12th Place Upsets

(snip) There was one thing about Hutch that year... they were HUNGRY for that 12th spot. Every time we saw them at a show it seemed that they were using their warm-up time for visual rehearsal. They had the drive and the desire and the right corps made finals that year. We might have been in battle, but looking back, it was an honor to share the field with them in 1988.

I've posted most of this on other threads before but, it's always fun to restate my thoughts & emotional memories (the older I get, the harder it is to recall the details :devil: ).

And Jason, here's to the 88 Freelancers as well! :worthy:

From corpsreps.com

1988 Freelancers - The Music of John Williams

• Adventures on Earth (from E.T.)
  • Yoda's Theme (from Star Wars)
  • Forest Battle
  • Adventures on Earth (from E.T.)

I always thought Freelancers had a great show in 88. I can remember they had some pretty tasty horn parts that year too. I remember standing on the side watching them at Drums Along The Rockies waiting for retreat (back then still at Mile High Stadium) and really loving the big rolling arrangement of "Yoda's Theme". The soloist was awesome that night, great big fat sound.

Your cool opener was from the scene in E.T. when the kids sneak E.T. out and then end up flying their bikes through the sky. The corps came off the line doing some hissing type stuff and some kinda horn visuals. Fairly simple by today's standards, but back then it was memorable, IMO. There was this fiery energy about the corps. Then the hornline completely opened up into a huge impact of the E.T. main theme. It was pretty cool. (Until SCV's company front this year, it had been quite a while since I've heard any hornline let loose like that.)

Sky did come into Kansas City and lay it all on the line. Very risky by today's standards but we probably felt we had nothing to lose back then by playing it safe. I'm sure our Semi's performance was a real "blow the walls back, barn burner". And with Rob Dunham's teaching/inspiration we were not afraid to let go. (Night and day difference between his style and the "Beat you down and cut you out" approach of our 87 brass staff. I'll always remember the 88 season for a lot of things - most of which are due to the contrast with 87. We just plain had fun in 88.

Anybody out there end up with a video of Sky 88 Semi-finals? Did they even sell that back then? I bet that would be fun to watch. (Where's my "Wayback Machine" when I need it? :worthy: )

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While Blue Stars seemed to be a lock for finals this time last year, they were a full 2.5 out of 8th place with two weeks left, so I'd say it counts as an upset, I don't think ANYONE thought they would surge and take 8th at this point in the season last year.

1994 was a big one. Boston came in looking at 12th and i think the Colts shocked everyone with their first ever finals appearance and snuck in there after semi-finals making BAC wait another 5 years. Let me know if i got this one right or not.

colts broke into finals in 1993

So yeah some upsets come to mind and they all have to do with my beloved BK.... 1990,1995, 1996, 2002, and 2003....

1990- as somemone had already said was a pivotal point in BK history, trying to break into finals for the first time ever. BK and DB went back and forth but it was Dutch Boy's name called out as a finalist...

1995- Following a 7th place year in '94, BK went to do something differnt and played a jazz show.... The BK drumline that year I believe at various points in the year were in the top 5, but it wasn't enough in the end and they got ousted from finals, placing 13th...

1996- Following a year that the corps got it's heart broken, these guys with the smallest hornline in history to make finals (42 I believe) put on a late season surge and popped into the 12 spot at finals with Rocky Point Holiday.

2002- Following the Cartoon Disaster of '01, BK came out with renewed vengance... They held steady all season making finals at the various big shows until Semis, when a little Div. II corps that had come back to life from folding made history and forever changed the rules about Div II corps competing against Div I. The corps that ended up 10th that year as a Div II corps was???? Magic of Orlando!

2003- Much like '02 and following a gut wrenching, spot taken away from them at the end moment, BK had a similiar event happen as Spirit I believe came alive at the last second and beat them for 12th...

Lot's of ouch moments in the quest for that finals spot, but lots of triumphs as well.... I cried the night BK's score put them safely into finals in 2004.... Chamionships were in Denver and that must have been the coolest way to get back into the big show!! Wished I could've been there!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Edited by wesleyrp

Jeff - Sky Ryders beat Freelancers several times in 88. We never beat Crossmen during the regular season (though were always within a couple of points), and never saw Dutch Boy until Semis. We had an unreal performance. Going on last in almost a home show didn't hurt either.

You you are right about Freelancers. We had beaten them but they had been beating us right before finals week. I had forgotten about the back and forth. ("beating" and "beaten" are probably the wrong words, but I don't know of another one). We were definitely right there together throughout the season.

Edited by jplattSCV

1992. The difference between 12th and 13th was one-tenth of a point. And it was deservedly close, as well.

Funny...I was looking at my old Sky scores from 92 and in MN a week or so before finals we were 0.1 back of Freelancers who placed 10th, I think? Dang it. I still root for Glassmen, Boston and Spirit to this day since they survived my SkyRyders!

Our drum major in '92 SCV had marched with Dutch Boy in '88 and I am positive he was still sore about that night.

He was probably bitter over 91, if memory serves. Sky kind of snuck into Finals...couldn't have had anything to do with their new address or finals being in Dallas, could it? Poor Dutch Boy.

1994 was a big one. Boston came in looking at 12th and i think the Colts shocked everyone with their first ever finals appearance and snuck in there after semi-finals making BAC wait another 5 years. Let me know if i got this one right or not.

Tell me Boston made finals in 94...that just wouldn't be fair otherwise. :worthy:

Actually Colts made their first appearance placing 12th at finals in 1993.

Beat me to it.

1996- Following a year that the corps got it's heart broken, these guys with the smallest hornline in history to make finals (42 I believe) put on a late season surge and popped into the 12 spot at finals with Rocky Point Holiday.

Stockton Commodores made finals in 1973 with 28 horns.

An interesting thing about this corps.

their 72.25 is the lowest score ever in DCI finals

Edited by bluecoats88

Thanks for the accurate correction.... I wasn't sure, but I knew BK '96 was one of the top smallest hornlines of all time... Thought it was the smallest but obviously not!

Wes P

So yeah some upsets come to mind and they all have to do with my beloved BK.... 1990,1995, 1996, 2002, and 2003....

1990- as somemone had already said was a pivotal point in BK history, trying to break into finals for the first time ever. BK and DB went back and forth but it was Dutch Boy's name called out as a finalist...

1995- Following a 7th place year in '94, BK went to do something differnt and played a jazz show.... The BK drumline that year I believe at various points in the year were in the top 5, but it wasn't enough in the end and they got ousted from finals, placing 13th...

2002- Following the Cartoon Disaster of '01, BK came out with renewed vengance... They held steady all season making finals at the various big shows until Semis, when a little Div. II corps that had come back to life from folding made history and forever changed the rules about Div II corps competing against Div I. The corps that ended up 10th that year as a Div II corps was???? Magic of Orlando!

2003- Much like '02 and following a gut wrenching, spot taken away from them at the end moment, BK had a similiar event happen as Spirit I believe came alive at the last second and beat them for 12th...

Lot's of ouch moments in the quest for that finals spot, but lots of triumphs as well.... I cried the night BK's score put them safely into finals in 2004.... Chamionships were in Denver and that must have been the coolest way to get back into the big show!! Wished I could've been there!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

11th, we took the #10 spot back from Magic at finals that year.

Sadly that's a BK show I really didn't get to even see from the back at all in 02. Since the two corps finished 13th and 14th respectively in 01 we always went on right after or before BK. Not to mention that the two corps didn't tour much together that year really limiting any viewing chances. It's still one of the shows I watch the most whenever I pull out the tapes and I'm still not sure how they fell short.