DCI vs GenCon

Appreciate the heads up.

I think I may try and make a reservation for next year (2010) when I check out of my hotel this year. Catch ... I know some hotels only allow reservations to be made 51 weeks in advance. I'm going to try it anyways ... they can only say no you have to wait.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

GenCon is in fine shape. GenCon West was losing money and weighed down the company. That has been dealt with. GenCon, itself, has been healthy and will be around for a good long while.

Edit: And I just placed the suggestion for corps performing at GenCon in an industry forum where GenCon's owner is also a member. We'll see if it gets a response.

Well, check this out, from Wikipedia's Gencon article. Not having an MBA, I don't understand the situation as well as you do, perhaps, but I'm not sure I'd agree that they're on solid financial ground yet.

On February 15, 2008, Gen Con LLC announced that it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, citing "significant unforeseen expenses associated with ... externally licensed events". [5] As a result of the bankruptcy filing, the Lucasfilm lawsuit has been delayed until November 19, 2008.[33] Gen Con Indy 2008 was held as planned.

On November 20, 2008, a letter of intent to purchase Gen Con LLC's assets was filed with the bankruptcy court. It announced that a to-be-formed company called Gen Con Acquisition Group would purchase Gen Con LLC., with the purchase price being set equal to Gen Con LLC's outstanding debt.[34][35] Gen Con LLC President, Adrian Swartout, described the letter as "suspiciously cryptic" and that after review "is not in the best interest of our creditors."[36] Gen Con plans to disregard the letter of intent.[36]

Appreciate the heads up.

I think I may try and make a reservation for next year (2010) when I check out of my hotel this year. Catch ... I know some hotels only allow reservations to be made 51 weeks in advance. I'm going to try it anyways ... they can only say no you have to wait.

Last year, you couldn't even book 51 weeks out...with the lock DCI had on rooms, all the hotels showed no availability for the dates. I found that going through DCI, the rate wasn't all that bad, we are staying at the Omni for about a buck and a half a night....

Appreciate the heads up.

I start checking hotel chain websites every day right around DCI week until the one I want opens its reservations for the next year. Sometimes rooms show up for a hotel that a week or two later gets blocked out for the convention, so it's worth trying. Check every day until you get what you want. Of course, some hotels never do appear, because they are blocked out for the convention before reservations open and the convention sells them out, so you need more than one hotel choice for this strategy to work, but it has worked for me in the past so I can get one place I know is good.

And yes, even in the chains that have the 51 week policy, there seems to be some discretion allowed individual hotel managers in some of the chains to allow people, for example, who stayed for the convention the previous year to get first crack at the rooms for the same convention next year. This is done in the hotel, not by the chain, so you need to ask about it in the place you stay before you check out, to see if they'll allow it. It's in their interest, because repeat business means you know, like, and trust each other, so it's good for both sides.

Edited by Peel Paint

Well, check this out, from Wikipedia's Gencon article. Not having an MBA, I don't understand the situation as well as you do, perhaps, but I'm not sure I'd agree that they're on solid financial ground yet.

As I said, the GenCon West convention was dragging down the company. That has been dealt with. GenCon has always made money and the company is now doing fine. Those of us in the adventure games industry look forward to GenCon on an enduring basis--and, yes, we get better information on it than Wikipedia does. Granted, if half the gamers stay home this year due to the economy, then next year's convention may not happen; aside from a catastrophe of that magnitude, however, the convention will live on.

One of the initial reactions from the industry list: "Klingons vs Stormtroopers vs Pirates vs Anime Characters vs Drum Corps?"

As I said, the GenCon West convention was dragging down the company. That has been dealt with. GenCon has always made money and the company is now doing fine. Those of us in the adventure games industry look forward to GenCon on an enduring basis--and, yes, we get better information on it than Wikipedia does. Granted, if half the gamers stay home this year due to the economy, then next year's convention may not happen; aside from a catastrophe of that magnitude, however, the convention will live on.

One of the initial reactions from the industry list: "Klingons vs Stormtroopers vs Pirates vs Anime Characters vs Drum Corps?"

Judging from the Comic-Con attendance last week in San Diego (where I live, and have attended Comic-Con for the last decade or so), which I assume caters to a similar niche group, though on a MUCH larger scale, attendance is healthy. The Con had record turn-outs again (sold out WELL before July), though to be honest I heard that sales in the Exhibit hall were down from previous years.

Thanks for the head's up on this situation. Those of us who might attend Finals on a whim will have to rethink plans and make reservations earlier rather than later.

Judging from the Comic-Con attendance last week in San Diego (where I live, and have attended Comic-Con for the last decade or so), which I assume caters to a similar niche group, though on a MUCH larger scale, attendance is healthy. The Con had record turn-outs again (sold out WELL before July), though to be honest I heard that sales in the Exhibit hall were down from previous years.

Thanks for the head's up on this situation. Those of us who might attend Finals on a whim will have to rethink plans and make reservations earlier rather than later.

The last time I went to ComicCon was the first year in the then new convo center....I'm amazed they had to restrict some attendance because they've about outgrown the place!