 battled it out with The Cavaliers ( called the Chicago Cavaliers then ) for top supremacy in Drum Corps. ( there were hundreds of competitors then for the top spot ) Incidentally, the only current DCI World Class Corps that the Boston Crusaders have never beaten in competition are the Blue Devils. As far as current World Class Corps go, the Troopers I might add, were at or near the top of the Drum Corps world in the latter stages of the 60's before DCI was formed as well.

Edited by BRASSO