I'm a little surprised to day

It was my post. I used the word "Hackneyed" to describe the Troopers horn arrangements. I was actually quoting someone from Soundmachine chat page--and I agree w/ the idea that the Troopers horn parts are not as sophisticated and professionally arranged as the Colts-- to me they just don't "sound" as good. But really the post was about my frustration w/ the judges inability or unwillingness to recognize the Colts pleasing horn arrangements.

If what you have to say offends no one, it probably is not that interesting. I understand some people do love to be offended, and to them I'd just like to say "your welcome!"

I get what you're saying, and it's okay, and I have offended folks myself, and I won't even say inadvertently. I usually, for myself, try to keep it to individuals and not with corps because when I get personal with a corps I'm getting personal with hundreds of folks that I have no idea about.

The idea of criticising show elements is a really interesting one to me. My question is always - ok, explain that - what about the voicing (especially if someone uses a specific term like voicing) and I may not say it as I don't want to get involved in a war, but I always wonder what were the poster's musical quaifications.

The reason that's interesting is that we don't ask people to have degrees in music to be impressed with musical effects. We shouldn't ask them to be qualified to express a lack of approval. It's just that if someone makes a specific claim, e.g. "voicing, spatial composition, color coordination, pacing, etc. etc. etc. I for one want to hear specifically what there is about those categories that was the issue.

One of the reasons is that a good portion, or at least a significant portion of DCPers are young musicians. Everything they encounter is part of a learning experience. How many times have you seen someone hear or read a criticism and adopt it as their own without really getting the essence of it.

Finally, the flame wars are interesting, sometimes. I honestly felt sort of like a goof that my thread turned into what was wrong with corps rather than what was right with others, and that a lack of success for one corps could only be attributed to the shortcomings of a judge or judges. If they're getting it wrong for the 14th place corps, in all likelihood they're getting it wrong for 1, 2, and 3.

And why all this BS, specifically from me? Well, among other reasons because I taught brass to a corps who was in at Quarterfinals and out at Semifinals, and it takes a lot to come to grips with that and realize that it's not due to a flawed system, or even a flawed corps or performance. It's what happened that night.

That's what I was trying to say, albeit badly. I asked a naive question. There's an old saying - if you're afraid of the response, don't ask the question. Even at my age, you gotta try to keep learning.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just surprised that the followers, fans, devotees of at very least the three corps I mentioned aren't making themselves heard loud and clear, or loud and even louder with their corps knocking at the door.

Am I missing the big picture here? Is it over?

Perhaps some corps (and their followers) prefer that the competition take place on the field, and not on the internet.

It is hardly over. I seem to recall a team in white who was in fourth place going into quaterfinals last year, who wound up winning it all.

It ain't over 'til its over.

HTTB

i have a friend on Colts staff. I wish him the best....... but my heart is pulling for the Troopers

Perhaps some corps (and their followers) prefer that the competition take place on the field, and not on the internet.

It is hardly over. I seem to recall a team in white who was in fourth place going into quaterfinals last year, who wound up winning it all.

It ain't over 'til its over.

HTTB

Interesting point. Sometimes I think that DCP is actually a representative cross-sample of drum corps fans.

Perhaps not.