12th Place Upsets

I'm starting to be cautiously optimistic that Troop will make Finals and I can finally check that off of my Bucket List. However, the season is not over and things could change.

People talk about last minute surprises, and make it seem that it happens all the time. I think it happens significantly less and we just remember the upsets. So, let's make a list. Where were the Finals shockers in modern scoring?

I can think of three years off of the top of my head:

1993, 2003, 2008. There's a possibility that you could include 1994 with Boston's victory at Quarterfinals. What other years did the clear leader falter in the last week?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to be cautiously optimistic that Troop will make Finals and I can finally check that off of my Bucket List. However, the season is not over and things could change.

People talk about last minute surprises, and make it seem that it happens all the time. I think it happens significantly less and we just remember the upsets. So, let's make a list. Where were the Finals shockers in modern scoring?

1993, 2003, 2008. There's a possibility that you could include 1994 with Boston's victory at Quarterfinals. What other years did the clear leader falter in the last week?

1979, when Troopers beat Crossmen to make finals.

I know some people would talk about 1979 Crossmen slipping into 13th after being clocked by Troopers for the first time all season. Actually if you go to corpsreps.org and check 1979 - you will see a VERY odd score ranking:

12 - 77.900 Troopers (finals score)

13 - 81.700 Crossmen (prelims score)

Now how can this be, you ask? It's a long story - but when Crossmen lost in prelims to Troopers in the afternoon, they were asked to come back that night to perform in the Associates Championships. Ironically, the score they got would have beat Troopers, Cavaliers Blue Stars, Northstars, Madison, and Guardsmen at finals the next day. They came up six points - from 81.7 to 86.15 - in one day.

To be fair - Troopers perfomance that morning was one for the ages.

BTW - not noted in many official records, but here are the Associate Champions from 1979:

1 Crossmen 86.150

2 Offensive Lions 78.600

3 Freelancers 78.000

4 Garfield Cadets 77.300

5 Royal Crusaders 75.800

Mav

1992. The difference between 12th and 13th was one-tenth of a point. And it was deservedly close, as well.

'79 is going to be hard to beat. This year it would be comparable to PR or Boston failing to make Finals and Madison grabbing the 12th slot.

Another upset from the tick era would have to be the 1978 Kilties. Count the major changes for them that season - director leaves the corps before the nationals tour, the experiment with combined snare/tenor drums is trashed mid season, and the corps returns to a traditional battery, and the closer of Billy the Kid is dumped in favor of a return to Scotland the Brave/Syne.

Oh yeah - the corps also went coed!

If you look at the beginning of August, this corps had no shot at finals. But there they were that night in Denver.

In 1988, Sky Ryders came from a 15th place slot to place 12th at semis. I say slotted only because we had not beaten Freelancers or Crossmen even once in any meetings prior to that. We had not even competed against Dutch Boy at a show and they had been beating Crossmen as well when they had met at other shows. That was my first year marching and '88 semis was without question the single most exciting surprise of my whole drum corps career.

and a great example of home field advantage. Kansas City may be in MO but it still has Kansas in the name...close enough.

Our drum major in '92 SCV had marched with Dutch Boy in '88 and I am positive he was still sore about that night.

Man, 2003 bummed me out. That was the year I fell in love with the Blue Knights, who were sitting in 12th at Indy. Unfortunately they didn't make finals, and therefore didn't make it onto the DVD.

1994 was a big one. Boston came in looking at 12th and i think the Colts shocked everyone with their first ever finals appearance and snuck in there after semi-finals making BAC wait another 5 years. Let me know if i got this one right or not.