What Scores ?

What does a judge have to see or hear to make the score they give out go down or up ? I can not figure this out. It seems to me that 6 corps can go out and do their shows and be .6 apart in a judges scores. Now with my ears I can hear way more tham .6 worth of differance. How does the judge arrive at only .6 differance in the score they put down ?

This is just a question , no real corps or judges were used to come up with this question.

Bill

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What does a judge have to see or hear to make the score they give out go down or up ? I can not figure this out. It seems to me that 6 corps can go out and do their shows and be .6 apart in a judges scores. Now with my ears I can hear way more tham .6 worth of differance. How does the judge arrive at only .6 differance in the score they put down ?

This is just a question , no real corps or judges were used to come up with this question.

Bill

Great question. How about 0.025? (real spread from last years finals)

I am also curious as to why the recap scores from DCP are slightly different than those posted on DCI... :shutup:

Great question. How about 0.025? (real spread from last years finals)

That microscopic spread was from the total scores of several judges, not just one, and the total is the coincidental math that resulted. Who could really hear the difference between Phantom and BD last year other than emotion? No one.

Our champions are the result of opinion and math. What the corps accomplish is up to them.

That microscopic spread was from the total scores of several judges, not just one, and the total is the coincidental math that resulted. Who could really hear the difference between Phantom and BD last year other than emotion? No one.

Our champions are the result of opinion and math. What the corps accomplish is up to them.

That was also the spread between Boston and Glassmen. What difference there? Wasn't emotion.

So it's what you do, not how well you do it ?

Bill

That was also the spread between Boston and Glassmen. What difference there? Wasn't emotion.

The difference would be one tenth of a point in one subcaption from one drum judge.

That is the answer to any question about a 0.025 difference in scores.

That's why scores are NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL!

Fun to look at but in the end it is 6-10 people. Do you really think anyone can tell the difference and expertly place the corps? You could put three of the best judges in the world together and they would each have a different result if they were judging the same captions.

It takes experience and a good amount of knowledge about the activity but they are still real people with real biases.

Edited by jetman1287

Fun to look at but in the end it is 6-10 people. Do you really think anyone can tell the difference and expertly place the corps? You could put three of the best judges in the world together and they would each have a different result if they were judging the same captions.

It takes experience and a good amount of knowledge about the activity but they are still real people with real biases.

I like how you assume that it's bias that would cause 3 different judges to come up with 3 different scores instead of, you know, watching/listening to different things at different times.

The brass judge, for example, is an on-the-field judge. He's sampling from different sections throughout the show. A different person will obviously be in a different spot at different times...thus they won't hear exactly the same thing. This is why getting everyone on the same level within the corps is so important, because you never know when a judge is going to sample YOU.

Let me make sure I understand this. Corps A could perform flawlessly and corps B could have a show that a judge likes and does not perform as well as corps A. The judge well give corps B a higher score ? How's that work ?

Bill