Drum Corps in 3D?

Did anyone check out the 3D fan network video? It features a few corps performances this year in 3D (you have to have the 3D glasses).

As far as I know, this is not possible. In order to see a 3D image (with today's 3D technology), you have to have 3D glasses with polarized lenses in them AND a way to project that 3D image properly. At the theater where I work, this entails a small glass screen that moves into position in front of the projector lens to enable the 3D effect. I'm still a little fuzzy on the details, but I'm pretty sure this kind of 3D is not possible on your typical home computer monitor.

As far as I know, this is not possible. In order to see a 3D image (with today's 3D technology), you have to have 3D glasses with polarized lenses in them AND a way to project that 3D image properly. At the theater where I work, this entails a small glass screen that moves into position in front of the projector lens to enable the 3D effect. I'm still a little fuzzy on the details, but I'm pretty sure this kind of 3D is not possible on your typical home computer monitor.

You can watch 3D on your home monitor. Check out the FN video!

3D drum corps looks very interesting! I need a pair of 3d glasses now!

You want drum corps in 3D? Go buy a ticket! >.<

Edited by scvjesse
  • Like 7

Hey Guys,

There are different types of 3d viewing technology. The basic premise is that you display 2 images, left and right eye, and have some device that filters each eye so that it sees its respective image. The 2 images overlap, with a slight perspective warp (the closer the object is to the camera, the more it is offset left to right between the left and right eye images).

With a good capture (the image overlaps, lines up vertically, and the objects are offset left to right within a comfortable range), and good viewing mechanism (each eye gets a reasonably clean lf / rt image), your brain will put the two images together as it normally does, and you perceive depth.

Cardman - the technology you speak of is 'polarization', the technique used at the theaters. Two individual images are projected (one for each eye), one is positively polarized, the other negative. You where glasses that have one pos and one negatively polarized lens, therefore one lens sees only the + image, and the other the -. That way, you see a clean stereo image, as each eye sees it's respective view.

The technique used for the drum corps videos is called 'anaglyph'. The means to display and filter 2 seperate image is by using the RGB channels of your monitor (red Green Blue). While you only have one monitor, it has 3 separate color channels. So, you can capture a left and right eye image with 2 cameras, and put the left eye into the red channel, the right eye into the blue, and some data into the green (there are different ways to handle the green, sometimes it's alright to just put the right eye into the green channel).

You wear red / green glasses : the red lens blocks out the red in the image so you only see green/blue (right eye image), the blue lens blocks out the blue so that you only see red / green (left eye image).

Obviously this technique is not as nice and is prone to what we call 'stereo artifacts'. These occur when one eye sees part of the other eye's image - it blows the effect. If the tint of the glasses does not perfectly match the monitor, not all the red/blue color is filtered out. Also, you have the problem that neither lens filters out green, so it's visible in both eyes. Anyway, for what it is, it can still do a reasonably good job of tricking your eyes into seeing depth.

##############

btw - I built my own cheapie 3d camera last year, and brought it on the road with me while touring with the Phantom Regiment. I got some pretty cool 3d videos. The only issue is that they were cheap HD video cams (it was just an experient), with a major flaw of having a low refresh rate. So, each frame only updates about 1/3 of the image. So, it takes 3 frames to refresh a full image. So, when there is a lot of movement, the 3d effect breaks down.

But, despite that, I got some pretty cool footage.

I was really busy last year (working on a movie G-Force, which just came out), so I never got around to processing all the footage. Things are a little slower for me, so hopefully I can finish putting it all together. I was hoping to make a dvd for the '08 corps members, and give the footage to Rick Valenzuela, to see if he wanted to do anything with it.

It's not very professional, as it was a test, but some of it is pretty cool. I was hoping to build a better rig and come back on tour get better footage. But, it looks like someone beat me to it. :)

I worked on my first stereo 3d project in 2006, and all I could think about is how this stereo technology was going to change sports coverage and drum corps. :)

btw - home stereo technology is coming soon! In the next 5 years, this will be very common.

small correction to part of my post (sorry for the typos) :

You wear red / *BLUE* glasses : the red lens blocks out the red in the image so you only see green/blue (right eye image), the blue lens blocks out the blue so that you only see red / green (left eye image).

Again, both eyes see the green, which is why you get a 'ghosting' effect.

• Like 1