This or last

Blue Devils - 2008. I absolutely loved this show, and thought it should have won.

Cavies - 2008. I've always liked Samurai. Mountain climbing is boring.

CC - 2008. 2009 is probably technically superior, but this show is far more entertaining.

HNC - 2009. Hey, this show doesn't annoy me!

SCV - 2008. I really like 2009, but for whatever reason SCV had my 2nd favorite show last year.

Bluecoats - 2008. I thought getting away from pop culture would help Bluecoats, but 2009 is not what I meant...

PR - 2008. 2009 show is pretty half-#####, which is ironic considering they have half of a violin.

BAC - 2009. So far, my favorite show of the year.

BS - 2008. Child Labor Laws, the show. No thanks... I liked them last year even though they kicked our butts.

BK - 2009. First BK show I've liked in a while.

Glassmen - 2009. Although I also marched last year, this show is better, and the corps is better. I've gotten over it.

Troopers - 2009. They have the visual package as well this year.

:thumbup: I usually don't like to use the same emoticon twice in one thread, but do you have any idea what the Blue Stars 09 show is about?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personal opinion coming from people with greater than average knowledge of an activity creates so much bickering. That's why there is so much of that here on DCP, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Debate is good. (I want to emphasize that I am NOT being a smart-### here.) That's why I think it really says something that there is such a concensus for PR 09 (not ONE vote.) Even though 08 was a mammoth show with which to compare it, no matter how low a show scores, it has its supporters if it moves the audience. This is simply not the case this year.

I know it's stupid to post something this reflective here. I have just wondered over the past few weeks what PR will learn from this year? Maybe they make changes accordingly, like Cadets did so well this year?

Personal opinion coming from people with greater than average knowledge of an activity creates so much bickering. That's why there is so much of that here on DCP, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Debate is good. (I want to emphasize that I am NOT being a smart-### here.) That's why I think it really says something that there is such a concensus for PR 09 (not ONE vote.) Even though 08 was a mammoth show with which to compare it, no matter how low a show scores, it has its supporters if it moves the audience. This is simply not the case this year.

I know it's stupid to post something this reflective here. I have just wondered over the past few weeks what PR will learn from this year? Maybe they make changes accordingly, like Cadets did so well this year?

they will bounce back and but in the race again next year.

BD - 08. Not even close.

Cavies - eh. Not sure. I'll say 09.

Crown - 09. It's coming together quite nicely. 08 is wonderful too.

Cadets - 09. cleaner, better, more interesting.

SCV - 09, though I loved 08 as well.

Bluecoats - 08. Don't like this year much.

Phantom - 08.

Boston - 09. Clean(er than last year), intense, and just plain out fun to watch. One of my favorites this year.

Blue Stars - hard to say. 09, I guess. Love both shows.

BK - 08. Not much of a fan of 09... really wish they had kept on the darker path.

Glassmen - 08. This one is pretty close too.

Madison - 09, actually. Much less clean, but I think it's definitely fun to listen to.

2008 :

Phantom Regiment

Cavaliers

Carolina Crown

Glassmen

Spirit

Madison Scouts

Blue Stars

2009 :

Blue Devils

SC Vanguard

Boston Crusaders

Holy Name Cadets

Blue Knights

Troopers

Bluecoats

Academy

Mandarins

Crossmen

Colts

[

Well, it seems pretty clear to me that the message is this:

have a theme that people can readily understand. Corps that have themes that are clear and concise motivate the Corps members to do their best, and these shows connect with judges and fans alike.

Phantom Regiment is exhibit A..... 2008 " Spartacus "........ 2009 ? " something to do with a Red Violin and Women who fight over it "

Santa Clara Vanguard, Boston Crusaders, Holy Name Cadets, Cavaliers, Blue Devils, etc all have easily identifiable themes.

The Madison Scouts have " POW ".......and got lost in the fog of a confused theme as well, and thus their season's aspirations also got " POW'ed "

:thumbup: I usually don't like to use the same emoticon twice in one thread, but do you have any idea what the Blue Stars 09 show is about?

That is just the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the show the first time in Fairfield. I don't seriously think that's what it is about. Anyways, I like Le Tour far better than Factory.

Blue Devils - 2008. 2nd favorite BD show of the decade (behind 2004). If they had won, I would have been happy. (I was still super pumped for Regiment though, I guess it was win-win). I do love their show this year though. The past few years have been awesome for BD.

Cavaliers - 2008. Their show this year is worse than '05, and that's saying something. Seriously, WTF? Why did they think a geographic feature would make a good theme for a drum corps show? Stick to your characters, Cavies. A superhero theme would be a good fit.

Carolina Crown - 2008. I don't like how I had no idea what was going on in this show until I listened to the San Antonio commentary. Until that point all I could gather was that they had green plumes and the guard looked like Peter Pan. 2008, on the other hand, was epic, and is BY FAR the most played track on my 2008 CD.

Holy Name Cadets - 2009. I'm not really a huge fan of West Side Story (before my time, sorry...), but anything is better than Sarah Jones. And they march fast while wailing. I like this. If they win, I won't be upset.

Santa Clara Vanguard - 2009. Holy brassline SCV! Dare I say they sound better than 2004? And yet... the untrained ear might think they were listening to Crown playing at mezzo forte (lol). Seriously though, this one was tough. I loved 3hree, but I in the end I love the new niche they are carving for themselves even more. And I love wailing company fronts. And marching clean. All good things.

Bluecoats - 2008. The Knockout was a bad-### show. I still wish they would have at least attempted to inject some masculinity into the boxers, and maybe found an announcer that wasn't 17 years old... but still, incredible show. One of my favorite brass moments of all time, you know what I'm talking about.

Phantom Regiment - 2008. I feel like this one is a trick question. Spartacus holds the record for most murders in one DCI show. 'Nuff said. Plus, I sponsored two dudes in the corps last year, and went to high school with a couple prominent members. Oh, and best pre-show ever.

Boston Crusaders - 2009. I'm exciting to see these guys kicking ### again. I've always loved their style, and this year's show is great for them.

Blue Stars - 2008. Great show. Cheesy as hell, but great.

Blue Knights - 2009. Holy crap, this show isn't boring! No offense to BK fans of course. I just haven't been able to really get into their stuff until this year. I think, from a show design standpoint, they will place higher than they currently are. Clean it up BK!

Glassmen - 2009. See Blue Knights.

Troopers - 2009. YES! Troop making finals might just make me even happier than seeing Regiment's drum major get speared on the podium. This show is so clever and perfect for them. Go Troopers!

That's my take. Please do not be offended by any of my comments. I'm in a silly mood. :P

Edited by I play the baritone good

I think the reason Phantom 2009 has no votes on this thread has more to do with 2008 being so outstanding than 2009 being so bad.

bringing this back since the season is almost over