Official Show Thread Requests

Good morning DCP admin staff and mods. I have a couple of requests/ideas that I think would benefit the entire community. Some of this information was suggested by other members within last nights ATL regional show thread.

1. Show threads would work out better if they were in a subforum or in an open chat room.

My thought on this, the sub forum would be great ... open live chat probably isn't within your software capability, but a great idea. A live chat doesn't require archiving ... if you're not there to chime in while the show is taking place, you'll miss out on the fun and the instantaneous feedback opinions of those viewing the performances.

2. Somehow pin the threads and start sub threads between corps.

My thoughts: Not sure how this would work, but again, it makes some sense. Is there a way a Mod could put in a special post with exactly verbage that DCP'ers can search for .. that will let them know where a show stops and starts? IE: NOW ON THE FIELD - Madison Scouts .. whereas, ON THE FIELD would be the recurring verbage that members can search for directly.

3. Shut down show threads within 10 minutes of scores being announced. OR, shut it down directly after the last corps has performed.

My thoughts: This would cut down on the overzealous posting by those who want to flamebait. Closing the thread would allow members to start aftershow threads ... for scores discussion, predictions and all the back and forth that we're accustomed to. This would reduce the final size of the thread and make it easier to maneuver the thread should we want to look back the following day.

Thanks in advance for your consideration. I look forward to some feedback.

DCP members, please feel free to add your ideas and supporting thoughts to this thread. Please be realistic in your suggestions. If we can find ways to easily streamline and organize these threads, we'll all be better off.

Speaking only as a fellow DCP member, and not representing the thoughts of any other mod or admin:

1. Show threads would work out better if they were in a subforum or in an open chat room.

My thought on this, the sub forum would be great ... open live chat probably isn't within your software capability, but a great idea. A live chat doesn't require archiving ... if you're not there to chime in while the show is taking place, you'll miss out on the fun and the instantaneous feedback opinions of those viewing the performances.

I really like the idea for a subforum. Certainly the show threads are a class of topics that are easy to identify, and could be quickly grouped together. This would make it much easier to find discussion on a particular show, especially during the week when there might be multiple shows a night. I say that as someone who is familiar with DCP, but I imagine it would be beneficial to a new member as well, or even someone new to drum corps who just attended their first show the previous night.

Another reason I like the idea of a subforum is because of the nature of those types of threads. As you stated, there's a lot of chatter and fun that takes place in these threads, not all of it on topic. This is especially true of threads for shows that are shown on the Fan Network. I've never had a problem with that, because i think drum corps is a social activity and DCP should be a social place, but I can tell that some get annoyed when discussions that would get a different thread closed for being OT are allowed under show topics. I think having a separate subforum would recognize the different nature of those threads, while giving people a chance to post a little more freely, so long as discussion continues to come back around to the show.

2. Somehow pin the threads and start sub threads between corps.

My thoughts: Not sure how this would work, but again, it makes some sense. Is there a way a Mod could put in a special post with exactly verbage that DCP'ers can search for .. that will let them know where a show stops and starts? IE: NOW ON THE FIELD - Madison Scouts .. whereas, ON THE FIELD would be the recurring verbage that members can search for directly.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here. When you say "pin the threads", I think within that show topic subforum we could certainly pin the threads discussing that nights contest, with little manpower. That would draw attention to the appropriate place. The next morning we could unpin those threads, and pin the new ones.

As for posting within the thread, that's a whole separate task. I assume you're speaking of Fan Network shows, where there's instant opinion and feedback on each corps, but you have to sift through 100 pages to find it. Putting in a search term within those threads, like #Bluecoats, would help in finding that opinion. It's not a bad suggestion, but needs to come from the users. There is only a handful of moderators, and we can't be in the threads at all times when a show is taking place to be putting those markers in. Perhaps if you make this suggestion in the World Class forum, to people that regularly post in those threads, you could get them to take that step. I think this would be well received, actually.

3. Shut down show threads within 10 minutes of scores being announced. OR, shut it down directly after the last corps has performed.

My thoughts: This would cut down on the overzealous posting by those who want to flamebait. Closing the thread would allow members to start aftershow threads ... for scores discussion, predictions and all the back and forth that we're accustomed to. This would reduce the final size of the thread and make it easier to maneuver the thread should we want to look back the following day.

This is probably the only suggestion I'm against. Again, just speaking personally, but I'd rather have the after-show discussion et al contained within that same thread, rather than having many separate threads for what is essentially the same thing. As I noted earlier, show threads seem to drift to any number of topics, but it's generally been allowed. I think if you get the resolution you are looking for with your first two points, this third point won't be so much of a problem. We'll still have the World Class main forum for predictions and 'big picture' discussion. At the same time, if search terms are posted within a show thread then we can more easily sift through the chatter to find what we want, while still allowing the chatter that some enjoy. As for flaming that occurs, especially after scores are announced, that's best dealt with on an individual basis. If it violates the guidelines, report it. At the rate some of these threads move the mod team can't see everything that gets said. Of course, an overzealous fan might be obnoxious, but isn't necessarily in violation. Unfortunately that's just something that comes with the territory.

Thanks in advance for your consideration. I look forward to some feedback.

Thanks for your suggestions! I think you had some great ideas.

Speaking out of purely personal preference, I don't really like any of those ideas because I don't like navigating that much through forums, sub forums, sub sub forums, etc. A lot of times, something comes up in the middle of a specific show thread that prompts users to post more generalized topics in the main forum, and that's where the funnest discussions often occur in the middle of shows.